> [CL] Champions League 2015-16

Danny
post Aug 27 2015, 01:14 AM
Post #16

Allievi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6,730

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Aug 26 2015, 11:12 PM) *
Are you sure about that one? I'm not an expert in EPL but,...

Can't be certain, but EPL fails at UCL year on year. Past 3 finals have seen zero English teams and the past 3 semi finals have seen one. 6 teams, only one of which was English.

For the richest, strongest, most 'powerful' league on earth supposedly, its best teams are increasingly failing at UCL.

Italy have suffered a dreadful lull since Milan won UCL, but Juve's progress last season coupled with strong showings at a European level from Napoli and Roma among others suggests England is moving in one direction while Italy is improving.

People look at the money and the hype and forget that the EPL actually isn't very good. It's entertaining, but if you picked a world XI, how many players from EPL would be in it?

I'd have (top of my head, it's late and I'll forget loads):

Neuer, Zabaleta, Silva, Hummels, Alba, Modric, Kroos, Hazard, Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez

Two. Two from Germany, the rest from Spain.

This post has been edited by Danny: Aug 27 2015, 01:15 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

acid911
post Aug 27 2015, 01:35 AM
Post #17

Berretti

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,736

Silva ain't got nothing to do with Spain, Germany or England, Danny. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Aug 27 2015, 07:01 AM
Post #18

Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,564

I'm still not convinced. You picked the XI, but forgot that none of the mentioned players is from - Italy. For all I know last season was a fluke. This one started rather badly for Italy - Lazio not making it as a possible 3rd Italian CL entry, while Sampdoria already got eliminated from the EL.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Aug 27 2015, 09:57 AM
Post #19

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Aug 27 2015, 07:01 AM) *
I'm still not convinced. You picked the XI, but forgot that none of the mentioned players is from - Italy. For all I know last season was a fluke. This one started rather badly for Italy - Lazio not making it as a possible 3rd Italian CL entry, while Sampdoria already got eliminated from the EL.

I didn't forget. I just confirmed right now the best players in the world are mostly Spain with Germany and England thrown in. Italy doesn't have a single player worthy of a world XI. But its clubs do appear to be on the slow improvement re: Europe. 2 in UCL and 3 in UEL.

England have 2 in UEL and 4 in UCL.

5 years ago someone claimed France were on the up - I scoffed. But they now have 2 in UCL and 4 in UEL. That's more & better than they were 5 years ago.

Either way the one thing I do believe for sure is England deteriorate every passing season. None of Utd, Arsenal, City or Chelsea will make a dent. Best they can hope for this season is one quarter finalist. Most likely a park the bus Chelsea, as usual.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Aug 27 2015, 09:58 AM
Post #20

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (acid911 @ Aug 27 2015, 01:35 AM) *
Silva ain't got nothing to do with Spain, Germany or England, Danny. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Maybe it's early but I'm not sure the point you're trying to make here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Aug 27 2015, 10:46 AM
Post #21

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Member No.: 2,008

QUOTE (Danny @ Aug 27 2015, 09:58 AM) *
Maybe it's early but I'm not sure the point you're trying to make here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Silva plays in France. You said two from England, two from Germany and the rest from Spain.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Aug 27 2015, 11:02 AM
Post #22

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Aug 27 2015, 10:46 AM) *
Silva plays in France. You said two from England, two from Germany and the rest from Spain.

Like I said, it was late when I made that post, and early when I read Acid's point (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

han2503
post Aug 27 2015, 02:30 PM
Post #23

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

Now with Samp and Lazio crashing out I can't see Italy catching up to England.

As expected, Lazio f@cking things up, this is what happens when a random team gets a CL spot from Italy, always does. I was bombarded in May for saying that Lazio would ruin Italy's chances, just like past teams have, and look where we are now.

