Reply to this topicStart new topic
> EL - Last 16 2nd Leg - Arsenal - Milan, Date: 15/03/18 Time: 21:00 CET

amancik
post Mar 8 2018, 08:47 PM
Post #31

Milanfan to Death

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 11

To be honest, it is very difficult to be overly critical of Milan tonight. We're just not ready to play at this level, period. This is as far as we go. It's ashame but I don't think there's anything else we can do to turn this tie around.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Mar 8 2018, 08:52 PM
Post #32

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Member No.: 2,008

QUOTE (amancik @ Mar 8 2018, 08:47 PM) *
To be honest, it is very difficult to be overly critical of Milan tonight. We're just not ready to play at this level, period. This is as far as we go. It's ashame but I don't think there's anything else we can do to turn this tie around.

Exactly.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Mar 8 2018, 09:00 PM
Post #33

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,109

That was bad.

We're 99.9% out of this. I just hope it does not effect our league form

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Mar 8 2018, 09:00 PM
Post #34

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

Coach and the young guns lack experience, for sure. But players like Rodriguez, Hakan, Bonaventura, etc. shouldn't be included.

+Quote Post

amancik
post Mar 8 2018, 09:04 PM
Post #35

Milanfan to Death

AC Milan 0 - 2 Arsenal. Apart from the backline, our midfielders and strikers are just not good enough for European competitions in the knock-out phase.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Mar 8 2018, 09:08 PM
Post #36

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Fact is, only Bonucci has serious European experience in this team, all the others have never played a proper two legged tie against a big club. Arsenal were terrible tonight as well yet we got done by two silly goals which would have been preventable had we been at our best

We defended so much better against Lazio and Roma, to see the defending tonight was night and day.

Bonaventura, Biglia, Suso, Hakan, Kessie, Romagnoli and Calabria have been difference makers for us in the league inrecent weeks but fact is, none of them have any sort of European experience and that showed terribly tonight

Kessie, made some terrible passing mistakes. Biglia reverted back to the first half of the season Biglia we saw under Montella. Suso looked absolutely ineffectual, kept trying the same sh!t and it was never working, Bona was really bad, sorry but he's had a bad season imo and tonight really highlighted his shortcomings, Calabria looked completely out of his depth as well

Cutrone showed his total lack of experience as well, Silva was the only one who showed a bit of spark.

To not be able to score a single goal on a team who does not know how to defend says a lot about our performance. We were intimidated, naïve and completely in over our heads. And I immediately had a bad feeling about this when Arsenal started badly even making some terrible passes that put the in trouble and we continued to back off of them as if we were afraid.

We needed to get in their faces, and bully them because we have the physical presence to do that and that's usually what makes them crumble, yet we just weren't even interested in trying to do that

+Quote Post

han2503
post Mar 8 2018, 09:10 PM
Post #37

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Mar 8 2018, 09:00 PM) *
Coach and the young guns lack experience, for sure. But players like Rodriguez, Hakan, Bonaventura, etc. shouldn't be included.

I would hardly say that any of them has any serious experience and know-how in such ties.

They might be older in age to the likes of Calabria and Cutrone but they're not exactly seasoned CL players either.

I think this is Bona's first outing in European competition if I'm not mistaken, and it showed.

+Quote Post

amancik
post Mar 8 2018, 09:22 PM
Post #38

Milanfan to Death

This game makes me realize how crucial it is that we play in the CL every year. We need to qualify for the CL this season. Otherwise, we will never return to our previous heights in the next decade. Keep our core young players i.e Donnarumma, Romagnoli, Cutrone and Calabria as they have enough to talent to go far. But everyone else is expendable and cannot cut it for top-level European football.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Mar 8 2018, 09:33 PM
Post #39

Primavera
Group Icon

QUOTE (han2503 @ Mar 8 2018, 11:08 PM) *
Fact is, only Bonucci has serious European experience in this team, all the others have never played a proper two legged tie against a big club. Arsenal were terrible tonight as well yet we got done by two silly goals which would have been preventable had we been at our best

Oh come on! Hakan and Rodriguez have plenty of experience, Biglia as well. No excuse there for me...

QUOTE (han2503 @ Mar 8 2018, 11:10 PM) *
I would hardly say that any of them has any serious experience and know-how in such ties.

They might be older in age to the likes of Calabria and Cutrone but they're not exactly seasoned CL players either.

I think this is Bona's first outing in European competition if I'm not mistaken, and it showed.

