> Scudetto Race Open?, Top Ten Reasons why Milan Should Believe

Tennie
post Apr 28 2009, 08:43 PM
Post #1

Token Girl
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,800

(I don't normally translate entire news articles -- it's time-consuming and sometimes rather difficult. This little gem from Eurosport Italia, however, was too good not to share with the rest of you. Many thanks to the clever folks who wrote it; translation errors are all Fishdoll's fault. link to original).

Milan – Top Ten Reasons to Believe in the Scudetto
Championship over? Championship reopened? Hard to say. One thing that’s certain is that after the last matchday in Serie A, Milan, who only a month ago seemed well out of any sort of running for the scudetto, has more reasons to hope again.

Milan’s taken over second place and Inter fell at Napoli. Championship reopened? Or a championship that’s always BEEN open? Galliani laughs off questions about a possible scudetto, replying that it’s more likely Milan will arrive second, even if it’s with a smaller point differential.

But is it really impossible to talk about a scudetto for Milan? No, nothing’s impossible until the mathematic certainties rule it out. Milan and Inter know this well.

Here, therefore, are our top ten reasons for the rossoneri to believe:

1) The history of football. The history of Serie A is full of impossible recoveries such as that of Zaccheroni’s Milan over Lazio in 98-99 when the biancocelesti threw away a 7 point lead with 7 games left. We also remember the recovery of Lazio over Juventus in 1999-2000 and that of Juve over inter in 2001-2002, and we remember last year when the nerazzuri were given the title months in advance and it turned out that they had to play a real nad proper final on the pitch at Parma.

2) Physical form. Enough of the past, let’s think about the present. Milan is continuing to grow while Inter is dwindling after that slap they got at Manchester. Perhaps one is really talking about something more mental than legs but the problems are there and they are evident. The rossoneri are reborn, Kaka being example enough: not the all speed machine of past times but in the last games the brazilian is finally returning to top form. And it’s a general blessing in every sector to have good group spirit.

3) Math. Because Milan has already made up 7 points in the last 3 matchdays; it’s therefore clearly not impossible to recoup the other 7 points in 5 games.

4) The extra man. Because the incredible Inzaghi of these last months is reminiscent of the Ganz who contributed so much to the miracle of Zaccheroni.

5) Psychological Reason 1. Because Milan has nothing to lose and can count on mental relaxation. Pirlo and company have already made their mini miracle; if something more arrives, all to the better.

6) Psychological Reason 2. Inter, on the other hand, has everything to lose: after the false step at Napoli it can’t permit itself even a moment of calm or a lessening of tension. Inter’s coach has even more to lose: nobody could imagine what would happen if at the end of the season, it was he himself who ended up with ‘zero titles’.

7) Psychological Reason 3. Because Inter never has gotten over the trauma of May 5. Moratti and the rest of management know that to lose a scudetto in this mode would be the story of the century in terms of footballing rivalry in Milan.

8) Breathing down their necks. Because, despite appearances, Inter has noticed that Milan are breathing down their necks. Clubs are doing everything to increase stress at the end of the season. Provocations, accusations and responses: a two for one that could transform into a derby atmosphere every Sunday of the championship, a competition in which it’s always an advantage to be the one in back.

9) An advantage for everyone. Because, after all, if Milan believes it’ll be good for the whole league even if Inter does end up with the scudetto.

10) Superstition. Because if they won it’d be the nerazzurri’s 17th scudetto and because football is also superstitious
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Ry4n
post Apr 28 2009, 08:53 PM
Post #2

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 932

I have hope !!!!

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Apr 28 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #3

Smoking Bianco

Member No.: 191

Thanks for the effort Tennie, but I doubt la merda will throw it away, not with 5 games left and the fixture list that they have.

But Inshalla (IMG:style_emoticons/default/king.gif)

+Quote Post

Tennie
post Apr 28 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #4

Token Girl
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,800

I don't think they'll necessarily throw it away either, R7. But it WAS an amusing article.(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It's always nice to hope.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Apr 29 2009, 01:11 AM
Post #5

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

Maybe if there were more games remaining, but they won't drop nearly enough in this short space of time.

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post Apr 29 2009, 08:28 AM
Post #6

Primavera

Member No.: 1,265

I don't think so but I want us to fight for it until the last day. I don't want to see Inter celebrating just yet.

Oh by the way, last night I had an incredible dream. Inter had thrown their advantage away and we'd won the Scudetto! it was sooooooo real (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I rarely dream about football so it happened for a reason! be warned!

