> Serie A 2019/2020 season, All Milan games in Serie A

William405
post Jan 19 2020, 08:20 PM
Post #676

Allievi Regionali B

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 7,239

QUOTE (Danny @ Jan 19 2020, 05:02 PM) *
Watched it all William, great match, our flaws and strengths exposed really brutally, we worked for the win and just about earned it but Udi will feel hard done by.

I love Theo, Leao has potential if played in the right place, Ibra was frankly rotten, Bennacer didn't really stand out, Rebic is superb.

Saw the best and worst of Gigi - some appalling misjudgement and some superb saves.

I'd say this squad actually has some small potential, but I'm not sure 4-4-1-1 or whatever the f*ck that formation is is getting the best and most consistency out of them.

I also don't think Pioli is the right man even at this transitional time - there is some real quality in this squad, but it doesn't look the sum of its parts.

Nice, good to have someone to discuss with. =)

Yes, I agree with you. But, honestly, Udinese had a great first half. No wonder they've been on a winning streak. We couldn't connect our passes in the first half but made it happen after. Theo, I love him too..this guy is a beast and will be an amazing asset for us. Leao is good, he has pace and can pass the ball quite well actually. He was the one who led to that first Rebic goal. I need to see more from him though. I don't know what exact player he will develop to be. Ibra was what I expect him to be for us. In flight mode when we don't have the ball, and trying to create something when he is in dangerous situations. Listen, I think he is doing wonders for us on the mentality aspect and has already scored a goal so I can't complain a lot. The guy is trying his best. Bennacer was good in my opinion, he did what he does normally take the ball from midfield and distribute it. We just need someone next to him that can be the playmaker..because it is certainly not Kessie. Rebic was great, I think he can be an asset for us, let's see what happens. Donnaruma.. he is been taking risks with going out to clear the ball like this for a while now..he needs to stop watching Neuer goalkeeping..but other than that he was spot on.

I disagree on Pioli and the 4-4-2. I think Pioli is doing well ...leading a stable ship and doing the basic things right. Yes, he won't take us for a scudetoo maybe but he is a good transitional coach..The 4-4-2 is not bad, but we just need to put Paqueta instead of Kessie in the whole for some creativity.

Oh, and Castellejo had his usual that begs you to ask "is he a world class player or just an amateur player" performance. I don't know how to judge this guy. He had some brilliant moves sometimes, but he certainly lacks something. He does work really hard though.

This post has been edited by William405: Jan 19 2020, 08:21 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

William405
post Jan 19 2020, 08:22 PM
Post #677

Allievi Regionali B

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 19 2020, 09:50 PM) *
Didn't watch it, but looks like it was one mess of a game. One of those could have won/could have lost games.

Glad Rebic managed to show his worth. I think on the left he can be much more dangerous than Bonaventura and Calhanoglu.

Udinese games are always like that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/innocent.gif)

+Quote Post

William405
post Jan 19 2020, 08:29 PM
Post #678

Allievi Regionali B

QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 19 2020, 09:51 PM) *
I don't see 4-4-2 being a long term solution. 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 are the only way to go imo. And I disagree about the 3-man defense system. We've tried using variations of it multiple times under different coaches with bad results

Agree about Paqueta. What a waste, especially in a position where we are seriously lacking and we marginalize one of our most naturally talented players

Yeah, an absolute beast.

Let's hope that we keep hold of him and Paolo and Boban will continue to bring in talent like him

You know, for all the criticism they've received (unwarranted imo), their signings, have all been really good. They're not flashy by any stretch of the imagination, but all have proven to be good decisions with great potential

Janku didn't really give us his best years. But in 06/07 he was great for us, it's frankly the only season I remember from him

Ibra has been a major difference maker, as I thought he would be. He's not the old Ibra for sure, the wear and tear is there for anyone to see, but he's a big player, and he's exactly the kind of persona we need in that dressing room. I really hope we can bring in another player of similar stature in the near future. Because all these young players we have really do need that type of figure to lead them.

I really wonder why we're not trying to sign Rakitic. Barca don't want him and he'd be perfect for our midfield

Sad to say that I missed it as I had to go out

I'll watch extended highlights tomorrow.

I'm glad to see Rebic on the score sheet. I was starting to wonder what the deal was with him when he couldn't get a sniff while Suso and Hakan kept stinking up the place

So Rebic had a good overall showing (goals aside)?

He's such an interesting player, and has so many characteristic that we lack on the pitch yet he was getting perma-benched for some reason.

I still think Leao is too green and clumsy to be a fully fledged starter, and he needs to be managed correctly as well. I don't want to see us destroy another young and talented player

Rebic was good..obviously with the two goals. He created some good opportunities, but I'm still not fully convinced of-course. He was just terrible in the coppa italia game mid-week. He can be useful for us, is he a long term solution? It's hard to say at this moment.