I really don't buy in that "different games" story. A player is either experienced or not; Enrico Chiesa almost never played European football but I'd still count him as experienced even in European clashes. I really don't think these games are "that" different. Plenty of debutant teams and players proved that much.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Mar 8 2018, 09:33 PM
Post #40

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (amancik @ Mar 8 2018, 09:22 PM) *
This game makes me realize how crucial it is that we play in the CL every year. We need to qualify for the CL this season. Otherwise, we will never return to our previous heights in the next decade. Keep our core young players i.e Donnarumma, Romagnoli, Cutrone and Calabria as they have enough to talent to go far. But everyone else is expendable and cannot cut it for top-level European football.

Honestly, I don't think we're ready for the CL.

If we're losing to an Arsenal side who just last Sunday looked like they were dead and buried against Brighton, I don't see how we can face up to much better sides.

It's all well and good to beat Italian sides you meet regularly in a any given season, but it's another thing to face sides outside of your comfort zone and dominating them. We used to be the side who knew how to play these ties, now we're not anymore. Look at Juve yesterday, a professional job away from home, never panicked, never over committed. They just know how to play these games now and they have the experience and self-confidence to know that they can play out of it. They might bottle things at the last hurdle but they've certainly come a long way since their first season back in the CL under Conte.

I'm not saying that these players can't gain that experience. But we need a couple of upgrades in the first team, add to that Gattuso has no options off the bench to change things around. Bona should have been off before HT but he left him on so he could switch to a 4-4-2. Biglia is ok for the league but we need better there as well imo. Rodriguez is showing some serious flaws as well while Calabria has a lot of growing up to do. Today he was just running around brainlessly and passing too quickly, the first goal started because he didn't pass out from the back neatly after he won the ball. A completely opposite performance to the game we saw against Roma for example. Kessie as well. I saw him completely dominate Milinkovic-Savic and Radja in our last 2 games, yet today he got out muscled by the weakest midfield in the EPL, just ridiculous how we dropped off today and let the occasion get the better of us

Like I said, I just hope these 2 games don't completely ruin what we had built up in the league before now.

Hopefully we get that win against Genoa on Sunday

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Mar 8 2018, 09:35 PM
Post #41

Primavera
Group Icon

We're not ready, surely. But we gotta up are game and sign better players. This summer was a complete mess and it's showing.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Mar 8 2018, 09:37 PM
Post #42

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Mar 8 2018, 09:33 PM) *
Oh come on! Hakan and Rodriguez have plenty of experience, Biglia as well. No excuse there for me...

I really don't buy in that "different games" story. A player is either experienced or not; Enrico Chiesa almost never played European football but I'd still count him as experienced even in European clashes. I really don't think these games are "that" different. Plenty of debutant teams and players proved that much.

Plenty of experience? Really, give me a handful of big CL ties that any of them have played.

I think it does have an impact.

Yes many young players bebut in such big ties and have good games, but there is a difference from when you have the entire team being completely green on the big stage to pushing in one or two players amongst 9 very experienced players.

We simply looked defeated by the occasion itself today, and this was evident in the first 10 minutes when Arsenal were basically tripping over their own feet and we kept backing off of them and giving them respect, when what we should have done is to get right up in their pansy @ss faces.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Mar 8 2018, 09:40 PM
Post #43

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Mar 8 2018, 09:35 PM) *
We're not ready, surely. But we gotta up are game and sign better players. This summer was a complete mess and it's showing.

No doubt, that certain players are not CL level, but they're much better than they showed tonight and they have been showing this in the league.

We have very clear areas that need to be improved upon and our bench is really thin with no one who can be a game changer for the coach to put in.

We need a proper box-to-box mid, we need a proper left winger and a lethal striker for sure.

Rodriguez should also be a rotation option, get rid of Antonelli and use him as a bench player. He's a good player but not good enough when you go to a certain level.

+Quote Post

amancik
post Mar 8 2018, 09:42 PM
Post #44

Milanfan to Death

I mean we have to get into the CL year in year out to obtain that experience. We cannot afford to miss out on European football. We have to sign better players for sure but we better not go on another spending spree. Three value added signings are good enough.

+Quote Post

amancik
post Mar 8 2018, 09:53 PM
Post #45

Milanfan to Death

Looking at things in longer-term, this is our window of opportunity to build our team to be dominant five years down the road. Most of the top teams in Europe are past their peak as their most influential players age I.e. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern Munich. They will go through a new cycle like we did. I predict Liverpool, Man. City to be two of Europe's strongest teams in the next few years as they have great coaches and relatively young but experienced squad. So we should not hit the reset button again. We must build on this instead.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:13 AM