> [FR] Ligue 1

Bluesummers
post Sep 21 2010, 12:56 AM
Post #16

Allievi Nazionali

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 1,660

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Sep 20 2010, 02:38 AM) *
His French teammates thought that way too. Even if it was the pot calling the kettle black.

what (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

why would the pot call the kettle black?

This post has been edited by Bluesummers: Sep 21 2010, 12:57 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

CHU-LIP
post Sep 21 2010, 12:57 AM
Post #17

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 7,230

QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Sep 21 2010, 01:56 AM) *

because the pot is a racist

+Quote Post

Bluesummers
post Sep 21 2010, 12:58 AM
Post #18

Allievi Nazionali

why would the pot be racist?

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Sep 21 2010, 02:31 AM
Post #19

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

QUOTE (Bluesummers @ Sep 21 2010, 12:56 AM) *

It's just a saying.

I think it means calling somebody 'strange and selfish', when you are yourself.

+Quote Post

Bluesummers
post Sep 21 2010, 05:10 AM
Post #20

Allievi Nazionali

Still makes no sense. How does that refer to a pot and kettle. I understand its saying but why would there be a kettle and a pot in it lol.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Sep 21 2010, 07:56 AM
Post #21

Berretti

Member No.: 3,736

Because both the pot and the kettle turned black after being used for years in the stove. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) And then both started pointing fingers at each other, so on and so forth.

(IMG:http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp258/piecemealBHC/a812_bm1.gif)

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Sep 21 2010, 08:02 AM
Post #22

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,865

See? See how I contribute? You don't have to be a grammar 'nazi'....you can use your online OCD to help other people too.

+Quote Post

TriniKing_CE
post Sep 21 2010, 08:04 AM
Post #23

CrAzY EyeS

Member No.: 3,723

QUOTE (MizNelson @ Sep 20 2010, 04:23 AM) *
Gourcuff went to Lyon?

Yup, and I have to say that was mildly disappointing for me, as I still kept hope of him coming back to us one day.

Who knows maybe there is still yet hope one day! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif)

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Sep 21 2010, 09:42 AM
Post #24

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

Okay, let's stay focused on the french league, shall we?

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Sep 21 2010, 09:55 AM
Post #25

Group Icon

Ha. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) We only care about Gourcuff in that league. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Sep 21 2010, 09:56 AM
Post #26

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Sep 21 2010, 10:55 AM) *
Ha. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) We only care about Gourcuff in that league. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) That would be foolish enough

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Sep 21 2010, 10:54 AM
Post #27

Group Icon

If we were smart...you'd think we'd have better things to do in our time than waste lives on an internet forum.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Sep 21 2010, 11:29 AM
Post #28

Berretti

Member No.: 3,736

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Sep 21 2010, 12:02 PM) *
See? See how I contribute? You don't have to be a grammar 'nazi'....you can use your online OCD to help other people too.

Yeah, well always happy to count on my trusty pirate friend for the good cause. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) Together we shall fight, um, help other people! Yup, that's the word, help.

QUOTE (TriniKing_CE @ Sep 21 2010, 12:04 PM) *
Yup, and I have to say that was mildly disappointing for me, as I still kept hope of him coming back to us one day.
Who knows maybe there is still yet hope one day!

I'd say fuggedaboutit, Trini, no way he is coming back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Kaka has more a chance of returning than him. We've had this discussion countless times here and other places, but it seems that people would much rather prefer to see a finished article in Milan, as opposed to someone who improves and grows with the club. But that's okay, everyone has their own preferences. Heck, there are people who don't even like this guy:

(IMG:http://i52.tinypic.com/rjo0vb.jpg)

As for his French teammates, well those who did comment are actually the scum of the earth, the lowest of the low. Certainly he wasn't too keen on their idea of partying and clubbing during the World Cup of all things. A city boy among street rats, if you must. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Then again, there were his teammates who had good opinion of him, including Lloris and Toulalan, among others.

Leaving his performance aside, Gourcuff is an individualist (or loner as one of our coach put him), and truth is that he will get ostracised no matter what happens. Still I can understand some people saying he was not right for Milan, and if that's their opinion, it must be respected. To alter a saying "There are not more than 100 people in the world who truly hate Gourcuff, but there are millions who hate what they perceive to be Gourcuff". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Okay, maybe not millions, but you get the drift.

He is no way near an absolute star player, needs miles of experience and improvement, and I can only hope he realizes his potential. World football needs new icons for the next decade, and the more the merrier. I had seen enough of his games in both the French league and the CL last season to see his good side - at times it felt like he was the only one playing for his team, creating chances, scoring free kicks, dominating the midfield. He has his flaws too, and is prone to flop as conveniently put. I am sure most of you guys have read the stories, here's a quick recap (appropriately as this is the French league thread as well):

Resentment over Gourcuff treatment behind implosion

GROUP A FRANCE 1 SOUTH AFRICA 2 There is a symbolic aspect to the power struggle in the heart of the team and the ills of wider French society

YOANN GOURCUFF could be forgiven for thinking the whole world is against him. Having been ignored by many of his team-mates for the past three weeks, France’s mercurial misfit saw his unhappy World Cup come to an end even more prematurely than that of his colleagues when he was sent off for an elbow in the first half against South Africa yesterday.

