Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Higuain, Palacio & Gago, New targets

dimival
post Nov 8 2006, 11:13 AM
Post #1

Pulcini 97

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 361

Those three guys can reinforce our squad in the winter.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

misha
post Nov 8 2006, 05:19 PM
Post #2

Allievi Regionali B

Member No.: 787

Higuain & Gago would be nice (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Nov 8 2006, 05:52 PM
Post #3

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,865

misha...can you give me a profile? Wiki doesn't have much, and I'm not looking for videos...

+Quote Post

misha
post Nov 8 2006, 06:03 PM
Post #4

Allievi Regionali B

Higuain ponders tough choice

When his wife gave birth to a bouncing baby boy named Gonzalo in 1987, the then Brest defender Jorge Nicolas Higuain could have had little idea of the dilemma his newborn son would face some 19 years later.
Within 12 months the unmistakably combative central defender, known as Pipa in his playing days, had ended his sojourn in the French league and returned to Argentina, where his youngest son would follow his footsteps into professional football. Despite having played less than 20 league games to date with River Plate, Gonzalo's form has been so impressive that he is now contemplating the biggest decision of his burgeoning career.

After being alerted to the free-scoring striker's nationality, France coach Raymond Domenech has been keeping close tabs on his stunning performances with the Buenos Aires giants which, incidentally, is exactly what Albiceleste boss Alfio Basile has also been doing. With Argentina U-20 coach Hugo Tocalli now pressing for his inclusion in the squad ahead of the forthcoming South American Championship, the time has come for Higuain Jr to decide where his heart lies.

And yet, the dilemma would never have arisen but for an oversight by his father all those years ago. "All this has come up because of my ignorance," explained Higuain Sr. "If I'd gone to Paris and registered his birth with the Argentine Embassy, this mess would never have happened," he added.

"I wasn't able to register him in Argentina, as it had all become too complicated by then. It was easier to do it at the French consulate, where they helped me so that he could at least have a document of some kind. It's my fault he's not Argentinian," he lamented, while also confirming that the French Federation had been in touch to enquire about his son's availability.

The one plus point for Higuain in all this is that any future move to European football would be made easier by the fact he holds EU nationality. Should he decide to run out for the Albiceleste however, he would have his French passport rescinded. The pressure on the young marksman has increased even more in recent days with Domenech declaring an interest in the player and Basile confirming he would be working with a team of home-based players ahead of the 2007 Copa America.

Surrounded by cameras and microphones wherever he goes, these are dizzying times for the boy they call Pipita, in tribute to his father. Now a permanent fixture in the River starting line-up thanks to his lightning speed, change of pace and eye for goal, he struck twice in the recent 3-1 win over deadly rivals Boca Juniors, and finds himself at the centre of a tug-of-war between two of the world's top footballing nations.

"I'm young and I've got a long career in front of me," said the youngster. "Nothing's been decided yet and I can't say anything until a decision has been made. I'm going to talk it over with my family, and I'll make the right choice." All the indications are though, that that decision will come soon rather than later. January's South American U-20 Championship in Paraguay is just around the corner and Higuain is very much part of coach Tocalli's plans.

"I feel more Argentinian than anything else because I don't speak a word of French," explained Higuain, who last season turned down a chance to play for the Argentina U-18 team.

According to his agent Norberto Recassens, who as fate would have it also looks after Basile's interests, the teenager has already made his mind up: "The kid wants to play for Argentina, and I know Coco [Basile] is an admirer."

Domenech is nothing if not persistent however, and recently cranked up the pressure by saying the accidental Frenchman was in his thoughts as a possible option up front. "There aren't many youngsters who can play like Higuain and we're following him closely."

The youngest member of the Higuain clan was born on 10 December 1987 in Brest, France. Within a year his father had signed for River Plate, and it was with the Buenos Aires club's youth team that Higuain Jr began his career.

He made his debut for the Millonarios on 30 May 2005 under coach Leonardo Astrada, a one-time team-mate of his father's. Despite his obvious talents, Higuain made a patchy start in the first team but soon shot to prominence with some impressive and no less vital goals, including a brace to knock Brazilian big guns Corinthians out of last season's Copa Libertadores, and the winner in the Buenos Aires derby.

Having established himself as Daniel Passarella's first-choice striker, he is now River's top scorer in the Apertura championship. The only question now is, where will his allegiances lie come next February's friendly between France and Argentina? The answer is anyone's guess, but one thing is for sure: the battle between Bleus and Albicelestes has only just begun.