I agree with you, we really need to get Paqueta playing..to find the right position for him in this formation..could do wonders.

Rakitic..would have been an outstanding signing..such a shame.

+Quote Post

William405
post Jan 19 2020, 08:30 PM
Post #679

Allievi Regionali B

QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 19 2020, 10:07 PM) *
I get your points, but I've never really seen us do well with a 3-man back line, not to mention the other issue you mentioned re the center backs - or lack-there-of

I agree about Kessie and Bennacer in a double pivot, that's why I restate my earlier point re a 4-2-3-1

Conti--Musa-Romagnoli--Theo
Kessie--Bennacer
Suso/Samu--Paqueta--Rebic/Hakan
Ibra

I agree with X-Off here. It will be hard to imagine Ibra leading the attack alone. I do like the formation though. Piatek can do well in such a setup. But, the 4-4-2 is working at the moment. So, my question is why change it? It was clear today that Bonaventura provides nothing in that position, so Rebic entering was positive. My big gripe would be that I'd like to see a creative midfield next to Bennacer..yes not Kessie.

This post has been edited by William405: Jan 19 2020, 08:32 PM

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Jan 19 2020, 10:41 PM
Post #680

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Member No.: 2,008

The thing is, in a double pivot, you usually employ two kinds of players: someone good with the ball and someone more physical, usually a box-to-box guy whose main duty is to defend but also push forward. Think of Mourinho's 4-2-3-1 at Madrid for example. Alonso was the playmaker and Khedira was the box-to-box mid.

In our double pivot, Bennacer is clearly the "playmaker" and Kessie is that box-to-box guy. Having another playmaker would disrupt the balance, especially since we're already a bit unbalanced as it is. I'd rather keep that as it is for the time being, and try to give some more sense to the attacking part of our formation.

In my personal opinion, Castillejo is mediocre. I would never start him. He has some decent moments and he puts a lot of effort, but the guy is too limited. Bonaventura likewise. I still rate Suso and Calhanoglu more than them. And I rate Paqueta the most when it comes to our midfielders.

So, since a 3-man defense system is out of the question, I think the formation Han posted makes the most sense. With Suso and Leao/Rebic on the flanks.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Jan 20 2020, 10:44 PM
Post #681

Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,564

Man, you forget what kind of team we have. The thing you suggest is way too complicated for the selection, quality and mentality of our players. We gotta keep it simple and I think this is precisely why Pioli was appointed. This and money issues.

Suso I almost gone; I hear he requested a transfer. Good. But if we're gonna switch him with Cengiz Under this is yet another own goal. Next should be Castillejo (who obviously is Pioli's new starter and won't go away), Kessie and a few others.

I'm still not sold on Leao. His finishing is terrible. Reminding me of Robinho at times.

Rebić is good but inconsistent. Ideally he'll be rotated and switched with Bonaventura.

Can someone explain to me why Paqueta has been crossed off like he's Balotelli??

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Jan 20 2020, 11:14 PM
Post #682

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 20 2020, 10:44 PM) *
Man, you forget what kind of team we have. The thing you suggest is way too complicated for the selection, quality and mentality of our players. We gotta keep it simple and I think this is precisely why Pioli was appointed. This and money issues.

What's complicated?

Suso I almost gone; I hear he requested a transfer. Good. But if we're gonna switch him with Cengiz Under this is yet another own goal. Next should be Castillejo (who obviously is Pioli's new starter and won't go away), Kessie and a few others.

The thing is nobody is willing to cough up bucks for Suso. They want a loan. So getting Under is seen as the only alternative for the time being.

Can someone explain to me why Paqueta has been crossed off like he's Balotelli??

No one gets it. Perhaps after one year people were expecting him to have matured and adapted well to Italian football, which he hasn't yet. Or maybe Pioli doesn't appreciate his playing style. Or maybe he just doesn't fit in Pioli's tactics. I don't know, but either way it's a shame.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Jan 24 2020, 09:28 PM
Post #683

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

This is the first game I've seen properly since we've made the switch to a 4-4-2. And I absolutely stand by my opinion of this system. We look flimsy and vulnerable. We don't have the right players for the wings.

And omitting Suso has left us without any creativity. How Hakan can still start games after Rebic played how he did last Sunday is beyond me

And I still think that Leao has a long way to go still before he can be a starter

+Quote Post

han2503
post Jan 24 2020, 09:30 PM
Post #684

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Jan 20 2020, 11:14 PM) *
No one gets it. Perhaps after one year people were expecting him to have matured and adapted well to Italian football, which he hasn't yet. Or maybe Pioli doesn't appreciate his playing style. Or maybe he just doesn't fit in Pioli's tactics. I don't know, but either way it's a shame.

