> Should He Stay or Should He Go?

han2503
post May 1 2018, 03:23 PM
Post #1

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,109

So, now that we're basically at the tail end of our season, and it's yet another disappointing year with failing to qualify for the CL and potentially another season in the EL looming, looking at our squad, who would you keep, and what players or players profiles do you think we need to get this team back into the CL? Who should be moved on for good, who should be moved onto the bench and who do you think we should get (especially if the budget is limited)?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

William405
post May 6 2018, 11:09 AM
Post #2

Allievi Regionali B

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 7,239

Honestly, and I might be a bit contreversial with this, but I think we have a solid squad. It's not about who stays and who goes. As honestly, we don't have very bad/terrible players in the squad. What we need is 2-3 world class players, or nothing will change, no matter how smart we are in the market. We need 2 high calibre game changers in the striker and midfield positions, and we're good to go!

Do you think there have been players who were so bad that they need to goo?

+Quote Post

han2503
post May 6 2018, 10:33 PM
Post #3

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (William405 @ May 6 2018, 11:09 AM) *
Honestly, and I might be a bit contreversial with this, but I think we have a solid squad. It's not about who stays and who goes. As honestly, we don't have very bad/terrible players in the squad. What we need is 2-3 world class players, or nothing will change, no matter how smart we are in the market. We need 2 high calibre game changers in the striker and midfield positions, and we're good to go!

Do you think there have been players who were so bad that they need to goo?

Oh, yeah, I totally agree with that. The points total on the table might tell the story that we haven't made any forward strides from last season but if you ask me if we're in a better place now then we were last season in terms of squad quality, it's a no-brainer. The first 11 is definitely much better than it was last season, as you said, it just needs 3 to 4 top tier additions who can bring in experience to the team (which Rino has repeated multiple times so this will be our strategy) to make it competitive.

But once you go past the first 11 there's definitely a lot of work still to be done. If we do get those 3 top class additions, that means 3 current starters move to the bench, which already improves the quality there. However, I do think that there are players who are completely redundant to the squad and should leave and be replaced by players who can offer more to the side, even if they're rotation players. Look at Juve for example, they have bench players who can come in and change games, that's what we used to have in the past as well. I'm not saying I want a Douglas Costa on the bench as well, that's not going to happen anytime soon, especially without CL football, but aside from those 3 top players, we should look into replacing guys like Monto, Antonelli, Borini (he's a good utility player, but as a winger option he definitely needs to be replaced) and bring in players who can at least make some sort of an impact if they're called upon during games or be reliable replacements if that's what's needed

Also we need to look at some of the more high profile players as well and really think about what to do with them.

- Kalinic: He just has to go. He gets booed at the San Siro for coming on the pitch. We have to look into selling him and try to recoup a bit of what we spent on him.

- Cutrone and Silva, both a very talented players, but we can't have both sitting on the bench if a top striker comes in. Both of them need game time and they won't get enough of it. So one of them should go on loan.

- Locatelli: It depends on what kind of midfielder we buy and if Monto stays another year. I just think that his growth is being stunted by sitting on the bench so much, he needs to play. Atalanta are going to lose Cristante this summer, that's the perfect place for him to go and really hone his skills under a brilliant coach like Gasperini. We should really offer him to them on a 2 year loan. He could get regular time there and really develop, come back ready to take the mantle.

- Donnarumma: Honestly, I'm hoping we get a really good offer for him this summer. I'd cash in so fast his and Raiola's heads would spin if it were up to me. We need to get rid of him and his agent at this point. He's been bad this season, let's all be honest with ourselves. After the massive contract we gave him and bringing in his brother all to appease him. A goalkeeper his age should not be weighing down our wage bill by 12m gross. Anything in the region of 70m and we should cash in on the spot. Give that kind of money to a real star outfield player.

- Suso: There are a lot of rumours surrounding him, especially with the release clause he wanted in his contract. If anyone activates that, I won't really lose any sleep over it, it's 40m for a guy we got for free and has really reached a plateau imo. Him and Donna could really give us a lot to play with in terms of liquid cash. Sure this would give us the added headache of bringing in another winger but I'd go straight to Chelsea with that money and try to get Willian

As for the rest, the only guys I think we should absolutely hold on to at any cost are Romagnoli, Bonucci, Calabria, Kessie, Hakan, Cutrone, Conti, Silva and Locatelli (ones in italics should be loaned). The rest are all replaceable

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post May 8 2018, 09:51 AM
Post #4

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

I think the key in this summer ventures lies in building, not starting from scratch. Therefore I'd try to hold onto players like Suso or Donna - of course under normal conditions. As soon as some of them start playing the kind of shenanigans Donna/Mino played last summer we should act quickly and get the most of it (money).

But let's keep a wider core of players, let's get rid of the ones that are either useless like Kalinić or not suitable for our plan/development.

+Quote Post

han2503
post May 8 2018, 07:55 PM
Post #5

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ May 8 2018, 09:51 AM) *
I think the key in this summer ventures lies in building, not starting from scratch. Therefore I'd try to hold onto players like Suso or Donna - of course under normal conditions. As soon as some of them start playing the kind of shenanigans Donna/Mino played last summer we should act quickly and get the most of it (money).

