Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transfer activity is closed

4827saviola611
post Jul 16 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #1

Pulcini Provinciali 98

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 2,123

MILANELLO - During the press conference of presentation, Adriano Galliani explained that 'Milan's transfer campaign is finished with Ronaldinho. Paloschi, Abate, and Simic might leave. But there will be no more new arrivals, absolutely.'

2008-09 Milan Squad

Goalkeepers: Dida, Kalac, Abbiati

Defenders: Maldini, Favalli, Oddo, Jankulovski, Diago, Bonera, Kaladze, Nesta, Simic, L. Antonini, Darmian, Zambrotta

Midfielders: I. Abate, Brocchi, Ambrosini, Flamini, Emerson, Pirlo, Gattuso, Seedorf

Strikers: Inzaghi, Kaka, Borriello, Ronaldinho, Paloschi, A. Pato

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Jul 16 2008, 09:28 PM
Post #2

Smoking Bianco

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 191

I was hopping for one more to come ... But even so, I think Milan had added the much needed depth in key positions. Atm, Milan have a very strong squad. This is the squad that won the 2007 CL - adding all of Ronaldinho, Zambrotta, and two high quality rotation players just made this side 10x more lethal.

So if no one comes, Milan have done something considerable in this transfer window. Better than all other in Europe to say the least. And maybe Milan might be missing a quality center back; I think Bonera has a future in this side, and it will be his chance to leave his mark, as he has impressed thus far by being a very reliable player for the team. With Nesta, Maldini and Kakha; Milan have quality cover in terms of experience, they don't get as experienced as that!

Gattuso commented on Dida, when they were at the charity Goal4Africa match in Munich. He said that he found a very motivated and reborn Dida. Many claim that Ronaldinho is a has been as is Dida, but the proof really lies in this coming season. I believe it will be an all dominating season for Milan.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Jul 16 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #3

Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,564

I expected just one more signing. Someone from Italy or Brazil. As i said before, we need a offensive-wise defender, LB or RB.

For the next, winter transfer period I hope we'll turn our scouts to Africa (Desailly?), Brazil (Leonardo) and Croatia. If Šimić leaves, I expect Milan to get a proper replacement.

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Jul 17 2008, 08:45 AM
Post #4

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,865

Filippo...isn't Antonini, exactly that...the offensive LB??

As for Simic replacement, I think it was Bonera. And also I really hope and pray to see more of Darmian..but I doubt it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Jul 17 2008, 09:20 AM
Post #5

Primavera
Group Icon

Oh, I didn't strictly mean a Šimić position replacement, just another player from Croatia. Ever since Milan usually has one or two around, so I would like this tradition to continue.

Antonini? Hmh..is he any good?

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Jul 17 2008, 10:38 AM
Post #6

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,865

They said he would be replacing Serginho. I've never seen him play though.

+Quote Post

agenth
post Jul 17 2008, 01:08 PM
Post #7

Kaka's fangirl, and proud =]

Member No.: 2,687

let's hope for one defender to be added!
it's still a little more than a month to rectify this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post

Warchant
post Jul 17 2008, 05:39 PM
Post #8

Giovanissimi Nazionali
Group Icon

Member No.: 703

you know...even if they don't sign anyone else...this will be the first time in awhile i can say i've been pleased with our transfer market.

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post Jul 17 2008, 05:52 PM
Post #9

Primavera

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Warchant @ Jul 17 2008, 09:09 PM) *
you know...even if they don't sign anyone else...this will be the first time in awhile i can say i've been pleased with our transfer market.

I think everyone agrees on that. the signings of the last two/three transfer windows were... awful [except for Pato, of course].

+Quote Post

acid911
post Jul 17 2008, 07:56 PM
Post #10

Berretti

Member No.: 3,736

QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Jul 17 2008, 09:52 PM) *
I think everyone agrees on that. the signings of the last two/three transfer windows were... awful [except for Pato, of course].