My issue with this is that Piolo is obviously not here for the long haul, so why sell a player who has boundless potential over a coach who's basically just a caretaker

+Quote Post

han2503
post Jan 24 2020, 09:33 PM
Post #685

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (William405 @ Jan 19 2020, 08:30 PM) *
I agree with X-Off here. It will be hard to imagine Ibra leading the attack alone. I do like the formation though. Piatek can do well in such a setup. But, the 4-4-2 is working at the moment. So, my question is why change it? It was clear today that Bonaventura provides nothing in that position, so Rebic entering was positive. My big gripe would be that I'd like to see a creative midfield next to Bennacer..yes not Kessie.

It's barely working. And that's the key word. The first difficult fixture and we're going to get blown away because this formation leaves our middle too open

And I think Ibra would get far better support play with that formation rather than what we're seeing today where the wingers haven't been able to make in-roads while our central mids are being out-numbered

+Quote Post

William405
post Jan 25 2020, 01:06 AM
Post #686

Allievi Regionali B

I couldn't watch the game, i wasn't home. Happy we won, but doesn't seem like we put in a good performance.

And, Donnaruma seemed to save us quite a few times.. The goal was well done..Nice pass from Hakan to see Ibra and good job by Rebic to get the goal..3 goals in 2 games now..maybe he should be starting games.

It's clear that we need to do better than this..but 3 pts..and confidence that's all we need now.

+Quote Post

William405
post Jan 25 2020, 01:10 AM
Post #687

Allievi Regionali B

QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 24 2020, 11:30 PM) *
My issue with this is that Piolo is obviously not here for the long haul, so why sell a player who has boundless potential over a coach who's basically just a caretaker

Honestly, this thing is completely overblown, and well if Paqueta can't handle a bit of competition then sorry to tell you that he won't make it in big teams. Look at Gigio..the kid just has the mentality of a champion. You are either born with it or not. To ask not to go to a game because you're not feeling well..oh well things don't look so bright, I don't blame Pioli. The guy is trying to find balance to the team. A bit like what Allegri was trying to do and everyone was bashing him. After you find balance and you're winning, then you can tweak and optimize. I don't see this complete obsession with defending the player with "not really boundless potential" which doesn't count for much..unless you realize it. Listen, I love Paqueta, and he added so much to the team last year when he came on. But, he has to put his head down, work hard, and he will get his place..

My 2 cents. Also, I think Pioli can be a bit more than a caretaker. He could be the good transition after getting the champions leauge in my opinion.

+Quote Post

William405
post Jan 25 2020, 01:14 AM
Post #688

Allievi Regionali B

QUOTE (han2503 @ Jan 24 2020, 11:33 PM) *
It's barely working. And that's the key word. The first difficult fixture and we're going to get blown away because this formation leaves our middle too open

And I think Ibra would get far better support play with that formation rather than what we're seeing today where the wingers haven't been able to make in-roads while our central mids are being out-numbered

Yes, of-course. But, what was working before? If you get something that is working, you stick by it. It's changing constant formations and ideas that got us in a mess in the first place. And, Pioli doesn't seem so stubborn. He is rotating the players quite well, and the Rebic sub got us the win last time. Of-course I would like to try your formation..in an idealistic world but like Filippo said it is too complicated. The team has to grasp it, and absorb the formation and this takes time. The 4-4-2..well it can only get better since we are winning and gaining confidence with it. The advantage of having Ibra and Leao, I think is quite important..two complementary players in my opinion. I just the midfield starts getting better on a technical level.

I usually agree with you on everything, but not today. XD (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

Danny
post Jan 25 2020, 02:11 AM
Post #689

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 6,730

The signing of Ibra isn't working - he looks absolutely terrible, and one goal doesn't change that.

Leao was poor tonight, made no real impact, and Brescia will be cursing an inspired Donna who was the reason for that result.

Rebic came on and again was the difference, midfield barely functioned.

I'm not into Bennacer at all, find him utterly ordinary, but defence was good - Romagnoli and Kjaer are working quite well and both FBs are doing a solid job, especially Theo.

But the fact we were outplayed by the second bottom side indicates that nothing has changed and the signing of Ibra doesn't alter that.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Jan 25 2020, 11:27 AM
Post #690

Am I the only one who thought Ibra was good? He's doing exactly what I hoped for, holding the attack by himself and providing different options. People seem to be underestimating this aspect. With Piatek we would have barely shot on target last night.

I also liked Bennacer. He takes so much initiative and is always pressing off the ball. Hakan was alright as well.

Honestly, I didn't think we were terrible last night. Yes, we suffered, but this one of those games against a relegation side at home that's fighting for survival. The stadium was full and chanting them till the very end. These are complicated games, and the fact we managed to snap 3 points is a big plus.

+Quote Post

68 Pages V  « < 44 45 46 47 48 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:30 AM