Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fiorentina fury at Calciopoli verdict

Rossoneri7
post Mar 30 2007, 10:35 PM
Post #1

Smoking Bianco

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 191

Fiorentina President Andrea Della Valle has threatened to quit after the latest Calciopoli verdict suggested the club did not deserve such harsh punishment.

“With that sentence they took away 45 points, the Champions League spot we had earned last term and perhaps cost us the same goal this year, while we lost £15m,” slammed the patron.

“I have to ask – who will recompense us for all of this? Someone has got to give us some answers. However, we do not intend to seek official compensation. I just want to express the anger of this club, the city and its fans.”

The side was originally demoted to Serie B in the summer, but a series of appeals saw them return to the top flight with a 15-point penalty – more than any of the other teams except for Juventus.

However, the details of the CONI Conciliation led by Marcello De Luca Tamajo were released today and suggested the evidence against the Viola was not so very damning.

Diego Della Valle saw his original ban of three years and nine months reduced to expire on March 31, while his brother Andrea (three years) and director Sandro Mencucci (18 months) can return at the end of the season.

The paperwork from the CONI states that the three Viola directors “moved to protect Fiorentina within the rules, therefore without taking any advantages nor suffering consequences.”

It also explains “they did this in reaction to alleged refereeing mistakes against them. They turned to the Federal Vice-President, someone who for his role within the institution could not help but represent a guarantee of fairness and legality.”

The main reason to punish Fiorentina appears to be the fact that Andrea Della Valle and Mencucci spoke directly to refereeing designator Paolo Bergamo.

This is illegal and not allowed within the rules. However, it should also be pointed out that throughout the Calciopoli trial and beyond, Bergamo confirmed almost all the club Presidents spoke to him directly.

“I will be honest, I thought about leaving the Presidency and I still have to evaluate fully what I will do next,” added Della Valle in his Press conference.

“It took a long time – over 10 months – to get some precise sentences and nobody found any match-fixing from Fiorentina. We lost 45 points and £15m, which would have allowed an ambitious club like ours to take that step up in quality.

“Not going into the Champions League for two years running is an incredible dent to the side and our long-term project. We will continue anyway, for the fans, the lads and the Coach. We must stay close to the team at this time.”

Despite the 15-point penalty – which was originally 19 – Fiorentina have clawed their way back to within 10 points of fourth place.

“At the start of the season everyone thought we were dead ducks, but now look where we are.”

Football Italia
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Mar 30 2007, 10:36 PM
Post #2

Smoking Bianco

Just out of curiousity, but is there a possibility that they would be compenstated the points deducted ??

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Mar 30 2007, 10:49 PM
Post #3

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

There is a chance of that. But If that moved them into a European position It's a bit unfair on the team they take the place of, it would essentially be punishing them.

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Mar 31 2007, 01:16 AM
Post #4

Smoking Bianco

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Mar 31 2007, 12:49 AM)
There is a chance of that. But If that moved them into a European position It's a bit unfair on the team they take the place of, it would essentially be punishing them.

If any ruling comes out now and Fiorentina are increased by the points that they had been deducted, then I will seriously loose my head. Cuz it's one thng having to challenge Palermo and Lazio alone, then it is another thing to bring in Fiorentina ... Cuz we have the CL to think about, and are usually side tracked by it ..

In any case, I hope they wont be compensated

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Mar 31 2007, 08:19 PM
Post #5

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

I think this is why they've bought in that FA Cup/5th placed CL spot. UEFA are worried one of their top clubs may have a bad season and miss out. They're basically trying to fix it so every big name makes it. We shouldn't need to worry.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:52 PM