Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2017/18 formation

X-Offender
post Jul 29 2017, 03:26 PM
Post #1

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 2,008

What do you think should be the formation that we should play this season? I think with the players we've signed there are only two logical solutions which we've already talked about.

4-2-3-1

This is my preferred choice, as I regard it a very modern and dynamic formation that integrates all the players and requires a lot of effort from them to achieve the proper balance. Given our roster, for the time being it would be:

Donnarumma
Conti - Bonucci - Musacchio - Rodriguez
Kessie - Biglia
Suso - Calhanoglu - Bona
Silva

Note that if we play like this one between Musacchio and Romagnoli will have to sit on the bench. Furthermore, when we sign another striker, Silva would eventually sit as well. The only problem is that we don't have any substitution wingers, but apparently Montella has asked for one so that might be solved soon.

3-4-2-1

Or 3-4-1-2 depending on the players. This formation became a thing once we signed Bonucci. It is also suitable because it gives players like Conti and Rodriguez less defensive duties and we won't have to renounce to our three CBs.

Donnarumma
Musacchio - Bonucci - Romagnoli
Conti - Kessie - Biglia - Rodriguez
Calhanoglu - Bonaventura
Silva

However, if Montella does go with a 3-man defense, then TWO between Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, André Silva and the new striker will have to sit on the bench. Personally, I'm not a big of it. I find it very outdated and defensive-minded, a formation that small clubs usually adopt to defend with more men and counterattack.

Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Danny
post Jul 30 2017, 01:18 AM
Post #2

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 6,730

Some say we've been running a 4-3-3 but if we watch what the team is doing, it clearly hasn't been.

Functioning or not, it's been a 4-1-4-1 in attack reverting to a 4-2-3-1 in defence.

Kessie plays a critical role - he supports both the DM and the bank of three - take him out and we'd lose the flexibility we have at the moment.

To answer your direct question, I just cannot see us switching to a 3 unless a particular match calls for it. And the only time we've seen it used is when closing out narrow leads or holding on for draws.

Like you say, 3 is a bit outdated but it's certainly worked for Juve in recent seasons - and Bonucci is comfortable in it. But true class knows how defend, not just what system to defend in. He will adapt to a four.

That said a four sees us sacrifice Romagnoli - don't be shocked to see him leave in January because Musacchio and Bonucci WILL be our first choice - he won't accept being the best spare defender in world football.

In midfield Monto's days are numbered. And I don't think Kessie will partner Biglia in a 2. He's much more likely to be higher up, something we seem to disagree on but which was borne out v Bayern.

Which could back up the adaptable 4-1-4-1 to 4-2-3-1 I alluded to.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Jul 30 2017, 11:01 AM
Post #3

Kessie played in the double pivot at Atalanta. He's the classical box-to-box mid that does both phases. No way he'll play higher up, especially since we have Hakam in that position.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Jul 30 2017, 06:16 PM
Post #4

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,109

Kessie is box-to-box, whether he plays in a double pivot or in a 3 man midfield, he has to be given licence to bomb up but he'll also have some defensive duties to carry out as well

I think he can easily fit into both systems

Danny, I get your point about not restricting him like Montella did against Dortmund, but he was playing him in the middle of a 3 man midfield in a holding mid role. Which made him look terrible for sure. In a double pivot the role is very different though, look at what Kante does for Chelsea for example

+Quote Post

Fishdoll
post Sep 25 2017, 06:50 PM
Post #5

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 7,075

Okay, the 433 sucked - just don't have the personnel do play that formation, IMO.

So what formation DOES best suit the squad?

I think the 352 is a step in the right direction, but the tinkering to try and make it a 3511 (or whatever the **** that was on Sunday) NOT A GOOD IDEA.

Should the team stick with 352? Is something else better?

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Sep 25 2017, 08:04 PM
Post #6

4-2-3-1. Nuff said.

