> Blog: Milan's Torres loss

dst
post Mar 12 2008, 04:10 PM
Post #1

Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 911

Fernando Torres left Milan, rather than Inter, red faced in the Champions League. Antonio Labbate explains why

(IMG:http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/blogs/torres460.jpg)

Despite Inter’s Champions League exit, there must surely have been more than an ounce of regret amongst the Milanista faction of Italian society on Tuesday night. Sure, their eternal rivals had been dumped out of Europe yet again, but it was the fact that Fernando Torres played such a key role in Liverpool’s 3-0 aggregate win which should see certain questions being asked of the Diavolo hierarchy.

It’s no secret that El Nino was a player who Milan had seriously looked at in the past. The story goes that Rossoneri stalwart Demetrio Albertini first alerted the San Siro giants to Torres in 2002 after his own switch to the youngster’s previous club, Atletico Madrid. The Spaniard was just a kid at the time, 18 to be exact, but Albertini had played alongside enough talent throughout his career to spot a star in the making.

The former Italian international, despite being rudely shown the door by a club he adored, suggested that Torres would be an excellent investment for the future. However, Milan failed to make a concrete move. Even during transfer negotiations between the two clubs over other players, Torres never arrived at San Siro. It looks to be a costly mistake.

Torres joined Liverpool last summer for £21.5m. Big money? No, a snip really when you consider that Milan handed over £15m plus the £3m-rated Johann Vogel to Real Betis for Ricardo Oliveira in 2006. While the latter is back in Spain with Real Zaragoza, Fernando is delivering goals and performances which turn good players into great ones.

In the two clashes against Inter, Torres left his mark. He got Marco Materazzi sent off in the first leg and then struck the killer blow at San Siro in the return. And while Milan’s own Champions League campaign came to a lacklustre ending against Arsenal last week, Torres’ European Cup adventure continues.

The Rossoneri have clearly invested wisely in the past by gambling on Kaka and, in all probability, Alexandre Pato, but there must surely be a touch of remorse about the one who got away. To some fans, Torres’ goal against the Nerazzurri will still make him a Rossoneri idol. The problem is that he became one wearing the red of Liverpool rather than their own mythical jersey.

I never heard of this before. I mean Albertini advising Milan to get him... it could be possible. There have been rumors that Milan were following him but nothing concrete... if we hesitated then we can only blame ourselves... but I guess we "are fine as we are"... At least he is a Pool fan so I don't feel so bad about it. I'm not going to cry over this we should instead look elsewhere and learn to listen to what Albertini has to say... (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Also, for the record, Albertini was not shown the door, he opened it himself.

This post has been edited by dst: Mar 12 2008, 04:14 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

m1ke
post Mar 12 2008, 04:27 PM
Post #2

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I'm pretty sure it's true (I remember reading about it way back), but that still doesn't change the fact that this guy who wrote the article is just stating the obvious.

It's easy to write something like this now after Torres has made a good start, but I'd don't believe even Liverpool believed he would have had this much of an impact in his first season. If I wrote articles about every decent player who didn't end up at Milan, I'd never have time to finish v2 (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

dst
post Mar 12 2008, 04:43 PM
Post #3

Primavera
Group Icon

QUOTE (m1ke @ Mar 12 2008, 05:27 PM)
It's easy to write something like this now after Torres has made a good start, but I'd don't believe even Liverpool believed he would have had this much of an impact in his first season. If I wrote articles about every decent player who didn't end up at Milan, I'd never have time to finish v2 (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

The thing is, Torres is not just a good player that Milan did not sign, he is a player we supposedly have been keeping an eye on for quite some time now. Of course it's always possible that our scouts misjudged his abilties (which can happen, I'm not blaming them) but what makes this story sad is the name that's also mentioned in the article (or should I say blog entry?) above; Ricardo Oliveira. Now I'm never going to believe that our scouting team saw more quality in Oliveira than they did in Torres. I'm 100% sure that we signed Oli because his agent is also Ronaldinho's agent... he is not a bad player I believe we overlooked other players just because of that. And to make a sad story even sadded we have not even signed Ronaldinho yet! At least then I would consider Oli's transfer a successful one even if he did not deliver with the Rossoneri jersey...

Anyway like I said, he is now a Pool player and we there's no logic in crying over that...

+Quote Post

agenth
post Mar 12 2008, 06:37 PM
Post #4

Kaka's fangirl, and proud =]

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 2,687

Well, we do need a good striker, but I'm not sure if Torres would have been a good buy for us...

