Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spring analysis of Milan's season

Danny
post Apr 24 2010, 09:35 PM
Post #1

Allievi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6,730

Last summer we lost 3 important personnel - Carlo Ancelotti, Paolo Maldini, and Kaka. Now, regardless of what their performances individually for us had become like, they were certainly iconic figureheads.

Losing all 3 in a single fell swoop was probably more upheaval than any other of the elite clubs had to tolerate, and to that end I certainly bear circumstances in mind when I look overall at the season.

I divide it into 4 segments:

The dire start.

Leo takes over, with mostly Carlo's team, fails to get Fabiano or Dzeko, ends up with Huntelaar, and for the first 2 months of the season midtable mediocrity blights us and we look like a team who could actually end up in the relegation zone. Our novice boss looks like he doesn't know what he's doing, and cannot find any systems which work.

The run.

Despite all of the above, we've managed to get into the top ten, and suddenly a cracking character-ridden win over Roma sets us on a fantastic unbeaten run where, for around 10 matches, we look absolutely imperious and scale the heights in Europe by getting to the last 16 against the odds plus looking like real challengers to Inter.

The fall back crutch.

A 2-0 reverse at the Siro to Palermo halts the run, and from the middle of December we start to look less than imperious, showing a slide into vulnerability but while managing to grab results when we really need them. We don't look fantastic, but we're reasonably solid - the run is over but we've not gone back to the way we were.

The decline.

From about late January till now it's been a fragile Milan - still managing to get the occasional great result such as beating Fiorentina, we've all too often drawn or lost, and certainly loosened our grip on second place and that brief flirting with winning the league we had. A 2-1 defeat to Sampdoria was the final nail in the coffin of any lingering hopes, with injuries and suspensions not helping in recent months culminating in 4-0 at Old Trafford and a genuine lack of belief in the team hasn't helped matters.

Now:

Leo has done not bad for a novice season, given he has no experience and inherited a flaky squad which underwent almost no surgery when he took over.

Given only one new signing in Huntelaar who hasn't quite delivered, Leo has had his hands tied behind his back and has struggled gamely with poor resources. He doesn't have a Messi, Xavi or Rooney.

That said he DOES and HAS had Nesta, Pato and Ronaldinho who are certainly capable, and while he found a system which worked last year, he has been unable to successfully try anything else since that run ceased.

The squad is in dire need of surgery, and the question is open as to whether Leo is the right man to be trusted with any funds we might get.

There are also a number of players who really need trimmed from the wage bill, and some who are certainly good enough to keep.

It's been a topsy turvy season for Milan, by no means as bad as it might have been. But it's a bit worrying to be happy that it could have been worse rather than angry that it wasn't a lot lot better. Is that what Milan have become these days?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Apr 24 2010, 09:45 PM
Post #2

Prima Squadra

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,660

QUOTE (Danny @ Apr 24 2010, 09:35 PM) *
Is that what Milan have become these days?

We're a team with a very, very average squad with a few stand out individuals. We aren't a club that spends big and we lost important players in the summer.

From where we've been in the past, this is not good enough. But for what we are in reality? We've overacheived this season, we're not even CL material in my opinion. Juventus massively underacheiving helped us big time.

+Quote Post

Fishdoll
post Apr 24 2010, 10:05 PM
Post #3

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 7,075

The coach is usually not the one trusted with transfer funds, no matter who he is. He can voice a preference but that's no guarantee the player or one even remotely like him will show up in the next five years. The transfer decisions will be made by Galliani/Braida/Berlu (to an extent).

The squad badly needs depth - some players need to go, others need to come in. I suspect next year is going to be another painful year. If I could pick types of players we need, I'd say we need 1 cb, 1 fullback, a box to box mid, and possibly another striker.

And I don't think Leonardo will be coaching here next year. The media in Italy has pretty much universally already written a postmortem on his year of coaching - the assumption is that he's going to return to Brazil to do something with the NT there in the run up to the 2014 world cup, which takes place there.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Apr 24 2010, 10:57 PM
Post #4

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Member No.: 2,008

Leo won't be coaching Milan next year, that is almost but certain. Whether they bring in Galli and Tassoti or some other figure matters little to me. What really matters is that the property settles a considerable amount of money to spend in the next signing campaign.

