> Serie A - Week 2 - Napoli - Milan, Date: 25/08/18 Time: 20:45 CET

Fillipo Simone
post Aug 25 2018, 09:43 PM
Post #31

Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,564

I don't think Biglia was that bad to be honest. And Borini worked his *** of; sure, he's very limited and should be used exclusively as a sub. As for Rodriguez, well. I've been harping against him on and on. He's useless with his lack of pace and limited defensive ability.

Bonaventura is perhaps limited but he still has quality and that certain spark. Calabria? Well. He's very green and lack defensive stability.

All in all I think Donnarumma costed us also much. I really don't trust him anymore and would prefer Reina.

Finally, that same mentality that haunted us last season with starting good and then slowly (or rather rapidly) sinking in a lethargic and idealess composition is what makes me worry.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Aug 25 2018, 09:44 PM
Post #32

Primavera
Group Icon

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Aug 25 2018, 11:34 PM) *
Nah man, we're just crap. Don't care how good the opponent is. We could very well lose to Frosinone for all I know.

Kick the ball, it's called. That's the only tactics we know.

You are a overreacting a bit, yes?

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Aug 25 2018, 10:03 PM
Post #33

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 2,008

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Aug 25 2018, 09:43 PM) *
I don't think Biglia was that bad to be honest.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Biglia was catastrophic.

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Aug 25 2018, 09:44 PM) *
You are a overreacting a bit, yes?

I'm angry cause this team has no game and no balls.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Aug 25 2018, 10:47 PM
Post #34

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

Hey guys. Let's face it, this was sort of expected

That being said, I'm mostly angry about our general game. It was this chaotic, rushed, frenzied approach, strangely from both sides, with Napoli being much better (obviously)

The midfield will be our downfall this season as predicted. Biglia was a complete mess, but we were even more messy and chaotic after he was taken off if that's even possible.

The passing around at the back is another huge issue. First off, to do this you need to have a keeper who is comfortable on the ball, Donna is absolutely terrible in this regard. Romagnoli and Musacchio are both ok to semi decent on the ball, but they simply cannot handle the type of pressure Napoli were putting them under. Calabria was also all over the place defensively, haven't seen him play that bad since the derby 2 years ago.

All in all, it was one giant mess. Too rushed, no coherent tactical plan, just cringe worthy stuff. Even while we were winning I was constantly shaking my head. We couldn't string 5 passes together or keep the ball for more the a whole minute.

Rino needs to get his sh!t together. That team selection was bad, the mindset was bad and the tactical approach was bad as well. How were we 2-0 up and still rushing around like headless chickens??

And we have Roma coming up next on Friday... This could be really bad for us as we'll most likely head into the international break without a single point on the board...

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Aug 25 2018, 10:57 PM
Post #35

Primavera
Group Icon

Donna needs to be replaced with Reina. And yes, as feared, Bakayoko and Kessie seem redundant.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Aug 25 2018, 11:52 PM
Post #36

How can we fix this, though? These are the players. Biglia, Kessie, Bakayoko. We need to field at least two of them. Cos the alternatives are Montolivo, Bertolacci and Jose Mauri.

The main issue is that we don't have players who are good on the ball, i.e. who don't lose it like idiots as our midfielders do most of the time.

I've never seen anyone as lost as Biglia was tonight. Every time he received the ball he looked helpless. Sure enough, their first goal came from his mistake.

I don't know what Rino can do, he's a bit helpless himself in this situation.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Aug 26 2018, 12:16 AM
Post #37

Primavera
Group Icon

For starters he could have wished for someone else then Bakayoko who seems totally redundant.

Then we should have tried to address the midfield problem. We lack speed and intelligence, none of our players can provide that. We should have gotten rid of Monto and Bertolacci, Biglia probably as well. But well... again, Biglia wasn't good today, but you make it sound lot worse IMO.

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Aug 26 2018, 12:43 AM
Post #38

Smoking Bianco

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 191

Milan played a great first half, showed courage and spirit.

I for one expect Napoli (and to a larger extent Ancelotti) to triumph today. They were afterall runners up last season. Have much experience and are a CL team (not necessarily winners, but contenders).

There is much to improve on and its good Milan are facing Napoli and next week Roma, two strong teams to get things moving. The team should start to get inform as the first couple of games are under way. Add to that Milan has 8 new players, some require time to adapt to Serie A while others need to build a rapport with their team mates.

As always Forza Milan!

