> Serie A 2019/2020 season, All Milan games in Serie A

Danny
post Jul 10 2020, 02:44 PM
Post #901

Allievi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6,730

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 9 2020, 06:40 PM) *
Oh man, seriously? I just said that I used those stats "to back up a specific argument: passing accuracy". What did you use stats for? I can't remember the argument.

Pretty much every debate about the competence in different areas of different players!

I use numbers to back my points up, or to discredit them. Whereas you claimed you aren't interested in stats.

So even using them to back up your argument means you only selectively aren't interested!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Jul 10 2020, 06:11 PM
Post #902

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Member No.: 2,008

QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 10 2020, 02:44 PM) *
Pretty much every debate about the competence in different areas of different players!

I use numbers to back my points up, or to discredit them. Whereas you claimed you aren't interested in stats.

So even using them to back up your argument means you only selectively aren't interested!

You see, it really depends on how you use stats. Some people rely on them so much and make general claims like "Rebic won 15 challenges and had 8 shots on target, hence he had a great game". When in reality Rebic might been crap the entire match. Those stats don't prove anything about the player's quality on the pitch.

But if you want to quantify something specific, then it's only natural to back your claims with numbers. If I say Kessie was great at passing tonight, then a stat like passing accuracy is perfect to back it up. Or if I want to prove that Rebic put a lot of effort in this match, then I would look at kilometres ran.

This post has been edited by X-Offender: Jul 10 2020, 06:13 PM

+Quote Post

Danny
post Jul 11 2020, 09:41 PM
Post #903

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 10 2020, 06:11 PM) *
You see, it really depends on how you use stats. Some people rely on them so much and make general claims like "Rebic won 15 challenges and had 8 shots on target, hence he had a great game". When in reality Rebic might been crap the entire match. Those stats don't prove anything about the player's quality on the pitch.

'when in reality' means 'in your opinion'. The facts/stats are undisputed, and absolute, whereas your opinion about what you see is entirely subjective. And that's fine, but I've used stats to back up certain areas of competence many times and you rejected them saying you didn't go much for stats. That's the bit I'm unable to reconcile here.

If you use them even once, then you DO go for stats.

But if you want to quantify something specific, then it's only natural to back your claims with numbers. If I say Kessie was great at passing tonight, then a stat like passing accuracy is perfect to back it up. Or if I want to prove that Rebic put a lot of effort in this match, then I would look at kilometres ran.

To flip your argument back on you, and use your 'in reality', Kessie might have passed 90% accurate for 2-5 yard passes, yet made not a single through ball or longer ball. So was he good at passing, or keeping it simple?

As for the effort, that too is subjective. Running all over the place is what Borini used to do, but he was hardly praised for a natural part of his game. And running like a headless chicken is kind of pointless, and effort put in the wrong place.

So I take your points, but reality is you use stats after all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

Danny
post Jul 11 2020, 09:42 PM
Post #904

Allievi Nazionali

However, on topic, match tomorrow. And we're supposedly looking at Celtic's Ajer. Who I know well.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Jul 11 2020, 09:53 PM
Post #905

QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 11 2020, 09:41 PM) *
'when in reality' means 'in your opinion'. The facts/stats are undisputed, and absolute, whereas your opinion about what you see is entirely subjective. And that's fine, but I've used stats to back up certain areas of competence many times and you rejected them saying you didn't go much for stats. That's the bit I'm unable to reconcile here.

If you use them even once, then you DO go for stats.

If you show me I will eat my words.

QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 11 2020, 09:41 PM) *
To flip your argument back on you, and use your 'in reality', Kessie might have passed 90% accurate for 2-5 yard passes, yet made not a single through ball or longer ball. So was he good at passing, or keeping it simple?

As for the effort, that too is subjective. Running all over the place is what Borini used to do, but he was hardly praised for a natural part of his game. And running like a headless chicken is kind of pointless, and effort put in the wrong place.

So I take your points, but reality is you use stats after all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

You can't flip my argument because even if he made 2-5 yard passes that statement remains true, and that Kessie wasn't responsible for fucking up our attacks with misplaced passes.

Same for Borini. I think I always maintained that I appreciated Borini for his effort. We're not talking about someone's overall performance here, but about specific aspects of their play. You just don't want to accept it because apparently I criticised you sometime ago about using stats and are feeling resentful about it now that I used stats for once myself. Let's not be petty about it.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Jul 12 2020, 01:05 PM
Post #906

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 11 2020, 09:53 PM) *
If you show me I will eat my words.

No, you won't, you'll argue your way out of it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

You can't flip my argument because even if he made 2-5 yard passes that statement remains true, and that Kessie wasn't responsible for fucking up our attacks with misplaced passes.

Same for Borini. I think I always maintained that I appreciated Borini for his effort. We're not talking about someone's overall performance here, but about specific aspects of their play. You just don't want to accept it because apparently I criticised you sometime ago about using stats and are feeling resentful about it now that I used stats for once myself. Let's not be petty about it.

Waffle.

+Quote Post

CrazyMilanFan
post Jul 12 2020, 08:53 PM
Post #907

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 3,873

Game started

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Jul 12 2020, 08:58 PM
Post #908

Smoking Bianco

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 191

Weird having Gattuso against Milan (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post

CrazyMilanFan
post Jul 12 2020, 09:05 PM
Post #909

Allievi Nazionali

True and not a good start somehow just hanging to nill nill

+Quote Post

CrazyMilanFan
post Jul 12 2020, 09:07 PM
Post #910

Allievi Nazionali

But we have scored now after a great move

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Jul 12 2020, 09:34 PM
Post #911

Napoli are exactly the kind of team we can't handle. Quick on the ball, relentless, high pressing. Their combinations sometimes can be really great.

That being said, we absolutely need to increase our intensity. Some of our players have been incredibly underwhelming, Kessie, Paqueta and Hakan especially need to wake up.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Jul 12 2020, 09:35 PM
Post #912

Allievi Nazionali

I wasn't able to watch, my provider expired one day before this match haha.

But I'm a curse - I rarely witness a win. In my absence we've won three or four.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Jul 12 2020, 09:35 PM
Post #913

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jul 12 2020, 09:34 PM) *
Napoli are exactly the kind of team we can't handle. Quick on the ball, relentless, high pressing. Their combinations sometimes can be really great.

Explain why Gattuso's Milan was nothing like this, but his Napoli are kind of awesome?

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Jul 12 2020, 09:52 PM
Post #914

QUOTE (Danny @ Jul 12 2020, 09:35 PM) *
Explain why Gattuso's Milan was nothing like this, but his Napoli are kind of awesome?

Different players?

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Jul 12 2020, 10:07 PM
Post #915

Brainfart from Donnarumma. Great.

+Quote Post

68 Pages V  « < 59 60 61 62 63 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:45 PM