It is of vital importance that we get rid of all the junk in the trunk; Dida, Roma, Onyewu, Kaladze, Favalli, Oddo, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Seedorf and Inzaghi should be shown the exit door.

Who should we sign? Two centerbacks (Bonucci and Astori), two fullbacks (Rafinha and Aogo), two midfielders (Goulon and Hernanes) and a vice-Pato. Also, if we manage to sell Dinho to ManC or Flamengo for a substantial sum, we could re-invest those money to sign Balotelli.

I know this has a minimal coefficient of occurring, but when you look at it, this whole operation shouldn't cost the club more than 35m, which, in my opinion, is not a scandalous sum even for our standards. You just have to convince that **** of Berlusconi to open the wallet.

This post has been edited by X-Offender: Apr 25 2010, 12:05 AM

+Quote Post

MizNelson
post Apr 25 2010, 12:59 AM
Post #5

Dida per sempre

Member No.: 3,563

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Apr 24 2010, 02:57 PM) *
It is of vital importance that we get rid of all the junk in the trunk; Dida, Roma, Onyewu, Kaladze, Favalli, Oddo, Zambrotta, Jankulovski, Seedorf and Inzaghi should be shown the exit door.

QUOTE (X-Offender)
However, first things first, we should get rid of all the garbage in the trunk: Dida, Onyewu, Favalli, Kaladze, Oddo, Jankulovski and Seedorf.

Nice.

This post has been edited by MizNelson: Apr 25 2010, 12:59 AM

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Apr 25 2010, 01:20 AM
Post #6

(IMG:http://www.dahmus.org/blogimg/fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg)

+Quote Post

servbot
post Apr 25 2010, 07:37 AM
Post #7

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 6,771

QUOTE (Fishdoll @ Apr 24 2010, 04:05 PM) *
I'd say we need 1 cb, 1 fullback, a box to box mid, and possibly another striker.

For as awful as we have looked at times, and it has been awful, especially today, this is exactly what I was thinking. We could use more, but what we really need is just 4 solid players, in these positions - a dependable CB to backup Nesta/Silva, a FB, an attacking mid (perhaps not even a box to box one), and a capable backup striker/forward to the Pato/Borriello/Dinho front line. With those 4 things filled, and not even by world-class players, I think the squad can be competitive at least for the Scudetto again.

+Quote Post

servbot
post Apr 25 2010, 07:37 AM
Post #8

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 6,771

QUOTE (Fishdoll @ Apr 24 2010, 04:05 PM) *
I'd say we need 1 cb, 1 fullback, a box to box mid, and possibly another striker.

For as awful as we have looked at times, and it has been awful, especially today, this is exactly what I was thinking. We could use more, but what we really need is just 4 solid players, in these positions - a dependable CB to backup Nesta/Silva, a FB, an attacking mid (perhaps not even a box to box one), and a capable backup striker/forward to the Pato/Borriello/Dinho front line. With those 4 things filled, and not even by world-class players, I think the squad can be competitive at least for the Scudetto again.

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post Apr 25 2010, 11:43 AM
Post #9

Primavera

Member No.: 1,265

That said he DOES and HAS had Nesta, Pato and Ronaldinho who are certainly capable, and while he found a system which worked last year, he has been unable to successfully try anything else since that run ceased.

Pato has only played a handful of games in 2010 and Nesta has been out for some time now. that makes a lot of difference to this team.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Apr 25 2010, 11:47 AM
Post #10

Allievi Nazionali

Seeing as we're discussing what players we need, I'd say it's easier to discuss which ones we should keep.