Fifa.com

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Nov 8 2006, 06:09 PM
Post #5

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,865

Thanks misha...he sounds like an Oli type....is it wise to have an argentine among us...granted we don't have pricks in our team for Brazillians but still...

+Quote Post

misha
post Nov 8 2006, 06:24 PM
Post #6

Allievi Regionali B

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Nov 8 2006, 07:09 PM)
is it wise to have an argentine among us...granted we don't have pricks in our team for Brazillians but still...

I don't think it will be a problem...

+Quote Post

misha
post Nov 8 2006, 06:31 PM
Post #7

Allievi Regionali B

Player to Watch: Argentina's Palacio rises to prominence

From playing in front of a handful of supporters in a wooden stand, he now has his name chanted by 57,000 fans in the Bombonera. From wearing the colours of a humble provincial side in the lower divisions, he now dons his country’s famous albiceleste. These last few years have been nothing if not eventful for the young Argentine.
Rodrigo Palacio's rise to fame has been as sudden as it has been unexpected. As a blond-haired pencil-thin youngster, he cut a dash on the playing fields of his native Bahia Blanca, where people first began to predict a bright future for the player. But not even his father – himself a gifted striker – could have imagined that by 23 his son would have signed for Boca Juniors, made his full international debut and become one of the country's most talked-about young players.

“I’m not an out-and-out goal-scorer”
In mid-2002, Palacio began his ascent through the ranks of Argentine football with a move from fourth division side Bella Vista to Huracan, a team in the second division.

Such were the quality of Palacio’s performances there that in July 2003, while the player and his agent were in Spain for talks with Racing Santander and Alaves, word came from Argentina that first division Banfield were keen to secure his signature. “They won’t take no for an answer,” Palacio’s agent told him. This was all the assurance that the player needed to return immediately to his country and sign for the club. From that point on, his star has been steadily on the rise.

So what makes him so special? One of his former team-mates at Banfield, Eduardo Bustos Montoya, tries to explain: “His precision while running with the ball is superb. There aren’t many players in Argentina who can match his ability when it comes to taking the ball wide down the flanks in the style of the old greats. That’s where Rodrigo comes into his own. He’ll bolt down the outside, left or right, and simply take you apart. I used to go through the middle and just wait for his delivery. The guy can break, he can cross and he can score. He’s the complete package."

In the 2003-2004 season, Palacio found the net 11 times, a tally that had some labelling him a natural goalscorer. It’s an accolade that Palacio finds flattering, though a little wide of the mark. “I wouldn’t call myself that. What I would say is that I’m a good player to have in the box and that I’ve been able to find the net fairly regularly of late. Hopefully I can continue in that vein,” the player says modestly.

A dream come true
In June 2004, with calls for his inclusion in the national team growing gradually louder, rumours began to surface again of an imminent move to Europe. Speaking at the time, Palacio said: “I’m not desperate to go to Europe. I’m happy playing football in Argentina.” On the question of the playing for his country, the player was equally self-effacing. “No, I’m not thinking about the national team. That’s still a long way off. Right now, I’m grateful to be playing for Banfield. One day, I hope to be lucky enough to play for a really big side.”

As fate would have it, his dreams came true a lot sooner than expected. Banfield agreed terms with Boca Juniors the following month, although it would be December before Palacio finally joined the team.
And although his arrival at the Bombonera was greeted with much fanfare, Boca’s new signing had to be content with a place on the bench during the early rounds of the championship. Despite having a squad replete with big names like Martin Palermo, Guillermo Barros Schelotto and Marcelo Delgado, the fanatical Boca supporters were soon calling for the 23-year-old to be given a chance in the starting line-up. While all this was going on, the ever-diplomatic Palacio seemed happy to bide his time: “Not being in the starting eleven isn’t a problem for me, as I’m just starting out here. There are many more experienced players here and it’s good that they play."

For all of Palacio’s modesty, the expectations surrounding him are huge. “He’s destined to be one of the greatest players the club has ever seen. We were after him for some time and were right to pursue him. So long as I’m at this club, he’ll be here," promised Boca president Mauricio Macri.

Jorge Benitez, the player’s coach at Boca, was already feeling the pressure from the supporters to play Palacio. “Every Boca fan I meet in the street tells me I have to put him in the side. Given time, he is sure to become another idol at the club,” he said. Even Diego Maradona has been impressed with the player, reportedly calling him on his cell phone to ask him for his jersey.

