Reply to this topicStart new topic
> This is the season where...

Danny
post Aug 3 2014, 11:03 AM
Post #1

Allievi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6,730

We discover who the true Rossoneri among our fans and members are.

We're in for a long, hard season and I'd suggest anyone who quits (or disappears from this forum) based on it probably wasn't much of a fan in the first place.

There are many members who disappeared for one reason or another, but I'd argue the main regulars now are the board's established population. Anyone not here in January of that lot for Milan reasons are the chafe, IMO.

I myself have taken time out from the place a couple of times but not for football reasons.

If Milan get relegated this season, I'll still be here.

Will you?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

han2503
post Aug 3 2014, 11:59 AM
Post #2

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (Danny @ Aug 3 2014, 11:03 AM) *
We discover who the true Rossoneri among our fans and members are.

We're in for a long, hard season and I'd suggest anyone who quits (or disappears from this forum) based on it probably wasn't much of a fan in the first place.

There are many members who disappeared for one reason or another, but I'd argue the main regulars now are the board's established population. Anyone not here in January of that lot for Milan reasons are the chafe, IMO.

I myself have taken time out from the place a couple of times but not for football reasons.

If Milan get relegated this season, I'll still be here.

Will you?

I think the fans have been tested for a long time now, not just this coming season, if I was able to survive through the Allegri years, where we were not only not winning anything but playing such bad football that it makes you want to gauge your eyes out with a blunt and rusty object, then I can take anything this team throws at me

+Quote Post

Danny
post Aug 3 2014, 12:14 PM
Post #3

Allievi Nazionali

We couldn't disagree more on the Allegri thing but I'm not getting into that. If you're still here, despite whatever you believe to have been wrong, then you're a true fan in my eyes.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Aug 3 2014, 12:56 PM
Post #4

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (Danny @ Aug 3 2014, 12:14 PM) *
We couldn't disagree more on the Allegri thing but I'm not getting into that. If you're still here, despite whatever you believe to have been wrong, then you're a true fan in my eyes.

We disagree about Allegri's degree of fault into our downward spiral, but come on, even you have to admit that his "style" of football was just painful to watch, he made watching Milan a chore for me, even under Leo it was far more enjoyable than what Allegri did.

As for the club, I'll support Milan even if they drop into Serie B, that's never been an issue for me. But I can admit that as of late, it has become more of a chore to watch Milan each week rather than how I used to enjoy watching Milan back in the Carlo days. I still strangely anticipate each of our games, even now, because I can't help myself, but whereas back then it was more of an excited sort of anticipation these days it's more of a dreaded anticipation.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Aug 3 2014, 01:05 PM
Post #5

Allievi Nazionali

I'm a Rangers fan. To me Allegri's Milan was slicker than an oilspill on a field of mushy bananas.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Aug 3 2014, 02:21 PM
Post #6

Prima Squadra

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,660

There's one member who I won't name, he added me on MSN years back. It's quite blatant he was only here for the glory. As we got worse, his posting became less and less and even started to align himself with a new successful team. Now he doesn't post at all. It's quite sad how people want to be seen to support the top teams, do they think it makes them better or something?

+Quote Post

han2503
post Aug 3 2014, 02:37 PM
Post #7

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 3 2014, 02:21 PM) *
There's one member who I won't name, he added me on MSN years back. It's quite blatant he was only here for the glory. As we got worse, his posting became less and less and even started to align himself with a new successful team. Now he doesn't post at all. It's quite sad how people want to be seen to support the top teams, do they think it makes them better or something?

Now you've got me ridiculously curious!!!

@ Danny, Milan is my only team and I can't really make a comparison to another team I support that's going through an even rougher time, so Rangers gives you that added perspective that I, for example, do not have. Watching Milan under Allegri, playing the long ball to Ibra/Balo and wasting time at the 60th minute against Palermo or whatever because we're scraping a game was just unbearable for me, it was never fitting of Milan, even at this low we're currently experiencing, we shouldn't be reducing ourselves to that on the pitch

+Quote Post

Danny
post Aug 3 2014, 02:51 PM
Post #8

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 3 2014, 01:21 PM) *

Name and shame. I'll give you one. Tennie. More of a Barca fan now. Well...she's probably gone to Real Madrid or Atleti now. Definitely spends her time on their forums anyway. Not Milan ones.