For Italy to become a force in Europe again, Juve, Milan and Inter need to all be back to their best, even Roma and Napoli are huge failures in Europe

+Quote Post

Danny
post Aug 27 2015, 03:09 PM
Post #24

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (han2503 @ Aug 27 2015, 02:30 PM) *
Now with Samp and Lazio crashing out I can't see Italy catching up to England.

As expected, Lazio f@cking things up, this is what happens when a random team gets a CL spot from Italy, always does. I was bombarded in May for saying that Lazio would ruin Italy's chances, just like past teams have, and look where we are now.

For Italy to become a force in Europe again, Juve, Milan and Inter need to all be back to their best, even Roma and Napoli are huge failures in Europe

fwiw I don't actually care if Italy becomes a force in Europe again, unlike 99% on here I support Milan and only Milan. The other teams can rot for all I care. I don't give a toss if Italy gets success in Europe - it's of no interest to me. I am just stating a fact - England's teams are rapidly declining in Europe, while Spain, France and Germany's get stronger. Italy's are too, much more slowly though. And I believe in 5 years at the rate England are deteriorating they will slip down the rankings swiftly while Italy will slowly improve. I think in 5 years both will be quite comparible in terms of where they are in the coefficient.

2011:

England had 4 teams in the top 10, with Utd at #1.

2012:

3 teams, Utd at number 2.

2013:

3 teams, Chelsea at number 3

2014:

3 teams, Chelsea at number 4

2015:

3 teams, Chelsea at 4

2016:

2 teams, Chelsea at 4

Italy 2011:

2 teams in top 10, Inter at 9

2012:

1, Inter at 7

2013:

1, Inter at 7

2014:

2014:

2015:

2016:

1, Juve

England have gotten steadily worse every season while Italy have been a bit up and down, but right now they're slowly rising while England continue to rot.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Aug 27 2015, 03:16 PM
Post #25

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

^^ Sure, but Italy's chances of gaining ground on England now, even if they have another average year in Europe is being rapidly reduced with every team that drops out. Roma will most likely fail at coming out of their group, let's face it.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Aug 27 2015, 03:36 PM
Post #26

Berretti

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,736

QUOTE (Danny @ Aug 27 2015, 04:02 PM) *
Like I said, it was late when I made that post, and early when I read Acid's point

Hey, my abacus also needs an oiling late night and early morning. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

QUOTE (Danny @ Aug 27 2015, 08:09 PM) *
unlike 99% on here I support Milan and only Milan.

98%, actually. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) Though I do have some sweet sports for the good teams in Serie A. And dare I say, even for our cousins across the city. No one comes close to Milan though, and technically, the whole league needs an overhaul in several areas for them to stake it in Europe, anyway.

I do remember when they had 4 places guaranteed, those were good times, I do say.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Aug 27 2015, 06:46 PM
Post #27

Primavera
Group Icon

Since this seems to be the season of my personal rash predictions and fast judgments, let me add that now that the draw has been made, both Italian clubs could very well end up being eliminated after round one:

Juventus
Manchester City
Borussia Mönchengladbach
Sevilla

Barcelona
Leverkusen
Roma
BATE

While Chelsea and especially United seem to have a prepaid easy pass to the next round. Unbelievable how lucky United always gets. All English clubs have excellent chances of going through the first round.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Aug 27 2015, 07:46 PM
Post #28

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

United ALWAYS get an easy group. I don't ever recall them getting a Barca/Real/Munich in their group, at least not any time in recent memory.

And well, as we're talking about Italy failing. This could easily see Italy without any representation in the KOs

Although Juve should make it through their's considering the failure City are in this competition, if Juve manage to win both games against them it's game on

+Quote Post

han2503
post Sep 15 2015, 12:28 PM
Post #29

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

CL football back tonight. Juve-City looking mighty tasty.

Juve have been terrible so far this season while City are generally terrible in the CL. Will be interesting to see who's the least terrible on the night

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Sep 15 2015, 12:50 PM
Post #30

Primavera
Group Icon

We'll see. My tip is it will end up a draw.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:01 AM