+Quote Post

Milan Are Brilli...
post Feb 17 2012, 01:57 PM
Post #32

Berretti
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 90

Mike must have put some dodgy pictures up.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Feb 21 2012, 02:47 PM
Post #33

Prima Squadra

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,660

Seems a weird date indeed. In the summer so there's no Milan games and it wasn't even a Euro/WC year!

+Quote Post

acid911
post Feb 21 2012, 03:08 PM
Post #34

Berretti

Member No.: 3,736

Agreed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I'd think this place would have a hard time topping 200 users any given time, seeing how this forum rolls. Only logical reason I'd imagine this would have happened is maybe the forum got featured on a really popular website, sports site, or AC Milan blog, etc. And a lot of members signed up.

We did win the 2007 CL a few weeks earlier, so. But it's still is one big mystery! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) Unsolvable one, at that.

+Quote Post

d'Arc.LP
post Feb 21 2012, 03:14 PM
Post #35

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6,786

It doesn't have to be something special. Probably 60-70% of those members were bots.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Feb 21 2012, 03:22 PM
Post #36

Berretti

Could very well be. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) But that's one big whooper bot attack, if anything!

+Quote Post

Milan Are Brilli...
post Feb 21 2012, 04:38 PM
Post #37

Berretti
Group Icon

200? I barely see it topping 20 legitimate users.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Feb 21 2012, 04:51 PM
Post #38

Berretti

Yeah well there are guests who lurk around, I am sure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Even now there are 69 guests, 6 members, 0 anonymous members. In my opinion we should be trading links and banners with other Milan forums and blogs, as well as general Seria A and football boards if we want to bring in more members.

Then again, quite a few would like to keep it this way, a core group, but more quality members are always nice!

+Quote Post

Milan Are Brilli...
post Feb 21 2012, 04:53 PM
Post #39

Berretti
Group Icon

We used to, the older mods and Mike obviously, with SEO and the such. Though, to be honest there isn't much advertising/getting MF out there that goes on for the site these days, it just ticks along (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post

d'Arc.LP
post Feb 21 2012, 07:18 PM
Post #40

Giovanissimi Nazionali

People don't have much time for discussing boards these days. If you want lot's of visitors you should switch to portal/blog based news websites. I'm pretty sure that Mike knows what he wants with the website but if I'd suggest somthing, it would be to switch to a wordpress engine website but still leaving this forum as a place for deep discussions and analysis.
Wordpress is not a platform that requires money 'cos it's free and as a webdesigner and webdeveloper I'd be glad to help with it if he needs help. But again, it's not that he's going to read this post, so whatever.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Feb 21 2012, 07:21 PM
Post #41

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Member No.: 2,008

I like this place as it is. I hate crowded forums. Too many posts to read, and I'm not one who a great attention span.

+Quote Post

d'Arc.LP
post Feb 21 2012, 07:28 PM
Post #42

Giovanissimi Nazionali

The forum would be basically the same, but the first page would be like a portal. I'd suggested that 'cos I like this domain a lot and with proper SEO work, it could be very popular.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Feb 21 2012, 07:35 PM
Post #43

Berretti

This is how it was when it started. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) The forum was separate, and the website front-end was a CMS with the latest news, match reports and all that. Then work got started on Milanfan v2, which meant the forum took over. Let's see how it all goes, though I agree, with the $16,000 domain name, this place could be quite popular.

+Quote Post

Milan Are Brilli...
post Feb 21 2012, 10:10 PM
Post #44

Berretti
Group Icon

Yep, we had CuteNews on the front-end for news articles, WP wasn't that big back then.

WP would be the obvious choice, it's what I use for my site and does pretty much exactly what you're suggesting with user-generated articles etc.

Mike used to do a ton of SEO on here, if I remember rightly we were the first or second result for 'ac milan' on msn search (a few years back) and on the first page of Google for the term. Now, god knows, but yeah we did well back then.

Though in all honesty it doesn't matter if you have a portal or not, I can think of a ton of websites that are forum based that have massive, and I mean massive communities. It's just about getting the site out there in all honesty, that's the biggest thing.

Plus with article portals etc it would have to be your own work, which trust me from experience takes a lot of effort to keep continuously updated. There's no point having duplicate articles that can be found elsewhere, that doesn't help SEO at all.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Feb 21 2012, 10:16 PM
Post #45

Berretti

QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Feb 22 2012, 02:10 AM) *
Yep, we had CuteNews on the front-end for news articles, WP wasn't that big back then.

Ah yes, CuteNews. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Worked with that platform a few times back in the days. Now it's either Wordpress or Joomla, it's amazing really how far the smaller guys get left behind.

QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Feb 22 2012, 02:10 AM) *
Though in all honesty it doesn't matter if you have a portal or not, I can think of a ton of websites that are forum based that have massive, and I mean massive communities. It's just about getting the site out there in all honesty, that's the biggest thing.

True enough. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) While I can see why people wouldn't want a massive influx of new members, I still wouldn't mind a few good men (and women) singing up and becoming regular posters. In fact, I'd love it, love it, love it!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:31 PM