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Apr 29 2009, 08:41 AM
Post #7

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,865

I don't see it happening. But I do see Inter having to work for their scudetto.

+Quote Post

elcordobez
post Apr 29 2009, 10:23 AM
Post #8

Esordienti A 95

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 251

Inter will probably drop more points but....

I hate to say it but i think we will too

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Apr 29 2009, 10:51 AM
Post #9

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,865

Yes..I think we will. Which is why it was vital for us to pick up all the points we have. We will also need to win our upcoming match, since it is the last of our 'easy' fixtures.

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post Apr 29 2009, 12:41 PM
Post #10

Primavera

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Channel4)
Blog: Don’t believe the hype

Inter’s loss at Napoli has apparently given Milan a chance of winning the Scudetto. Giancarlo Rinaldi rubbishes such a claim.

I like to believe in miracles but there is simply no way I am buying this one. Milan may have closed the gap rapidly on Inter over the last few weeks but it surely will not take them to the Scudetto. A late burst of good results cannot disguise that they are a bit short of that kind of quality.

Even Silvio Berlusconi seems to have got caught up in this Rossonero madness. He tried to suggest that but for Adriano’s handball goal in the derby, Carlo Ancelotti’s men would have been breathing down the Nerazzurri’s neck. He conveniently forgets how inconsistent the boys in red and black have been all season.

Sure, they thrashed a sub-standard Torino side. And, thanks to an early penalty, they dismissed Palermo easily enough. But I was there in the flesh to see the way they huffed and puffed to get past Lecce. Believe me, they looked anything like Serie A champions.

Of course, the same could be said for Inter on many occasions this season. They were humbled by Napoli and have often looked a side flattered by their advantage over the rest of the League. However, in contrast to Milan, they have been solid all term rather than flickering into life when all hope was almost gone.

The biggest reality check comes from the fixture list. Jose Mourinho’s men have three of their last five games at home – where they have yet to lose this season. And the best team they have to face are seventh placed Cagliari.

Compare that with Milan. Three away fixtures remain and Juventus, Roma and Fiorentina all lie in store. Nothing is certain in football, of course, but the odds are stacked against an already improbable comeback.

The Rossoneri have only papered over the cracks with this final run of positive results. They have been so far out of contention for so long that it has enabled them to play without any pressure. As soon as the crunch comes, however, I reckon the title will be Inter’s.

+Quote Post

Rivaldo
post Apr 29 2009, 01:02 PM
Post #11

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 1,063

Let's see what will be next weekend. I think Lazio may give up the game to Merda.......

+Quote Post

han2503
post Apr 29 2009, 01:11 PM
Post #12

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Apr 29 2009, 08:41 AM) *
I don't see it happening. But I do see Inter having to work for their scudetto.

I see it your way Cap'n

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Apr 29 2009, 10:51 AM) *
Yes..I think we will. Which is why it was vital for us to pick up all the points we have. We will also need to win our upcoming match, since it is the last of our 'easy' fixtures.

With the way things are going with Juve and Roma, Catania could prove to be our biggest challengers along with Fiorentina and Udine.

But I don't expect Juve or Roma to let us walk over them, I expect them to put up a real fight, especially Juve, Roma, not so sure, since they even let Lazio humiliate them.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Apr 29 2009, 01:12 PM
Post #13

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (Rivaldo @ Apr 29 2009, 01:02 PM) *
Let's see what will be next weekend. I think Lazio may give up the game to Merda.......

I don't think so, I think every team in Serie A is sick of Inter, and I expect Lazio to put up a real challenge for them

This is the only one of their remaining fixtures that I can see them lose points in to be honest (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post

I_Rossoneri
post Apr 29 2009, 04:01 PM
Post #14

Allievi Regionali B

Member No.: 558

I can see merda dropping more points before the season ends, but that said, I don't think we can win every game neither. I think it will be a lot closer than it is now though and I'm hoping Lazio can do us a massive favour on sunday. Would be great to have a close finish to the Serie A to prove that it's not only the prem that can be exciting.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Apr 29 2009, 05:23 PM
Post #15

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

Inter - Lazio
Chievo - Inter
Inter - Siena
Cagliari - Inter
Inter - Atalanta

They may drop a couple of points.. but this is fairly easy for them. We'd need them to draw 3 or lose 2 while we win all of our remaining fixtures, just can't see it. I'd say they'll pick up a minimum of 7 points at home.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:34 AM