Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The players of Milan

Danny
post Oct 4 2012, 11:02 PM
Post #1

Allievi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6,730

Just felt the urge to debate the different perceptions of the role we all believe various players fill. The kind of players we all believe they are because I've noticed some disagreement. I'll start.

Abbiati: A keeper whose shot stopping skills have won me over completely and at times are utterly remarkable. Amazingly under-rated stopper who on form is as good as anyone. Prone to the odd gaff at times, but few goalies aren't. Seems to be getting better with age. Commands his box well. But does release the ball a bit early at times.

Abate: an industrious full back with pace but not the world's best defensively. He supports attacks well and adds a good balance, and has deserved his Italian place, but known to get caught out of position due to his attacking nature.

Antonini: more defensive than Abate - lacks the skill of his team mate and doesn't pretend otherwise. Reasonable in defence but overall an ordinary FB.

Mexes: never been a premier defender - has just been on the cusp of greatness but never really made it all the way. Good reading of the game and had a stodgy start to life at Milan but found his game. Not Silva by any means, but he's good enough to justify a first slot of his own. 29 caps for France at age 30 is about right for his ability.

Zapata: not seen a huge amount but seems to be very quick and capable of some vital challenges.

Bonera: tbh this guy, for a squad player, doesn't let his club down much. He is ordinary, but honourable and very reliable when called upon. Not sexy, not glamorous, but doesn't blunder a huge amount. Won't take his defence anywhere but does a job.

De Jong: a younger version of Ambrosini at his best. He keeps the game simple and doesn't try too much fancy - doesn't waste the ball much and rarely jogs out of position. But very hardy and solid in the challenge, sometimes too solid. Pretty reliable.

Monto: the closest we have to a D-LP, his use of the ball is not unlike Milan's Pirlo - capable of defence-shredding vision but also a bit wasteful at times too. Not all that different to Aquilani in truth, but more favoured by the management and has also been a fixture for his country.

Urby: a cheap and cheerful Seedorf - will never be half the player Clarence was but works hard, makes runs, and is able to score occasionally plus create for others. He's decent, not more, not less.

Ambro: past his sell by date and only now useful for sealing up a game when in the lead. Will start lesser Serie A games now and again but really should remain as little more than a squad member in case of injury.

Muntari: similar to De Jong and Ambro - can score as well which helps but isn't an overly valuable member of the squad.

Flamini: the modern Gattuso - works very hard and covers a lot of grass but very limited in forward-thinking ability and really only any use as a deep DM - could actually be a half decent 1 in a 4-1 formation.

Nocerino: box-to-box mid who covers a lot of grass. Very hard working and does what a lot of the others do - but in one overall package. Earned his call up to the Italian squad for sure.

Prince: very hard to use him properly - a sort of circle to box forward AM who can score and support attacks but isn't of a creative principle to create attacks himself. A system needs to fit around him.

Bojan: the povery-stricken man's Messi/Ronaldo. His frail frame is an issue in the tough Serie A, but he has skill and vision and can play in any angle going forward. It must be bared in mind he's only 22 and has developing to do, but if he goes in the right path could be a fine player for whoever he ends up at.

SES: not hugely quick but very skillful. The boy has talent and should be used as a SS supporting a front man. Found his scoring boots this season.

Pato: Potential potential potential. That is all.

Pazzini: the modern Pippo - a pure goalscorer but without the brilliant movement of Inzaghi. He just gets goals and little more. Needs service.

Robinho: Inconsistent finishing lets him down, and doesn't have the incredible pace he once did. A decent forward nonetheless, but not the player of old for sure.

I've missed a few as I couldn't be arsed covering all of them.

What do you guys think? Where do you agree/disagree?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

CHU-LIP
post Oct 5 2012, 08:13 AM
Post #2

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 7,230

This is actually kind of interesting.

I will comment later. Just woke up...