Pato wasn't even a transfer, in my opinion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It was a pure snatch, just like Kaka. Milan saw some sparks in the kid and they bought him in without thinking of the ridiculous price tag. Gotta hand it to Leonardo here, for both these awesome transfers. He is the only player who has given more to the club, than what the club gave to him. Apart from Paolo, of course. All others still have some sort of a debt to pay for the fame and recognition Milan the club brought them.

By the way, if the transfer activity is closed, then that's not too good a thing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) You never can tell it with Galliani, but still I'd have preferred at least a forward (Sheva?), and bringing back Ronaldo. Cheap and best solution for a couple of years at least. Next transfer season we can look into adding a CB and a goalkeeper, maybe. If it ends here, then I'd give the activity a solid 4-stars. One more signing of any sorts, would up it to a clean 5-star. But then again, judging by the last transfer periods, this one is twenty thousand leagues ahead of our last few. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post

milanista1899
post Jul 18 2008, 05:12 AM
Post #11

Esordienti A 95

Member No.: 735

QUOTE (acid911 @ Jul 17 2008, 07:56 PM) *
I'd have preferred at least a forward (Sheva?), and bringing back Ronaldo. Cheap and best solution for a couple of years at least.

I think R10, Pippo (not so much cos he's always had injuries) & Borriello are enough of a gamble with out adding those two. Ok, the Ukranian played here before but he's 2yrs older now and severely out of form, it wouldn't be as automatic as you might think for him to be like he was before he left. We don't want to be like merda - a scrap heap for once great players turned into losers & old has beens. I wish Ronie all the best with Flamengo & if he gets back to his best after a season who knows but he's best left alone for now.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Jul 18 2008, 09:20 AM
Post #12

Primavera
Group Icon

I just hope us to snap up Crespo as a last transfer. He's free and a Serie A veteran...just what we need.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Jul 18 2008, 11:45 AM
Post #13

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jul 18 2008, 09:20 AM) *
I just hope us to snap up Crespo as a last transfer. He's free and a Serie A veteran...just what we need.

I would agree to that we only have Pippo and Boriello as real in box strikers, and with Pippo's injuries that will probably only leave us with Boriello who personally I don't trust.

Crespo was great for us a couple of seasons ago and getting him for free would be great

This post has been edited by han2503: Jul 18 2008, 11:46 AM

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post Jul 18 2008, 11:52 AM
Post #14

Primavera

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (acid911 @ Jul 17 2008, 11:26 PM) *
Pato wasn't even a transfer, in my opinion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It was a pure snatch, just like Kaka. Milan saw some sparks in the kid and they bought him in without thinking of the ridiculous price tag. Gotta hand it to Leonardo here, for both these awesome transfers. He is the only player who has given more to the club, than what the club gave to him. Apart from Paolo, of course. All others still have some sort of a debt to pay for the fame and recognition Milan the club brought them.

You just hit the nail on the head. couldn't agree with you more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

gal_kenny
post Aug 5 2008, 05:27 PM
Post #15

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 2,128

Goal.com is not that much of a reliable source but they just explained AC Milan problems totally and that's why our transfer market needs to be open or shouldn't be clsoed...Even other soccer fans realise that these are our problems. I don't know why Galliani doesn't see this or is he blind?

Calcio Debate: Galliani And Berlusconi - Arrogant Or Simply Stupid?

Milan's complacency in declaring that their summer spending is at an end shows misguided confidence in players

who can no longer compete at the highest level, writes Sulmaan Ahmad...

Milan are a club steeped in tradition and fiercely proud, but not as historically dominant as many may at first

presume. When the iconic Silvio Berlusconi first became president of the club in 1986, they had won 10 Scudetti and

two European Cups, yet under his leadership they have superceded the likes of Juventus and city rivals Internazionale to become the most recognised Italian club on the continent and most successful in Europe.

Success has come at a price, as there have been intervening periods of embarrassing failure. The loyalty shown to key players plummeting from their prime may just as easily be construed as arrogance; an unfounded belief that great players will always remain as such that has been symptomatic of the Berlusconi era. Class, after all, is not permanent - not even Fabio Capello's Milan that went the went from May 1991 to March 1993 without losing a game were truly invincible.