Nice girl, odd, but not a bad soul. But absolutely not a true Rossoneri.

As for me, I did intensify my support around the 2002/2003 time when we were kings, but I had been aligned with us well before then and as we've declined, my support hasn't wavered. If anything it's got stronger.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Aug 3 2014, 02:56 PM
Post #9

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (han2503 @ Aug 3 2014, 01:37 PM) *
Now you've got me ridiculously curious!!!

@ Danny, Milan is my only team and I can't really make a comparison to another team I support that's going through an even rougher time, so Rangers gives you that added perspective that I, for example, do not have.

Our manager, Ally McCoist, insists on playing washed-up 36-year old striker Lee McCulloch in defence. btw, he can't defend to save his life. He makes Zaccardo on a bad day look like Maldini giving the performance of his life. This is the kind of garbage we Bears have to put up with - DESPITE the fact we have about 5 proper dedicated central defenders. Half of them get bench so Ally's chum Lee gets played in defence. Hopeless. Basically like Allegri insisting that 39 year old Pippo must play, so played him in defence. Yes. That bad.

Watching Milan under Allegri, playing the long ball to Ibra/Balo and wasting time at the 60th minute against Palermo or whatever because we're scraping a game was just unbearable for me, it was never fitting of Milan, even at this low we're currently experiencing, we shouldn't be reducing ourselves to that on the pitch

But...you say that, yet one of the great strengths which made Italian teams so imperious in the late 80s to early noughties was the ability to shut up shop and waste time on a one goal lead. Within the spirit of the game, of course, and it was done so cleverly but it's absolutely nothing new and Carlo did it just as much.

It's just his squad was stronger and underachieved for its weight, so a lesser Milan like Allegri's (albeit both managers won the same number of Scudettos with us ffs!) would be more noticeable because fans were getting more critical.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Aug 3 2014, 02:57 PM
Post #10

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (Danny @ Aug 3 2014, 02:51 PM) *
Name and shame. I'll give you one. Tennie. More of a Barca fan now. Well...she's probably gone to Real Madrid or Atleti now. Definitely spends her time on their forums anyway. Not Milan ones.

Nice girl, odd, but not a bad soul. But absolutely not a true Rossoneri.

As for me, I did intensify my support around the 2002/2003 time when we were kings, but I had been aligned with us well before then and as we've declined, my support hasn't wavered. If anything it's got stronger.

Danny's right! Tell us!!!

For me I was sort of indifferent during that time, which is strange since we were at the very top. I was obviously still a Milan fan but I was sort of only in name at the time as I wasn't really following the team all that closely. I really got back into it with a fierce passion during 2005, and that CL final got me even more crazy about Milan, strangely enough because that's probably the most disheartening occurrence that could ever happen to a fan

+Quote Post

han2503
post Aug 3 2014, 03:02 PM
Post #11

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (Danny @ Aug 3 2014, 02:56 PM) *
Our manager, Ally McCoist, insists on playing washed-up 36-year old striker Lee McCulloch in defence. btw, he can't defend to save his life. He makes Zaccardo on a bad day look like Maldini giving the performance of his life. This is the kind of garbage we Bears have to put up with - DESPITE the fact we have about 5 proper dedicated central defenders. Half of them get bench so Ally's chum Lee gets played in defence. Hopeless. Basically like Allegri insisting that 39 year old Pippo must play, so played him in defence. Yes. That bad.

Ouch!! That's bad!!

So you do have a LOT of perspective in comparison to someone like me who only has past Milan sides to compare this one to.

QUOTE (Danny @ Aug 3 2014, 02:56 PM) *
But...you say that, yet one of the great strengths which made Italian teams so imperious in the late 80s to early noughties was the ability to shut up shop and waste time on a one goal lead. Within the spirit of the game, of course, and it was done so cleverly but it's absolutely nothing new and Carlo did it just as much.