On the other hand, Juve's Kaka loss is a bit more important than this (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) p

+Quote Post

omahawi
post Mar 12 2008, 06:55 PM
Post #5

Pulcini Provinciali 98

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 3,750

we signed olivera because he was the la liga leading goal scorer the season before we signed him.

i understand people say (insert name here) is a great striker, he would be great at milan. problem is we have to look at the style of play the coach employs. the thing is olivera was proven, torres was not. olivera proved to be inconsistant here (granted not given enough time to really shine plus his sisters abduction) and who could truly say how torres would have faired. in that time frame we have been 3 to CL finals winning 2 of them. so i wouldn't change the past except for this past season and the summer signings.

+Quote Post

I_Rossoneri
post Mar 13 2008, 12:30 AM
Post #6

Allievi Regionali B

Member No.: 558

QUOTE (dst @ Mar 12 2008, 03:43 PM)
The thing is, Torres is not just a good player that Milan did not sign, he is a player we supposedly have been keeping an eye on for quite some time now. Of course it's always possible that our scouts misjudged his abilties (which can happen, I'm not blaming them) but what makes this story sad is the name that's also mentioned in the article (or should I say blog entry?) above; Ricardo Oliveira. Now I'm never going to believe that our scouting team saw more quality in Oliveira than they did in Torres. I'm 100% sure that we signed Oli because his agent is also Ronaldinho's agent... he is not a bad player I believe we overlooked other players just because of that. And to make a sad story even sadded we have not even signed Ronaldinho yet! At least then I would consider Oli's transfer a successful one even if he did not deliver with the Rossoneri jersey...

Anyway like I said, he is now a Pool player and we there's no logic in crying over that...

Spot on (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Mar 13 2008, 12:40 AM
Post #7

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

What makes anyone thing he'd fit in at Milan?

I'd like to see how many of his goals were assisted by Gerrard, and Milan do not have Gerrard, so..

I suppose we can always think of what could have been, but it isn't, and never will be. So let's not dwell on it and look at another top player that we probably won't sign.

This post has been edited by kurtsimonw: Mar 13 2008, 12:41 AM

+Quote Post

Portman
post Mar 13 2008, 01:47 AM
Post #8

Berretti

Member No.: 347

Bla bla bla. Always the same.

+Quote Post

dst
post Mar 13 2008, 11:48 AM
Post #9

Primavera
Group Icon

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Mar 13 2008, 01:40 AM)
What makes anyone thing he'd fit in at Milan?

I'd like to see how many of his goals were assisted by Gerrard, and Milan do not have Gerrard, so..

I suppose we can always think of what could have been, but it isn't, and never will be. So let's not dwell on it and look at another top player that we probably won't sign.

What makes you think he would not fit in Milan?

Well Milan have Kaka... I'm not saying Torres would surely be a success with us but I can't see how him linking up perfectly well with Gerrard rules that out...

(IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ... (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post

redbabies
post Mar 13 2008, 04:32 PM
Post #10

'the Duck'

Member No.: 144

He's only one of lots of players we missed.

+Quote Post

dst
post Mar 13 2008, 06:24 PM
Post #11

Primavera
Group Icon

QUOTE (redbabies @ Mar 13 2008, 05:32 PM)
He's only one of lots of players we missed.

We can't get them all... the problem is we're no getting anyone... we only now replaced Shevchenko...

+Quote Post

redbabies
post Mar 13 2008, 06:39 PM
Post #12

'the Duck'

Member No.: 144

QUOTE (dst @ Mar 13 2008, 06:24 PM)
We can't get them all... the problem is we're no getting anyone... we only now replaced Shevchenko...

Thats what I'm saying.

When you get a great player than you dont have the chance to miss the next great player because you dont even try to sign him at first.

But we've been missing and missing... and finally Pato came, but we still need a striker because our "lovely" Gila has "impressed" everyone (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post

Bluesummers
post Mar 13 2008, 08:05 PM
Post #13

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 1,660

i would rather have pato signed than torres to be honest. Torres is brilliant but liverpool fit his style perfectly. I'm afraid he'll become like gila if he came here, start good and flop.

+Quote Post

KillerMax
post Mar 13 2008, 08:18 PM
Post #14

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 1,388

Gila didn't even start.. "good"...

+Quote Post

Bluesummers
post Mar 13 2008, 08:23 PM
Post #15

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 1,660

QUOTE (pKillerMax @ Mar 13 2008, 01:18 PM)
Gila didn't even start.. "good"...

In his first season ! (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:17 AM