All good things come to an end, and seeing the Milan team that took the field on Sunday against Chelsea in the Russian Railways Cup, the game was over before it began, it was just a matter of what margin of victory the Blues would manage. With a Milan starting line-up in which Massimo Ambrosini was acting as the attacking focal point, few would have expected any Rossoneri goals - and indeed they failed to score any - but to concede five was beyond humiliation.

It was, of course, a pre-season friendly and there were injuries and absentees to take into consideration, but that only moves to strengthen the point that it is Milan's second string that will continue to be their Achilles' heel all season. Several have tipped a vengeful and resurgent Milan to win the league this coming season, but they do not, in any way, shape or form, have what it takes to compete over 38 games, unless they prove to be extremely fortunate and avoid any injuries to key players, which is as good as an impossibility when considering the intensity and frequency of competition at the highest level.

There have been calls for a revolution since the Champion League defeat to Arsenal, but they have been unanswered by the Milan hierarchy, who are running the detrimental risk of severely damaging their reputation and even tainting their past glories. Might Milan end up scrapping for fourth once more, and otherwise relying on a first ever UEFA Cup triumph to validate their misguided antics in the transfer market?

The loss against Chelsea may not be conclusive proof of Milan's failings, but it is somewhat ominous of what may be to come and indicative of the same philosophy that preceded the club's dismal showing last season, as Carlo Ancelotti's pitiful post-match comments would attest. “I don’t think the absence of a few players will affect us that much, and for this reason we will not be returning to the transfer market,” the coach told Il Corriere Dello Sport. “Our attack cannot be judged, we have no-one up there and so it cannot be criticised.” No one up there, quite right. There has been no overhaul. Star player Kaka went as far as suggesting that, without naming any individuals, it was time for some of the old guard to step aside for a new generation to be ushered in, just as they were at the top of the decade when Carlo Ancelotti took charge. Alas, not even the new prodical son had the pulling power to prise open president Berlusconi's 9.4 billion dollar wallet.

Signing Mathieu Flamini for free may prove the coup of the summer, as he is a natural successor to Gennaro Gattuso and Massimo Ambrosini, but while recalling Marco Borriello from Genoa offers the Rossoneri another option up front, of which they were desperately in need, there is a hint of Alberto Gilardino about this signing, and there remain question marks over whether this is a player capable of producing consistently at the highest level. Gianluca Zambrotta's acquisition almost signals what is already wrong with the club; this is a player that was once world class but has been on a consistent slide since the World Cup triumph of 2006 and does not have time on his side to turn things around, though being back in Italy may reawaken the confidence and consistency lost within the former Juventus man. The signing of the summer, Ronaldinho, is a monumental gamble. We may well witness a Zinedine Zidane-like resurgence and successful swansong as he had at Real Madrid, but he may conversely go the way of Ronaldo and find himself humiliated and written off in what would be a tragic end to a legendary career.

The convention wisdom is that while something has been done, it is not enough. Filippo Inzaghi cannot be relied upon to remain fit for an entire season, which puts an unreasonable amount of pressure on a relatively unproven striker in Borriello. The midfield collective is strong, though there is still an over-reliance on Andrea Pirlo, but it is in defence where the Rossoneri look like being undone. Their best goalkeeper on current form looks like being Christian Abbiati, who has recently proven with Atletico Madrid that he will offer a chance for every save he makes. No centre-backs were signed and Galliani has gone as far as to suggest Ambrosini will be deputising at the back to make up the numbers. Alessandro Nesta is the only member of the defence who can still perform at the highest level on a consistent basis, and even he has constant worries over his fitness. Milan are deteriorating from the inside while the men at the top sit idly by and, as if to add insult to injury, continue to promise greatness to the fans. Are they arrogant, or simply stupid?

This post has been edited by gal_kenny: Aug 5 2008, 05:32 PM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:48 PM