It's just his squad was stronger and underachieved for its weight, so a lesser Milan like Allegri's (albeit both managers won the same number of Scudettos with us ffs!) would be more noticeable because fans were getting more critical.

Shutting up shop and tactical fouls were the inventions of Italian football, I agree. But wasting time at the 60th minute and then end up drawing/losing the game (which happened often) is not something that any top Italian side ever did. Which is why everyone was highly critical of Allegri and how he was turning us into Cagliari 2.0, because that's the behaviour of a bottom level side, not Milan.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Aug 3 2014, 03:10 PM
Post #12

Prima Squadra

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,660

Suhail was his username I believe. He even asked that his account be deleted on here some time back. When City got taken over by money, he began to point out they were his local team (despite him saying he lived in Oldham).

Football fandom is quite simple really. You do not decide who you support, you do not decide if you care or not. Proper support comes from the heart. I can't just decide that I don't want to support Villa or Milan, I love the clubs too much at this point.

This post has been edited by kurtsimonw: Aug 3 2014, 03:12 PM

+Quote Post

Danny
post Aug 3 2014, 03:34 PM
Post #13

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Aug 3 2014, 02:10 PM) *
Suhail was his username I believe. He even asked that his account be deleted on here some time back. When City got taken over by money, he began to point out they were his local team (despite him saying he lived in Oldham).

Football fandom is quite simple really. You do not decide who you support, you do not decide if you care or not. Proper support comes from the heart. I can't just decide that I don't want to support Villa or Milan, I love the clubs too much at this point.

Don't recall his name...or do I? Perhaps.

And yeah, I've not got it easy with Rangers & Milan and you've hardly got a bed of roses with Villa either!

And yes, a team is in your blood for whatever reason. Whether you get into them based on a player, a period, whatever. They're there for life.

Which is why I cannot get into any American sports. I feel no affinity with any team in any US sport except the Broncos because of a video game I played as a kid. But that aside, zero. So I'm not going to start supporting them 'because they're good'. Hence I have no real team next year in the CL - admiration for Atleti's season last year but that is really it. And I don't give a crap about any Italian team other than us so I don't give a hoot how Roma, Napoli or Juve do. In fact I hope Juve f*ck up worse than they did this year. Roma and Napoli I'm indifferent to.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Aug 3 2014, 03:39 PM
Post #14

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (han2503 @ Aug 3 2014, 02:02 PM) *
Ouch!! That's bad!!

So you do have a LOT of perspective in comparison to someone like me who only has past Milan sides to compare this one to.

It would seem so. I've seen the great Rangers of 87-98 which won 9IAR and got to the effective semi final of the inaugural CL. And the final of Uefa Cup in 2008.

And now I watch them struggle against American college graduates. Or lose hopelessly to Derby. Starting again in the bottom tier of Scottish football. Which is pretty much as low as it gets!

Shutting up shop and tactical fouls were the inventions of Italian football, I agree. But wasting time at the 60th minute and then end up drawing/losing the game (which happened often) is not something that any top Italian side ever did. Which is why everyone was highly critical of Allegri and how he was turning us into Cagliari 2.0, because that's the behaviour of a bottom level side, not Milan.

True, there's a difference between doing it successfully and not. But as I suggest, Allegri's Milan was 1st, second and third. Seegri's was 8th. I'd kill to be in the CL spots again, and I'd argue Allegri's Milan's deterioration was as much to do with losing his whole team in 2012.

But...this is an argument we'll never agree on.

+Quote Post

dst
post Aug 3 2014, 04:01 PM
Post #15

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 911

I've always felt "guilty" of supporting a successful club so I don't mind the down years at all. I always thought it'd be more... romantic to support Fiorentina for example, if that makes sense. What bothers me is for a while now there's not a single player in this team I really like! There's actually more players I really don't like. And then there's Balotelli whom I can't stand. Plus, off the field this management has become so appalling and tasteless. But... Milan is Milan, it's not a matter of choice.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:13 PM