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Aug 26 2018, 02:41 AM
Post #39

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Aug 26 2018, 12:16 AM) *
For starters he could have wished for someone else then Bakayoko who seems totally redundant.

Then we should have tried to address the midfield problem. We lack speed and intelligence, none of our players can provide that. We should have gotten rid of Monto and Bertolacci, Biglia probably as well. But well... again, Biglia wasn't good today, but you make it sound lot worse IMO.

"Could have" "Should have"

I'm talking about right now. What solutions do we have?

At the top of my head there's switching to 4-2-3-1. Since our midfielders are so inept we need to think of a formation that puts less burden on the midfield to create and leave that duty to the three attacking midfielders instead.

Unfortunately, we need to continue relying on Biglia and Kessie since we have nobody else, unless we wanna give Bertolacci a second chance.

But I'm pulling at straws here. Honestly, I don't see any clear solution. If the players could man up and have the balls to fight for a change, that would be a good start.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Aug 26 2018, 01:12 PM
Post #40

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Aug 25 2018, 11:52 PM) *
How can we fix this, though? These are the players. Biglia, Kessie, Bakayoko. We need to field at least two of them. Cos the alternatives are Montolivo, Bertolacci and Jose Mauri.

The main issue is that we don't have players who are good on the ball, i.e. who don't lose it like idiots as our midfielders do most of the time.

I've never seen anyone as lost as Biglia was tonight. Every time he received the ball he looked helpless. Sure enough, their first goal came from his mistake.

I don't know what Rino can do, he's a bit helpless himself in this situation.

Biglia was terrible yesterday, no doubt about it. But when he's in form, he's the only player we have that can distribute the ball and is capable of playing a defensive role in midfield through correct positioning. If he can't get his sh!t together than there is no hope for that midfield. We might as well try to put Monto in there.

Bakayoko and Kessie cannot play a holding role. They're constantly running around like maniacs and chasing the ball around instead of positioning themselves to win it back. That's why we looked even worse when Biglia was taken off yesterday, because no matter how terrible he was, Bakayoko running around chasing everything put us in an even worse situation as huge gaps opened up in the midfield. Kessie does the same thing essentially.

I think a 4-2-3-1 could be a solution, but whoever plays next to Biglia will need to learn the art of positioning and not just running around like a headless chicken chasing the ball

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Aug 26 2018, 12:16 AM) *

The fact that we didn't address the midfield issue is something that will haunt us throughout this season, just like it has for the last 7 years.

Countless coaches and 3 ownership changes and still no one has addressed this issue or even acknowledged it. It can't be something that it's just us who see it (as in the fans). Last summer they tried to address it with Biglia but he's been a huge let down.

QUOTE (Rossoneri7 @ Aug 26 2018, 12:43 AM) *
Milan played a great first half, showed courage and spirit.

I for one expect Napoli (and to a larger extent Ancelotti) to triumph today. They were afterall runners up last season. Have much experience and are a CL team (not necessarily winners, but contenders).

There is much to improve on and its good Milan are facing Napoli and next week Roma, two strong teams to get things moving. The team should start to get inform as the first couple of games are under way. Add to that Milan has 8 new players, some require time to adapt to Serie A while others need to build a rapport with their team mates.

As always Forza Milan!

I disagree about it being a great first half. The socre was misleading. We were a chaotic mess out there throughout the game. I simply do not understand why Rino would go to the San Paolo and have the team trying to play quick, one touch, play out from the back football when we have no one in this team capable of doing that. We should have defended with a deep line and frustrated them, picked our moments on the counterattack. This especially when we found ourselves miraculously a goal up. But we simply did not do this. We went gung ho all game long, with not a hint of composure or fluidity to be seen.

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Aug 26 2018, 02:41 AM) *
"Could have" "Should have"

I'm talking about right now. What solutions do we have?

At the top of my head there's switching to 4-2-3-1. Since our midfielders are so inept we need to think of a formation that puts less burden on the midfield to create and leave that duty to the three attacking midfielders instead.

Unfortunately, we need to continue relying on Biglia and Kessie since we have nobody else, unless we wanna give Bertolacci a second chance.

But I'm pulling at straws here. Honestly, I don't see any clear solution. If the players could man up and have the balls to fight for a change, that would be a good start.

I agree about the 4-2-3-1. I'd shackle Biglia and Kessie/Bakayoko to a more defensive midfield-pivot and let the 4 upfront deal with the creativity. Playing a 3-ma midfield with this bunch, especially when Biglia is so off form is a mistake.