Nesta: His best days are sadly behind him. Injuries have curtailed him, and at his age, recovery time is taking much longer than it used to. Even his form at quite a few times this season has been poor, and dare I say it but he's not what he was. *undecided*

Silva: Tricky start to the season but grew into the role. Got age on his side, and has ability on the ball. Robust at the back and good enough to play for Milan. *keep*

Pirlo: Showed a glimpse of his old form during our run - capable of dictating matches but doesn't do it anywhere near often enough. Has maybe lost the knack for the killer pass and tends to keep it simpler nowadays. *keep*

Seedorf: Consistency is something he struggles for but is probably the biggest 'killer assist/goal' player we have - can make a real impact off the bench, but rarely lasts 90 minutes. Pure class but getting older. *keep*

Ronaldinho: Can't beat men like he used to, and focuses on trying to prise defences open with clever passes - responsible for many a goal this season and a valuable asset when on his game. *keep*

Pato: Had the world at his feet but struggling to get consistency thanks to too many injuries. Has so much potential and could become a truly world class striker, but questions remain over what kind of forward he really is and if he can get a smooth run in the team. *keep*

Inzaghi: Occasionally gets a vital goal but ageing badly now and playing no more than a bit part role as a late sub. *undecided*

Huntelaar: Has shown the ability to score crucial goals more than once, and clearly does have a scent of the net, but hasn't fitted in to the system employed by Leo and hasn't really made the overall impact we hoped. Might benefit from a partner. *undecided*

Gattuso: Best days are well gone - doesn't harry and hassle like he did, and looks distinctly unhappy. *leave*

Ambrosini: Best season of his career till he ran out of steam - put slightly less pressure on him and you have one of the best DM's around. *keep*

Flamini: Grew as the season went on and showed his worth. He's capable of being more than just a squad player and should be ahead of Gattuso every time. *keep*

Borriello: A scorer of great goals but not a great scorer of goals - selfish, solo striker who works best on his own and has probably had the best season of his career, but doesn't look like he'll get to the 20 goal mark. He's good at times, but not great. *undecided*

Dida: Shown plenty of reasons as to why he was so highly regarded once upon a time, but still has a tendency to make a hash now and again. But then, doesn't every keeper? Still the best we have, by some distance, but maybe not the future - a very good squad player. *keep*

I'll stop there - not making an exhaustive list but those are probably our main players these days.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Apr 25 2010, 11:49 AM
Post #11

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (Zed.D @ Apr 25 2010, 11:43 AM) *
Pato has only played a handful of games in 2010 and Nesta has been out for some time now. that makes a lot of difference to this team.

It makes less difference than you think. We've played atrociously with them in the team, and well with them out.

Consistency seems to be missing, along with belief, regardless of who is actually playing.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Apr 25 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #12

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

I'd have Nesta and Borriello in the 'keep' category, otherwise I'm in agreement with that list.

+Quote Post

Fishdoll
post Apr 25 2010, 03:20 PM
Post #13

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 7,075

I would also add Antonini to the 'keep' list, whether he's pencilled in as a starter or as a sub.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Apr 25 2010, 03:32 PM
Post #14

I must disagree on some points with you, Danny.

First of all, without Nesta and Pato this team loses 50% of its capabilities. Nesta played about 30 games this season, and apart a few poor performances like against Inter or Manchester United, he's been rock solid and an undisputable leader in defense. Moreover, with him on the pitch, Thiago Silva's performance increases considerably as well. As for Pato, I think it's clear as crystal to everyone how his absence has affected our attacking maneuver. He's our best player after all.

Another point I don't agree on is your thoughts on Dida, Seedorf and Borriello. It's true Dida has saved our butt many times this season, but it's also true he's an inconsistent goalkeeper. He makes blunders every now and then and the defense doesn't feel safe with him on goal. I'd rather have an average and secure goalie like Abbiati then someone who could sink your match anytime.

Same argument for Seedorf. He's inconsistent. He could play an amazing game against the best team in the world and then play some other 7-8 where he only walks and irritates everyone, players and fans. Besides, he's 34 years old for Pete's sake. I want him out as soon as possible!

And Borriello? Borriello has been splended this year. He fights like a lion and scores a lot. Unless we're able to sign someone of a higher calibre like Dzeko, he should and will be our main striker.

+Quote Post

Linkman
post Apr 25 2010, 04:06 PM
Post #15

Esordienti A 95

Member No.: 7,300

I read the other day that Ronaldinho has made a grand total of 65 assists this season (before last night's match). Only 14 of those were converted into goals.

If you think about how Borriello was the prime receiver for all those passes, then no, I don't think Borriello is the man we're looking for. He could have great success in other teams, seeing as he does great solo work. But for Milan, we need someone who can score the chances we make for him.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:25 AM