Zed.D
post Jan 31 2012, 09:01 AM
Post #1

Primavera

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 1,265

Sacchi: How old are Milan’s players?

By Football Italia staff

Arrigo Sacchi has lightly attacked Milan, revealed which Coach he recommended to both the Rossoneri and Real Madrid and where Italy are falling short on youth development.

Current technical coordinator with the Italian FA, Sacchi had the opportunity to speak to the media at FIGC’s national training centre at Coverciano, and began with a wry dig at his old team Milan.

The Rossoneri defeated their Sardinian visitors 3-0 in a low-tempo affair on Sunday night to move back to within a point of League leaders Juventus. Despite the ease with which the result was achieved, the San Siro side’s pace of play did not go unnoticed by the club’s former Coach.

“I saw Milan last night and I had doubts that some of the players were not my age,” commented the 65-year-old, who revolutionised how Il Diavolo played its football in the late 1980s.

“With all my affection for the Rossoneri, when I see them I am reminded of a phrase [former Real Madrid player and sporting director Jorge] Valdano says: ‘I always hope to see lots of Italian football matches, because they do so few interesting things, that they then see a replay, and for the rest of the game can do no more.’”

However, Sacchi also made it clear he was not criticising Coach Massimiliano Allegri, even if he then suggested that he won’t win the League this year.

“Allegri is a great Coach, he has a squad that is perhaps the most complex, but with many individuals, where Juventus are less complex but have fewer individuals.

“The Bianconeri are going to win the Scudetto because they have an advantage, to not participate in Europe, and there is a big push by all that are there. Juve are playing a continuous, international style of game, with good players but few who are excellent.”

The former national team Coach, who took Italy to the 1994 World Cup final in between two spells with Milan, is now responsible for overseeing the national team’s youth development from Under-16 to Under-21 level.

The 4-4-2 tactician took the opportunity in front of the assembled media to reflect on where he still thinks Italy can improve in supporting its youth.

“FIGC is giving us a big hand on the youth development, but perhaps we could do more, particularly from an economic point of view. No doubt we are behind in terms of investment.

“Suffice to say, Real Madrid invests €40-45m in its youth sector, Barcelona €50-55m, whilst Milan and Inter, who invest the most in Italy, only spend about €14-15m. This fact prevents us from evolving as we should do.”

Sacchi also passed comment on Pescara Coach Zdenek Zeman, who he revealed he holds in high regard.

“Zeman is still a good Coach, one of the best, not only at national level either. He was one of the three Coaches I recommended to Milan after the first time I left Milan and again I said the same thing about Zeman when I left Real Madrid.

“There is a harmony to his game, it seems almost like a utopia, and this is down to the strength of his ideas.

“If he had an orchestra, the tune would be Pescara.”

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

I_Rossoneri
post Jan 31 2012, 05:17 PM
Post #2

Allievi Regionali B

Member No.: 558

So basically he knocks Milan at every available opportunity and can't praise real enough (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) some legend he is...

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Jan 31 2012, 07:04 PM
Post #3

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,865

Yeah..this is starting to be a bit of a trend with him. I think he's still sore about having been let go from Milan.

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post Feb 1 2012, 09:36 PM
Post #4

Primavera

You can't deny there's some truth in what he says though.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Feb 1 2012, 09:42 PM
Post #5

Berretti

Member No.: 3,736

Wholesome truth, too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I've known Sacchi and his philosophy long enough to know that the man is a straight-shooter. He says it as he sees it. If he is knocking Milan, chances are it's because of some stupid shtick we are trying to pull.

+Quote Post

I_Rossoneri
post Feb 1 2012, 10:37 PM
Post #6

Allievi Regionali B

QUOTE (acid911 @ Feb 1 2012, 08:42 PM) *
Wholesome truth, too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I've known Sacchi and his philosophy long enough to know that the man is a straight-shooter. He says it as he sees it. If he is knocking Milan, chances are it's because of some stupid shtick we are trying to pull.

Yes but I don't see Don Fabio knocking us like that! Saachi also always seems to heap plenty of praise on his favourite club real madrid though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

I_Rossoneri
post Feb 1 2012, 10:41 PM
Post #7

Allievi Regionali B

Also before we all get too carried away with Saachi let us not forget the players he had at his disposal - MVB, Rijkaard, Gullit, Baresi, Maldini etc I think most managers could do well with those players. The real challenge is trying to do win without money like we're doing now.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Feb 1 2012, 11:17 PM
Post #8

Berretti

Member No.: 3,736

Can't argue with that, but I was speaking purely on his understanding of the game. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) A guy like him probably eats and breaths football, and knows a lot of things inside out. And by this I mean deep knowledge of the inner workings of the club. To me he seems like a guy who says it like he sees it - just like Paolo Maldini.

As for Real Madrid, there is no denying they are a step above us, and have been for a few years now.

+Quote Post

I_Rossoneri
post Feb 1 2012, 11:30 PM
Post #9

Allievi Regionali B

QUOTE (acid911 @ Feb 1 2012, 10:17 PM) *
Can't argue with that, but I was speaking purely on his understanding of the game. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) A guy like him probably eats and breaths football, and knows a lot of things inside out. And by this I mean deep knowledge of the inner workings of the club. To me he seems like a guy who says it like he sees it - just like Paolo Maldini.

As for Real Madrid, there is no denying they are a step above us, and have been for a few years now.

They are only a step above us because they have money to spend, and that comes from the Spanish government! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

As for Sachi, yes he might eat and breathe football but the game has evolved since he managed, he'd do well to understand this befor just opening his mouth and making himself look stupid. There is one thing being constructive, but he just likes to have a go at every opportunity, sour grapes perhaps?????

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Feb 2 2012, 11:16 AM
Post #10

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

If I'm going to take someones opinion on players, it probably won't be the guy that was Director of Football at a club that spent £35m in a summer to buy Owen, Gravesen and Woodgate..

This post has been edited by kurtsimonw: Feb 2 2012, 11:21 AM

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post Feb 3 2012, 09:40 AM
Post #11

Primavera

Maybe Sacchi is overrated after all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

Brian Birkin
post Feb 6 2012, 03:40 AM
Post #12

Esordienti B 96

Member No.: 463

Juventus has a dangerous team, and the only challenger to us this season. But like yesterday, they have performed bad home against lower ranked teams such as Siena and dropped several leads. This is not how we perform. Now, there is only 1 point between (4 at most if they win against Parma), but I believe the win is up to us. If we can win matches ahead, we will go past but we cannot afford losing points here and there, especially Juve not being in Champions.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Feb 6 2012, 02:01 PM
Post #13

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,109

The only thing we lack atm is getting that 1st place position, because once we do manage that I think a lot of Juve's determination and grit which has gotten them past teams will start to fade away. But atm, with our current situation I can't see that happening.

Luckily enough, Juve have lost points in their easy games while we're going through our hardest fixtures. Which is why we're still in touching distance. This could prove costly to them since their hard fixtures come in later, while I can't see us losing point against the easier sides.

+Quote Post

Brian Birkin
post Feb 6 2012, 06:40 PM
Post #14

Esordienti B 96

Member No.: 463

I agree with that. We are playing hard matches early. Against other teams, we have shown that we can score wins with 3/4-0. But also, the derby could be decisive late on.

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post May 13 2012, 08:31 AM
Post #15

Primavera

It's interesting to read Sacchi's comments again... and our comments.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:46 AM