Honeslty, I have a bad feeling about Rino this season. I don't think he'll last long tbh

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Aug 26 2018, 07:03 PM
Post #41

Reina
Abate - Caldara - Romagnoli - Laxalt
Kessie - Biglia
Suso - Hakan - Bona
Higuain

Scrap Donnarumma, Calabria and Rodriguez. They're not good enough.

I think Kessie does better in the double pivot, because it establishes him as a pure defensive midfielder, which in turn exalts his physical qualities (not to mention that's the position he played at Atalanta). When played as mezz'ala, he is given too much freedom which ends up in him running like a headless chicken and leaving plenty of gaps behind. And Biglia would also have a supporting partner rather than being by himself and hence succumbing to pressure.

Obviously I also think that's the perfect position for Hakan, whereas Suso and Bona would continue playing in their respective roles. Don't forget Bonaventura was the left winger in Atalanta's 4-4-2 back in the day.

I seriously think this is the best we can achieve given the roster of players at disposal. It's far from perfect, but any other formation would simply give us problems.

But does Gattuso have the brains and balls to switch to it? I have my doubts.

This post has been edited by X-Offender: Aug 26 2018, 07:06 PM

+Quote Post

han2503
post Aug 26 2018, 08:28 PM
Post #42

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Aug 26 2018, 07:03 PM) *
Reina
Abate - Caldara - Romagnoli - Laxalt
Kessie - Biglia
Suso - Hakan - Bona
Higuain

Scrap Donnarumma, Calabria and Rodriguez. They're not good enough.

I think Kessie does better in the double pivot, because it establishes him as a pure defensive midfielder, which in turn exalts his physical qualities (not to mention that's the position he played at Atalanta). When played as mezz'ala, he is given too much freedom which ends up in him running like a headless chicken and leaving plenty of gaps behind. And Biglia would also have a supporting partner rather than being by himself and hence succumbing to pressure.

Obviously I also think that's the perfect position for Hakan, whereas Suso and Bona would continue playing in their respective roles. Don't forget Bonaventura was the left winger in Atalanta's 4-4-2 back in the day.

I seriously think this is the best we can achieve given the roster of players at disposal. It's far from perfect, but any other formation would simply give us problems.

But does Gattuso have the brains and balls to switch to it? I have my doubts.

Agree, but I don't think Abate is the solution.

He's declined a lot. Calabria was great last season. He's started rusty, but we should give him some time, at least until Conti is fit again. Laxalt might be a bit defensively suspect but I agree, he should start at this point. At least he has speed which allows him to recover his positioning

I'd really like to see what Castillejo can do as well. Bona is a rather limited player for that position imo, but he's good for now.

Problem is, I can't see Rino switching to this

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Aug 26 2018, 09:17 PM
Post #43

QUOTE (han2503 @ Aug 26 2018, 08:28 PM) *
Agree, but I don't think Abate is the solution.

He's declined a lot. Calabria was great last season. He's started rusty, but we should give him some time, at least until Conti is fit again. Laxalt might be a bit defensively suspect but I agree, he should start at this point. At least he has speed which allows him to recover his positioning

I'd really like to see what Castillejo can do as well. Bona is a rather limited player for that position imo, but he's good for now.

Problem is, I can't see Rino switching to this

I think Abate is far better defensively, plus has experience, which Calabria clearly lacks. But still, I wouldn't mind Calabria there either. The point is to actually play that formation.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Aug 26 2018, 11:00 PM
Post #44

Primavera
Group Icon

Well, I agree that a 4-2-3-1 could be the right answer.

Han, I don't think Calabria had a special season. He was okay but the problem with him is that he's neither defensively solid like Tassotti or Maldini were nor offensively good like Sergio or Cafu. Beside the midfield situation the fullback problem is something Milan bears ever since the two mentioned Brazilians retired. Just think how modern teams deploy their fullbacks. Look at ManCity how they play a defensively awful Mendy to their advantage. Or Bayern with Kimmich and Alaba. Defending for fullbacks has been reduced to sheer speed and pace whereas the main part is their "pendolino" running and offensive work. Can Calabria deliver? Rarely. One of ten crosses will be good, one of ten forward runs will result in something dangerous. Too little. So I agree about Conti being the first choice and until then - Abate.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Aug 27 2018, 03:18 PM
Post #45

According to Sky, Gattuso will play 4-3-3 vs Roma as well. Caldara and Laxalt should play instead of Musacchio and Rodriguez.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:49 PM