3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does Milan attract the big names any more?

Danny
post May 22 2010, 05:19 PM
Post #1

Allievi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6,730

My road to being a Milan fan has been a very gradual and solid process. When Channel 4 in the UK used to broadcast Football Italia thanks to Gazza moving to Lazio, I found myself fighting with my sister every Sunday - she wanted the Eastenders omnibus, I wanted the Italian football. When I got my way, one match stood out, and that was the quite beautiful and passionate Milan derby. Despite my Glaswegian blue Rangers allegiances, it was the red and black AC I found myself siding with, an AC endowed with Van Basten, Gullit, Rijkaard, Bierhoff, Baresi etc. Some of the all time great footballers, never mind just of their own generation.

I lost touch with Italian football a little in my later teen years, but came back with a vengeance when Shevchenko came along, and that was it for me - AC Milan were firmly my second team only to Rangers, and I started watching every match I could on whatever dodgy Internet stream I had to if no tv channel had it.

Those two periods saw players like Shevchenko, Bierhoff, Kaka, Seedorf, Baresi, Maldini, Costacurta, Boban etc - yet nowadays we simply cannot attract the truly elite players like these that the club deserves.

AC Milan, imho, is one of the top 4 clubs of all time - Barcelona, Man Utd and Real Madrid are the other 3. Yet while they can bring in C Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, and David Villa, Milan have to make do with a surplus to requirements Ronaldinho. Now, don't get me wrong, I've supported and loved Ron from day one, while many of you did not till this season, but there can be no doubt that it wasn't a signing we made because we're so massive and can attract the top stars. And don't even get me started on our inability to sign Fabiano...

Finally, I get to my point: if we struggle to bring in top brass players who are befitting of the club, do we really have any hope of getting the best quality manager to replace Leonardo?

Leo did a great job for a rookie boss with an average squad, but if we are to improve as a club and become an Italian and European juggernaut as we're supposed to be, it starts by bringing in a world class manager who truly inspires the fans and the club.

But my fear is we simply don't appeal to anyone like we used to.

The only reason Dzeko is seemingly still interested is he personally supports Milan, and it was the same for Fabiano. Take a passionate reason out of the equation and you're left with a club, once a giant, now quite ordinary and struggling to get anything like the same status it once proudly boasted.

Am I wrong?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

dst
post May 22 2010, 06:23 PM
Post #2

Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 911

I don't get where this come from. I don't remember us spending what we ought to for any big names and them refusing the offer...

+Quote Post

Danny
post May 23 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #3

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (dst @ May 22 2010, 06:23 PM) *
I don't get where this come from. I don't remember us spending what we ought to for any big names and them refusing the offer...

I think you've missed the point. We don't even TRY to attract the elite players and managers any more. We go for the surplus stuff like KVH and Ronaldinho.

Examples of what I mean are these:

Man Utd - they wanted Rooney and Berbatov - and paid almost 60M for them but got them.

Barcelona - they wanted Ibrahimovic, Alves and Villa and paid close to 100M for them. And got them.

Real Madrid - went nuts and bought everyone.

But we're nowhere near competing with this. And even on the occasions when a highly rated player IS interested, our club manages to ruin the deal itself.

This is why I compare us to Arsenal - they get in some quality now and then (for Silva see Vermaelen, for Ronaldinho see Arshavin) but they seem to lack the attraction and clout to bring in the kind of guys who would make an actual difference.

And I can't say I'm thrilled about us bringing in Allegri. Milan need more ambition than they have.

+Quote Post

d'Arc.LP
post May 23 2010, 02:11 PM
Post #4

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 6,786

But we have a problem called Berlusconi that means = No money !
No money = No big names

+Quote Post

Danny
post May 23 2010, 05:17 PM
Post #5

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (d'Arc.LP @ May 23 2010, 02:11 PM) *
But we have a problem called Berlusconi that means = No money !
No money = No big names

But the problem I have with this is that in years gone by we spent fortunes on Gilardino, Kaka, Jankulovski, Oliveira.

Promising world class players who might not always work out at Milan, but the kind of player we in theory used to attract.

Case in point is Gilardino - ok, he didn't work out too well, but he was a small club's (Parma) prize asset and was not going to come cheap. We were able to attract him.

Nowadays it's INTER who attract that sort of player - for Gilardino in our case, see Milito in theirs.

Are we saying the money is no longer there, or that Berlusconi is just not interested in parting with it any more?

If we want to improve, we need a better (world class) calibre of player and manager coming in, not just 'decent' players and a 'decent' manager.

If we go on as we currently are, we'll stay in the top 4 but never challenge. We'll be good enough for the CL, but it will be a new hollow and unfeared Milan rather than what we deserve to be.

Like it or not, Inter's success is a result of years of Moratti throwing every penny he had at the club (if I am honest, I was actually pleased for him - he's invested so much in them and finally reaped his reward) - I'm not saying go that far, but it's clear huge investment in players and managers is needed, and if our bosses refuse to accommodate this, we'll just limp along for all eternity.