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Oct 5 2012, 09:14 AM
Post #3

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,865

QUOTE (CHU-LIP @ Oct 5 2012, 02:43 PM) *
This is actually kind of interesting.

I will comment later. Just woke up...

Great thread Dan-O. Will comment too. Like Chu said...I just got to work. So I'm more or less in the same situation as Chu.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Oct 5 2012, 11:02 AM
Post #4

Prima Squadra

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,660

I agree with most. On Boateng - I don't think he actually has a role. He's not good enough at anything to excel. He is nowhere near hard working, disciplined, or simply good enough defensively to play anywhere with any kind of defensive role. He's not a wide player and he's not creative enough to be a #10. I just don't see where he fits, in any team.

A poverty-stricken-man's Ronaldo/Messi. Love it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

acid911
post Oct 5 2012, 01:11 PM
Post #5

Berretti

Member No.: 3,736

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Oct 5 2012, 02:14 PM) *
Great thread Dan-O. Will comment too. Like Chu said...I just got to work. So I'm more or less in the same situation as Chu.

Oh, I know all to well what you've got to do. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Work.

(IMG:http://i47.tinypic.com/33yqm9e.jpg)

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Oct 5 2012, 01:25 PM
Post #6

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,865

How dare you sir? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Even to insinuate that I'm having hard liquor!!!

It's Oktoberfest. I'll (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) errm..catch you cats later.

(IMG:http://www.40cozy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/german-oktoberfest-girls.jpg)

+Quote Post

acid911
post Oct 5 2012, 01:32 PM
Post #7

Berretti

Enjoy, man. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/king.gif) Have fun!

+Quote Post

milanbuf88
post Oct 5 2012, 03:25 PM
Post #8

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 7,674

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Oct 5 2012, 09:25 AM) *
How dare you sir? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Even to insinuate that I'm having hard liquor!!!

It's Oktoberfest. I'll (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) errm..catch you cats later.

(IMG:http://www.40cozy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/german-oktoberfest-girls.jpg)

YUM!!

Such great beer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

Danny
post Oct 6 2012, 11:56 AM
Post #9

Allievi Nazionali

Well THIS went off topic!

+Quote Post

acid911
post Oct 6 2012, 12:15 PM
Post #10

Berretti

Hold steadfast, Danny, it'll go on topic soon enough. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Besides, you elaborated your points well enough for all, I am not sure many will be adding to them, the detailed explanation and analysis you gave for all the players. For what it's worth, though, I agree with pretty much everything you said, save for your enthusiasm for Boateng.

I think he's a great player to have in a team, hard to bring the best of us, but he's one of those guys that can be labeled as a 'touch player'. If he is in form and find that extra bit of motivation, he can be pure devastation for the other team - if not, then he is a bit of a liability. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif) Particularly at the position he occupies for us currently.

A #10 (true or false) is one of the most important player in a team, the one others count on for changing a match.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Nov 21 2012, 10:06 AM
Post #11

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

Good god, a good topic and we ruin it with off-topics. People, let's focus and give some answers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

acid911
post Nov 21 2012, 10:33 AM
Post #12

Berretti

Well, with such an elaborate and well-written original post, you rarely do find answers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif) It just is this way!

+Quote Post

amancik
post Nov 21 2012, 07:40 PM
Post #13

Milanfan to Death

Member No.: 11

I absolutely agree with almost everything I must say. After seeing our performances this season, it's safe to say Danny's got it almost spot on. Perhaps in a few more games we can add De Sciglio, Constant and Acerbi in there.

This post has been edited by amancik: Nov 21 2012, 07:41 PM

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Jan 15 2013, 11:32 AM
Post #14

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

Didn't know where to put this: Milan foreign players since 1945 - Sporcle

Got 126 out of 143, but somehow managed to forget Ba and Kaka.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Jan 24 2013, 02:50 PM
Post #15

Allievi Nazionali

My mind has gone totally bloody blank. I'm struggling. I cannot think!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:49 AM