If, as they say, true greatness is measured by the esteem in which you are held by your enemies, then the words of Leonardo Astrada, the coach of Boca’s fiercest rivals River Plate, are especially significant: “If there’s one player in Argentinian football that could do justice to the River shirt, it’s Palacio.”

An unexpected call-up
There was even better news for Rodrigo a few months later, when he received word of his first call-up to the senior Argentina squad. “'El Chino' Benitez told me the news when we were returning from Ecuador after our Copa Libertadores tie against Deportivo Cuenca. I couldn’t believe it. Now, I just want to make the most of this opportunity,” Palacio said prior to his debut in Argentina’s friendly against Mexico. The game, which was played in Los Angeles, finished 1-1, with Palacio providing the assist for the goal.

His competitive debut with the Albiceleste came on March 26 when he was part of Jose Pekerman’s side that defeated Bolivia in a World Cup qualifier in La Paz. Palacio appeared for the final four minutes of that historic win in the Bolivian capital, and in doing so joined the list of players who have represented Argentina's senior team without having been capped at any junior level.

Yet amid the whirlwind of attention and expectancy, Palacio has managed to keep his feet firmly on the ground. “If someone had told me last year that I was going to hear my name chanted in the Bombonera and make my debut for Argentina, I’d have asked if he’d been drinking. I’m just starting out on my international career, and it’s all new to me. Nonetheless, I’m excited thinking about the possibility of playing in a World Cup.”

Fifa.com

+Quote Post

bigmacmtl
post Nov 8 2006, 06:41 PM
Post #8

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 2,592

ta real can have gago, we need palacio. i've been following this guy for a lil over a year now since i follow boca. we NEEED HIM

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Nov 9 2006, 12:31 AM
Post #9

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Member No.: 2,008

Milan are also traceing Alexis of Getafe. They say he's a real phenomenon and can easily be the next Hierro. He plays as CB and Milan has followed him since he was 16.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Nov 9 2006, 06:12 PM
Post #10

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Nov 8 2006, 11:31 PM)
Milan are also traceing Alexis of Getafe. They say he's a real phenomenon and can easily be the next Hierro. He plays as CB and Milan has followed him since he was 16.

Milan monitor Alexis

Milan are interested in signing Getafe defender Alexis Ruano, according to the Spanish club’s chief Angel Torres.

The 21-year-old joined the Primera Liga side in the summer from Malaga, where he grew up in the youth team, and has impressed in Bernd Schuster’s team.

He hit the headlines after scoring the winner against Real Madrid in October, although he has been sidelined in the past few weeks after suffering an injury against Recreativo.

“Milan are following Alexis, who is a phenomenon,” said Torres. “You mustn’t forget that the Italian club had already tried to sign him when he was 16-years-old.

“Getafe is a club where the President presides, the Coach coaches and the players play," concluded Torres, referring to claims he was interfering with his Coach’s plans.

+Quote Post

KillerMax
post Nov 9 2006, 10:52 PM
Post #11

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 1,388

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Nov 8 2006, 05:31 PM)
They say he's a real phenomenon and can easily be the next Hierro.

And Hiero was what? A super defender? (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Nov 9 2006, 11:14 PM
Post #12

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Member No.: 2,008

QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Nov 9 2006, 10:52 PM)

I dunno (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

+Quote Post

LaPalma
post Nov 10 2006, 02:19 AM
Post #13

Insert cool title here<--
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,792

QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Nov 9 2006, 10:52 PM)

Yes he was! Fernando Hierro is second best scorer of the spanish NT of all times (29 goals or so). He was a great defender and had an awesome powerfull shot!

+Quote Post

KillerMax
post Nov 10 2006, 02:29 AM
Post #14

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 1,388

QUOTE (LaPalma @ Nov 9 2006, 07:19 PM)
Yes he was! Fernando Hierro is second best scorer of the spanish NT of all times (29 goals or so). He was a great defender and had an awesome powerfull shot!

I never really rated him that highly...

+Quote Post

Panama Devil
post Nov 10 2006, 03:40 AM
Post #15

Pulcini 97

Member No.: 1,918

¿BABEL?

¿HUNTELAAR?

¿WHAT DO YOU SAY?

I THINK THAT BOTH OR EVEN ONE OF THEM WILL BE SO GOOOOD FOR AC MILAN.

¿WHAT DO YOU THINK?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:42 PM