+Quote Post

ganney
post May 23 2010, 08:23 PM
Post #6

Esordienti A 95

Member No.: 6,656

for me attracting big names comes down to having a management that has clearly defined a purpose for itself, i.e man city(champions league qualification) real madrid(regain spanish&european dominance) barca(rule the world) chelsea(win everything possible to please the billionaire owner) mourinho says he was much too determined to win the champions league for morratti (so he could take a picture holding the trophy just like his father did 45yrs ago)
it really annoys me to see berlusconi&galliani run this club like amateurs despite having over 2decades experience.. .. .. they need to come out and define the season's objectives not gamble with a rookie manager(who imo did great), fail to address the weaknesses of the team..then sack the rookie when he should be getting praises and a healthy transfer fund to carry on with the rebuilding project

honestly i'm really not crazy about big name signings, i however do wanna know that we can get them if ever they're needed.
our transfer policy really needs to be changed, why oh why do we get all the rejects, why do we sign all these stupid co-ownership deals only to end up buying back what we already owned. imo young players are either good enough or they're not you'll not find barca sending all their kids out on loans but rather they're integrated into the set up (messi,bojan,pedro,busquets,jeffrem,jonathan)
in our case we had borriello out at several clubs,purchased gilardino for about 18m euros, sold him after 1 bad season for 15m euros then purchased 50% of borriello's contract for 10m euros, that's just insane. i wonder how much parma will eventually get for paloschi's 50%contract. we should have had antonini and abate understudy the likes of cafu,serginho&maldini at the club.. ..otherwise they'll return with (small club mentality) abate was with torino, antonini with empoli (teams that ended up relegated) they've managed to give a good account of themselves but they'll have fared better with(championship mentality)

+Quote Post

amancik
post May 24 2010, 02:13 AM
Post #7

Milanfan to Death

Member No.: 11

I would say I disagree. Like most said, the only reason we aren't able to bring in the players you mentioned is money. I'm sure most of you remember the highest transfer we ever paid for a player was Rui Costa and that was almost a decade ago. Barcelona recently forked out more than 30 mil for Ibra and Villa. Manchester United paid 30 mil for Berbatov, Liverpool paid 26 mil for Torres, and don't need to mention Real Madrid. I'm sure if we have the financial resource and little bit more aggressive in the market, everybody wants to play for us. Because one thing Milan can do is that Milan can guarantee success with the right signings.

Milan has the oldest squad if I'm not mistaken, and almost all players are over their prime. Yet, we still finished third managed to win something three years ago. We're not far behind the others, with 3-4 right signings, we'll be there again competing till the very end.

+Quote Post

Danny
post May 27 2010, 01:55 PM
Post #8

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (amancik @ May 24 2010, 02:13 AM) *
I would say I disagree. Like most said, the only reason we aren't able to bring in the players you mentioned is money. I'm sure most of you remember the highest transfer we ever paid for a player was Rui Costa and that was almost a decade ago. Barcelona recently forked out more than 30 mil for Ibra and Villa. Manchester United paid 30 mil for Berbatov, Liverpool paid 26 mil for Torres, and don't need to mention Real Madrid. I'm sure if we have the financial resource and little bit more aggressive in the market, everybody wants to play for us. Because one thing Milan can do is that Milan can guarantee success with the right signings.

Milan has the oldest squad if I'm not mistaken, and almost all players are over their prime. Yet, we still finished third managed to win something three years ago. We're not far behind the others, with 3-4 right signings, we'll be there again competing till the very end.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is my point. For me the 'right' signings would be 3 or 4 world class players, plus a top class manager to keep us completely smooth. We don't, however, seem to be able to capture the ones who'd make a difference to us.

As for boss, I'd kill to have Hiddink, I hear Sneijder wants him at Inter.

+Quote Post

Fishdoll
post May 27 2010, 02:08 PM
Post #9

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 7,075

I think Hiddink is overrated.

+Quote Post

d'Arc.LP
post May 27 2010, 02:09 PM
Post #10

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 6,786

QUOTE (Fishdoll @ May 27 2010, 01:08 PM) *

+1

+Quote Post

Danny
post May 27 2010, 02:21 PM
Post #11

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (Fishdoll @ May 27 2010, 02:08 PM) *

I'm putting your bowl in a freezer.

+Quote Post

Fishdoll
post May 27 2010, 02:41 PM
Post #12

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Excellent! I could do with some chill on a day like today (supposed to be above 30 most of the day) and, well, whisky doesn't exactly FREEZE. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post May 27 2010, 02:47 PM
Post #13

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Member No.: 2,008

QUOTE (Fishdoll @ May 27 2010, 03:08 PM) *

Nah, Hiddink is great.

+Quote Post

Fishdoll
post May 27 2010, 02:51 PM
Post #14

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Eh. He's good. But not ZOMG GREAT THE BEST EVER.

Only current coach I'd put in that category is Capello.

+Quote Post

Danny
post May 27 2010, 05:11 PM
Post #15

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (Fishdoll @ May 27 2010, 02:51 PM) *
Eh. He's good. But not ZOMG GREAT THE BEST EVER.

Why do you put things in an overstated manner like this these days? You started doing it when Blue was going on about how much he likes Mourinho, and now you're doing it here when I dare to rate Hiddink very highly.

Only current coach I'd put in that category is Capello.

Well to quote you: 'Eh. He's good. But not ZOMG GREAT THE BEST EVER' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:38 AM