But let's keep a wider core of players, let's get rid of the ones that are either useless like Kalinić or not suitable for our plan/development.

Suso I'd keep if he doesn't want to leave, because losing him would create further troubles. But my point was that he wanted a release clause in his contract so if someone comes in and activates it, then you have to sell up unless the players refuses the club that activates it

As for Donna. I will stand firm on this one. If a good enough offer comes in, we should not hesitate. He is the reason as to why Raiola is creating problems. I have no doubts in my mind. We've had and currently have other clients of his and have never had any issues with him. Donna has been playing a game since last summer and when fans turn on him he turns into the helpless child who's being victimised. Sorry, I don't care how potentially good he can become, he's been nothing but trouble, and his performances this season have gone backwards rather than forward. This after giving him a 6m per year deal and bringing in his brother for another mill.

The keeper is the least important role in the team. We have Reina coming in who is a very capable keeper and at this point in time better than Donnarumma. Especially going by this season's performances and the amount of mistakes he's made. I say cash in

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post May 8 2018, 09:30 PM
Post #6

Primavera
Group Icon

Good God, Reina is crap. If Donna goes out we need to think of Perin or someone in that caliber.

+Quote Post

han2503
post May 9 2018, 07:40 PM
Post #7

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ May 8 2018, 09:30 PM) *
Good God, Reina is crap. If Donna goes out we need to think of Perin or someone in that caliber.

He's been far more consistent than Donna this season who has a large number of mistakes and easy long range shots against him

Reina can cover the position without too much fuss for the next 2 years imo

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post May 9 2018, 08:57 PM
Post #8

Primavera
Group Icon

QUOTE (han2503 @ May 9 2018, 09:40 PM) *
He's been far more consistent than Donna this season who has a large number of mistakes and easy long range shots against him

Reina can cover the position without too much fuss for the next 2 years imo

With 37? Oh come on...

+Quote Post

han2503
post May 9 2018, 09:54 PM
Post #9

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ May 9 2018, 08:57 PM) *
With 37? Oh come on...

He's still cutting it at Napoli. Donna has made far more errors than Reina has made this season.

We're not going to get Perin, he's going to Naples. Reina is a stop gap solution. He's a decent keeper. And I repeat, he's better than Donna at this point in time

The game today was the final straw with me in terms of Donnarumma. I really want him out badly at this point.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post May 9 2018, 10:01 PM
Post #10

Primavera
Group Icon

QUOTE (han2503 @ May 9 2018, 11:54 PM) *
He's still cutting it at Napoli. Donna has made far more errors than Reina has made this season.

We're not going to get Perin, he's going to Naples. Reina is a stop gap solution. He's a decent keeper. And I repeat, he's better than Donna at this point in time

The game today was the final straw with me in terms of Donnarumma. I really want him out badly at this point.

Sadly, perhaps this game will make his exit much harder.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post May 9 2018, 10:38 PM
Post #11

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Member No.: 2,008

Reina is 35, not 37. For at least one season he's OK. Donnarumma has to GTFO. Him and his shitty agent.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post May 10 2018, 06:55 PM
Post #12

Primavera
Group Icon

QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 10 2018, 12:38 AM) *
Reina is 35, not 37. For at least one season he's OK. Donnarumma has to GTFO. Him and his shitty agent.

Han said 2 years, so that's until 37. Yes, Donna can go, but I really think Reina isn't the answer/suitable for our project.

+Quote Post

han2503
post May 10 2018, 09:26 PM
Post #13

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ May 9 2018, 10:01 PM) *
Sadly, perhaps this game will make his exit much harder.

Sadly, you're probably right. Which top club willing to pay the kind of fee we'd want would want him after this season? And especially after the game last night. He was literally the player who tore a hole through the team's sails. This after a summer of fiascos which he instigated. And after he extorted us for a contract that he never deserved to begin with, plus the added weight of his brother, he has continually persisted with coy games with the media. He's a tarnished player in every Milan fan's eyes and he hasn't done anything to endear himself to the faithful with his performances this season. He has simply regressed from where he was last season. Let's hope we can get at least 50 to 60m off of him this summer. We need to get that 14m gross salary off our books as well imo. That kind of money should only be given to top outfield players, not a goalkeeper with just 1 good season under his belt.

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ May 10 2018, 06:55 PM) *
Han said 2 years, so that's until 37. Yes, Donna can go, but I really think Reina isn't the answer/suitable for our project.

He still can give us that imo. He's the starting keeper for the 2nd best team in the league. That has to count for something. Add to that, our current keeper has committed far more mistakes this season than Reina has, so essentially he'd be an upgrade.

And a stop-gap keeper solution imo is not something that will hinder our project in any way. I think selling him for good money will actually aid our project as we're not going to have a big budget to spend this summer, his sale would boost that big time (if we can make it happen that is)

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post May 10 2018, 10:08 PM
Post #14

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Member No.: 2,008

Reina is a good GK at an age that's acceptable for the position he plays. For the short term I think it's a good signing, so we can concentrate on other areas that need more focus. And hopefully we sell Donnarumma for a decent amount.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post May 10 2018, 11:07 PM
Post #15

Primavera
Group Icon

After this season and that kind of a fail in a final? I'm really doubtful. But perhaps...

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:44 AM