> [EL] Europa League 2013-14

acid911
post May 2 2014, 11:13 AM
Post #31

Berretti

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,736

QUOTE (han2503 @ May 2 2014, 03:58 PM) *
It's sad because it could have easily been avoided had Italian clubs taken the EL/UEFA Cup more seriously in the past

Exactly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif) They are to blame here, most definitely.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post May 2 2014, 12:26 PM
Post #32

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 2,008

Well, of course. Who else is there to blame?

+Quote Post

acid911
post May 2 2014, 12:33 PM
Post #33

Berretti

Member No.: 3,736

QUOTE (X-Offender @ May 2 2014, 05:26 PM) *
Well, of course. Who else is there to blame?

Ask them, and they'll say $$$. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Or lack of it. I can understand the prize money isn't that much to begin with, but it's the same for all countries. And even with a smaller kitty, they should have given the tournament the due respect. But I guess that's too much to ask from schmuck teams like Udinese, who are only in it for the moolah.

How much this hurts Serie A in the short and long term, and how they bounce back, be interesting.

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post May 2 2014, 01:18 PM
Post #34

Smoking Bianco

Member No.: 191

Sad, Italy will need a decade to reestablish itself amongst German and English teams.

Problem lies deeper than just individual clubs in Serie A. Italian teams in the top flight have all contributed to this, as have the politics in the country. There was a time when Italy was on top of the world, instead of investing in infrastructure they invested in the playing squad (short-term benefits vs long-term decay). Whilst the English and German had looked at the long-run and invested in their respective infrastructure.

What Italy needs the most is a World Cup in my humble opinion. Building new stadiums, renovating existing ones, huge marketing campaigns and the world would look at Italy again.

As of today, I have no interest in any random Serie A game, I'd rather watch a Magpies vs Pompey. Why? Because at the bare minimum, at least the technology in video coverage of the game is top quality, whilst in Italy its as if I was still in the 90's, except HD (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Only reason why I would talk about Serie A is because of the obvious, Milan. Otherwise, its not an attractive league for the neutrals.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post May 2 2014, 03:19 PM
Post #35

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ May 2 2014, 02:18 PM) *
As of today, I have no interest in any random Serie A game, I'd rather watch a Magpies vs Pompey.

Portsmouth are in League 2, so I guess that goes to show how much you dislike the average Serie A game. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post

han2503
post May 2 2014, 03:27 PM
Post #36

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ May 2 2014, 01:18 PM) *
Sad, Italy will need a decade to reestablish itself amongst German and English teams.

Problem lies deeper than just individual clubs in Serie A. Italian teams in the top flight have all contributed to this, as have the politics in the country. There was a time when Italy was on top of the world, instead of investing in infrastructure they invested in the playing squad (short-term benefits vs long-term decay). Whilst the English and German had looked at the long-run and invested in their respective infrastructure.

What Italy needs the most is a World Cup in my humble opinion. Building new stadiums, renovating existing ones, huge marketing campaigns and the world would look at Italy again.

As of today, I have no interest in any random Serie A game, I'd rather watch a Magpies vs Pompey. Why? Because at the bare minimum, at least the technology in video coverage of the game is top quality, whilst in Italy its as if I was still in the 90's, except HD (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Only reason why I would talk about Serie A is because of the obvious, Milan. Otherwise, its not an attractive league for the neutrals.

Totally agree with you on this R7

Watching an EPL game is just pleasing to the eye. Forget about the football, at the most basic level of marketing and presentation the English league is heads and shoulders above the rest imo.

But then again, Spain have 3 competitors left in Europe. 2 in the CL final 1 in the EL final. Yet, no one watches Sevilla, or even Atletico against some random side. I don't know anyone who willingly watches Lavante vs Rayo just for the heck of it

And really the quality of the coverage is just as bad if not worse than Serie A, because Sky Italia shows some premium stuff and do the best they can with what they have. Yet, their teams still do well in Europe on a consistant basis. From Sevilla a few years ago to Atletico now, there's usually a Spanish side in the latter stages of the EL.

Spanish league infrastructure is as rotten to the core as it's Italian counterpart imo. Even worse because of the polarization of TV right between the big 2. The only thing that saves it is they have 2 massive clubs that generate so much cash and attention it makes it okay that the rest of league is dire

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post May 2 2014, 03:30 PM
Post #37

Prima Squadra

the Spanish coverage here is really good to be honest. There's usually 4 live games every week. Though I think we get more Serie A games a week than we do Bundesliga.

+Quote Post

han2503
post May 2 2014, 03:35 PM
Post #38

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ May 2 2014, 03:30 PM) *
the Spanish coverage here is really good to be honest. There's usually 4 live games every week. Though I think we get more Serie A games a week than we do Bundesliga.

But when you watch games, especially in the smaller teams' stadiums, it's just terribly unpleasing to the eye.

You don't experience that in the English league, even when watching a Reading game or any other newly promoted side. It doesn't give you the feeling that you're watching football in the 90s, as R7 very rightly pointed out, which is the case for Spain and Italy

I personally hate it when we're playing a Catania or Atalanta or Cesena, etc because the Tv coverage is just awful to watch

+Quote Post

Milan Are Brilli...
post May 2 2014, 05:08 PM
Post #39

Berretti
Group Icon

Member No.: 90

QUOTE (han2503 @ May 2 2014, 04:35 PM) *
You don't experience that in the English league, even when watching a Reading game or any other newly promoted side. It doesn't give you the feeling that you're watching football in the 90s, as R7 very rightly pointed out, which is the case for Spain and Italy

Yeah, that's pretty much down to BSkyB, fantastic addition to our league and the Premiership would be nowhere near what it is without both visually & audio. Has just pushed anyone contending with it to broadcast over here at a high level.

Italy does seem particularly bad in older stadiums compared to most leagues but it doesn't help when the stands are like 10% full.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post May 2 2014, 05:58 PM
Post #40

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ May 2 2014, 06:08 PM) *
Yeah, that's pretty much down to BSkyB, fantastic addition to our league and the Premiership would be nowhere near what it is without both visually & audio. Has just pushed anyone contending with it to broadcast over here at a high level.

So many morons who complain about Sky for "ruining football". I think they'll find the Champions League money "ruins" football. Sky pays every team a pretty fair amount, all they've done is turn a pretty average league into the biggest sports league in the World.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post May 2 2014, 07:49 PM
Post #41

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

What does that mean, Portugal surpassed Italy in a concrete manner? Some implications?

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post May 2 2014, 08:28 PM
Post #42

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 2,008

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ May 2 2014, 07:49 PM) *
What does that mean, Portugal surpassed Italy in a concrete manner? Some implications?

In terms of UEFA points, i.e. coefficient. Italy will start 14/15 with 51,510 points, Portugal at least with 52,133.

Link

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post May 14 2014, 10:23 PM
Post #43

Prima Squadra

Sevilla-Benfica penalties about to start.

Benfica have lost their last 7 European finals.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post May 14 2014, 10:31 PM
Post #44

Prima Squadra

Benfica curse going to continue thanks to their players doing the stupid stutter run up penalties.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post May 14 2014, 10:32 PM
Post #45

Prima Squadra

Sevilla win! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:39 PM