Trudging down the tunnel, Bordeaux’s talented playmaker looked dejected, but he must also have felt some relief his personal trials in South Africa were over.

The rift between Gourcuff and several high-profile players, including Nicolas Anelka and Franck Ribery, was the trigger to Les Bleus’ dramatic implosion over the last few days.

Gourcuff is seemingly from a different mould to the others. Intelligent, polite and well-spoken, the 23-year-old does not fit in with what many in France are calling the “spoilt brat” generation. He enjoyed a comfortable childhood in Brittany where his father, Christian, the respected coach of Lorient, ensured he received a rounded education. Clean-cut and good-looking, he is an excellent tennis player, and counts the former Olympic swimming star turned celebrity Laure Manaudou in his social circle.

Most of France’s squad grew up in much tougher conditions in the poorest suburbs. Ribery was raised in a run-down council estate in Boulogne-sur-Mer, Eric Abidal lived in one of Lyon’s most deprived areas, while Thierry Henry, William Gallas and Anelka all spent their childhoods in so-called quartiers difficiles outside Paris.

It is no coincidence these are the players who have frozen Gourcuff out in South Africa. They resent the way the French press builds Gourcuff up as Zinedine Zidane’s successor. They envy the positive attention he receives from the media. They regard him as arrogant and pretentious because he reads books and expresses himself eloquently when analysing a game.

Raymond Domenech wanted to build his attack around the 2008/09 French Player of the Year, but several senior players objected, pressurising the coach to restore Henry or Florent Malouda to the line-up. In the opening game against Uruguay, Anelka and Ribery made their stance abundantly clear by refusing to pass to Gourcuff.

To behave in such a way at a World Cup is unforgivable and many are calling for Anelka and Ribery to be banished from the team for good.

Yet Domenech did not feel he had the authority to sanction them, and instead dropped Gourcuff for the second game against Mexico.

Anelka then went too far by firing a tirade of expletives at Domenech at half-time in that game. The decision to send the Chelsea striker home in disgrace would not have been taken lightly by the French federation. Anelka is a hugely popular figure in France’s multicultural suburbs, and his public shaming is unlikely to sit well in areas where racial tensions run high.

Less than five years ago, these suburbs were transformed into battlefields as disaffected youths, largely from immigrant backgrounds, rioted night upon night for three weeks. Nobody is suggesting France’s soccer debacle will spark similar scenes, yet there is an acutely symbolic aspect to the power struggle in the heart of the team and the apparent ills of wider society.

Indeed, French philosopher Alain Finkielkraut has been quick to link the dreadful behaviour of Les Bleus to a wider social problem. “It feels like France has been invited to look into the mirror – a terrible mirror,” he told radio station Europe 1.

“We have moved on from the Zidane generation to the scum generation. Laurent Blanc (Domenech’s successor) should ignore players like Anelka, Ribery, Evra, Gallas and Abidal, who have behaved in a shameful manner, notably with Yoann Gourcuff. They are a gang of thugs. It’s not possible to have these ethnic, religious divides in the France team.”

Finkielkraut is known for his forthright views, yet there can be little doubt cultural differences were behind France’s demise. Interestingly, Gourcuff’s closest acquaintances in the team are Hugo Lloris and Jeremy Toulalan. They are white, but this is not a colour issue. Ribery, of course, is white too, yet he identifies more with those from similar social backgrounds.

Ribery is also idolised by the North African community in France, partly because, like Anelka, he has converted to Islam. But also because he rose to the top from the most difficult of starts and remained humble despite his immense success.

The humility now seems to have gone, however, and France’s campaign appears to have further highlighted a divided nation.

Source

But as Fillipo said, let's put the focus back on Ligue 1. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/innocent.gif) So be it. As for our former French lad, let's not sell him short, and of course not hype him up as well. Call him for what he is (or was in his time here). At least he won the Champions League, LOL!

+Quote Post

CHU-LIP
post Sep 21 2010, 05:53 PM
Post #29

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 7,230

QUOTE (acid911 @ Sep 21 2010, 08:56 AM) *
Because both the pot and the kettle turned black after being used for years in the stove. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) And then both started pointing fingers at each other, so on and so forth.

(IMG:http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp258/piecemealBHC/a812_bm1.gif)

I don't see any fingers.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Sep 21 2010, 10:42 AM) *
Okay, let's stay focused on the french league, shall we?

Oh, okay. I will from now on.

*leaves thread*

+Quote Post

MizNelson
post Sep 21 2010, 06:39 PM
Post #30

Dida per sempre

Member No.: 3,563

Ribery is also idolised by the North African community in France, partly because, like Anelka, he has converted to Islam. But also because he rose to the top from the most difficult of starts and remained humble despite his immense success.

Did that include bonking an underage prostitute right before the World Cup, despite the fact that he's married? Not exactly my definition of humble.

+Quote Post

30 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:17 PM