+Quote Post

Fishdoll
post Sep 25 2017, 08:26 PM
Post #7

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Have we tried that one yet? I'm remembering a not-successful 433 but not a 4231 off the top of my head.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Sep 25 2017, 09:13 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Fishdoll @ Sep 25 2017, 08:26 PM) *
Have we tried that one yet? I'm remembering a not-successful 433 but not a 4231 off the top of my head.

No, we haven't.

+Quote Post

Fishdoll
post Sep 26 2017, 11:29 AM
Post #9

Giovanissimi Nazionali

It may be worth a shot, then. It's a pity Conti got hurt (but as stated, at least we've got half decent cover for that position). Looking back up at your original post, the formation does seem to get the best players out there in positions they're good at.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Sep 26 2017, 06:41 PM
Post #10

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

I think we should either go 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-3 depending on who's starting in attack

This is also a good solution for the Kessie debacle we've found ourselves in. Kessie simply cannot be an undisputed starter. Going with a double pivot open the door to Locatelli or Montolivo, which at this point, couldn't be worse than what we saw from Kessie last Sunday

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Sep 26 2017, 07:38 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Fishdoll @ Sep 26 2017, 11:29 AM) *
It may be worth a shot, then. It's a pity Conti got hurt (but as stated, at least we've got half decent cover for that position). Looking back up at your original post, the formation does seem to get the best players out there in positions they're good at.

Indeed. That is the main point. We'd not only be playing a dynamic and versatile formation, but all the players would be playing in positions they're comfortable at. It's a shame Montella's never considered it. Sorta evidences his limitations as a coach.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Nov 27 2017, 04:24 PM
Post #12

Rumors that Gattuso will play with either 4-3-3 or 3-4-3.

I would be an advocate of the 4-2-3-1 but I just don't think Hakan has it in him to succeed on the big stage. He's proving to be a very average player, another Honda if you must.

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Nov 27 2017, 04:50 PM
Post #13

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,865

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Nov 27 2017, 10:54 PM) *
Rumors that Gattuso will play with either 4-3-3 or 3-4-3.

I would be an advocate of the 4-2-3-1 but I just don't think Hakan has it in him to succeed on the big stage. He's proving to be a very average player, another Honda if you must.

Worse than Honda. Honda never disappeared. If he was offensively impotent, he'd at least put in a Borini like workman shift. I liked Honda.

My formation of choice is of course the 3-4-1-2 seeing as we don't have Conti and Abate is not reliable anymore. Else I'd go with a 4-3-3 too.

------Zapata---Bonucci---Romagnoli---------------
Suso-----Monto/Kessie----Biglia/Loca------RRod/Hakan
----------------------Jack--------------------------------
-----------Cutro-----------Silva-------------------------------

We could also play the 3-4-3:

------Zapata---Bonucci---Romagnoli---------------
---------------Biglia/Loca-----------------------------
Abate/Borini---------Monto/Kessie----------RRod---
----Suso---------------Silva------------------Jack-----

But I don't think this will be a good fit considering the team chemistry I've seen so far.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Nov 27 2017, 07:30 PM
Post #14

You can't play 3-4-2-1 with Suso and Hakan on the wings. That's a beginner's mistake, Jack. Either put proper wingbacks or don't play them at all.

If we're persisting with the 3-man defense then 3-4-3 is clearly the way to go IMO:

Donnarumma
Musacchio - Bonucci - Romagnoli
Borini - Kessie - Biglia - Rodriguez
Suso - Silva - Bona

Otherwise, with a 4-man defense it's a bit tricky, but I'd try an offensive and perhaps presumptuous 4-2-4:

Donnarumma
Abate - Bonucci - Romagnoli - Rodriguez
Kessie - Biglia
Suso - Kalinic - Silva - Bona

Can't say which formation would work best. This team is a complete mess right now.

+Quote Post

d'Arc.LP
post Nov 28 2017, 10:21 PM
Post #15

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 6,786

Suso on the wing without full back means we are playing with 10 men. No way Suso runs back for that ball.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:19 PM