4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who should partner Nesta in defence during 08/09?, 04/08/08 to 11/08/08

Who should partner Nesta in defence during 08/09?
Who should partner Nesta in defence during 08/09?
Bonera [ 10 ] ** [23.81%]
Kaladze [ 6 ] ** [14.29%]
Maldini [ 21 ] ** [50.00%]
Simic [ 1 ] ** [2.38%]
Other [ 4 ] ** [9.52%]
Total Votes: 42
Guests cannot vote 

m1ke
post Aug 5 2008, 06:09 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

There seems to be a general consensus amongst Rossoneri faithful at the moment that whilst Milan have done well in this summers transfer market, we're still unsure if our defence is up to the task.

I was looking through our 07/08 results the other day, and noticed that during our last 16 games, we only kept 1 clean sheet (March 22nd, away to Torino - 0:1). I know we're keen to forget the 07/08 season for obvious reasons, but these kind of facts don't lie - that's simply not good enough for a club who've had the likes of Baresi, Costacurta, both Maldini's, Tassoti (etc etc etc) on their books in recent times. I don't usually put too much emphasis on preseason games, but the recent loss to Chelsea has only compounded these problems.

Is it just a case of Carlo not picking the right pairing? I think most of us our in agreement that Nesta should start when fit (if you don't agree, please let us know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) - but who should partner him? Is Carlo showing too much faith in Kaladze? Should we be giving youth a chance, and playing the likes of Darmian? Have we got enough talent on our books, or do we need to make further moves in the market to bring in re-enforcements? (if so, who?)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Aug 5 2008, 06:13 PM
Post #2

Smoking Bianco

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 191

The only pairing that seems right to me is Nesta & Maldini ...

Even if Milan brought in Puyol, Cannavaro and Sergio Ramos ... I would still be biased.

+Quote Post

Tennie
post Aug 5 2008, 06:14 PM
Post #3

Token Girl
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,800

Gosh. I was at the clean sheet game! I should claim a cookie for being good luck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/96.gif)

As to the question, I voted Maldini. There are those who argue that at 40 he's too slow to keep up with younger faster players -- yet he was perfectly capable of doing so at the Emirates last spring. No, he's not the marauding leftback any more but for big games there's nobody else in the squad I'd rather see playing with Nesta at the heart of the defense.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Aug 5 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #4

Berretti

Member No.: 3,736

Maldini. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif) Both Ten and R7 have explained it better than I ever could.

Good thing dst is on some sorts of a vacation, or he'd have said: What kind of a stupid question is this! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post

Tennie
post Aug 5 2008, 08:06 PM
Post #5

Token Girl
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,800

Just wait for him to come back. After he's done doing Bad Things to Cap'n Jack, I'm sure he'll have some insight to offer on this thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

acid911
post Aug 5 2008, 08:20 PM
Post #6

Berretti

(IMG:http://i38.tinypic.com/2196lub.gif)

I'm not sure they'll come back, Tennie. It's a duel to the finish. Knowing them both, I'd be surprised if either one survives. They were great members, of this esteemed community, but alas they'll be missed. Amen.

+Quote Post

Locke Lamora
post Aug 5 2008, 08:37 PM
Post #7

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 3,499

Maldini for sure.
Nesta and Maldini work wonders together, Kaladze is a catastrophe and neither Bonera or Simic are up to it.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Aug 5 2008, 08:40 PM
Post #8

Berretti

QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Aug 6 2008, 12:37 AM) *
Maldini for sure.
Nesta and Maldini work wonders together, Kaladze is a kaladzestrophe and neither Bonera or Simic are up to it.

Corrected. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

misha
post Aug 5 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #9

Allievi Regionali B

Member No.: 787

1. Of course Paolo when fit
2. Bonera
3. Kaladze (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

That said, we need another wc option and release Simic (for his sake).

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post Aug 6 2008, 09:25 AM
Post #10

Primavera

Member No.: 1,265

Since we're not going to buy a truly world class CB, it's Maldini for me too. I've always preferred Maldini in the center rather than in the left (in recent years of course).

After Maldini comes Kaladze (he's mediocre against small teams but [hope I don't get killed for saying this] solid in big matches when he's paired up with Nesta). then Bonera.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Aug 6 2008, 09:44 AM
Post #11

Berretti

QUOTE (zdrossoneri @ Aug 6 2008, 01:25 PM) *
hope I don't get killed for saying this

People have gotten away with saying much more here, so I don't really think your life is in any danger for the foreseeable future. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Aug 6 2008, 07:05 PM
Post #12

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

I voted for Bonera. On the basis that Paolo just can't handle playing too many games and that he usually gets picked in the bigger games and.. doesn't do his reputation justice, especially against quicker teams. Kaladze just isn't good enough. Bonera - given the chance - will be fine in my opinion.

+Quote Post

whoarethepatriot...
post Aug 7 2008, 04:33 AM
Post #13

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 782

Ideally it would be Maldini, but realistically he will only play half a season. Despite his stupid errors at times, Kaladze almost always peforms in big games (Bonera hasnt had much of a chance though 45 mins against Man Utd aside and a Juve match)

For me Kaladze slightly edges out Bonera due to big game experience

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Aug 7 2008, 08:32 AM
Post #14

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,865

Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti talked about the team's injury problems and the goalkeepers situation.

Carlo Ancelotti talked about Milan's injury crisis, admitting the team have serious problems in defence. The Rossoneri's coach held a meeting with manager Adriano Galliani yesterday after the team's disastrous 5-0 defeat to Chelsea.

"Right now we have quite a few problems in defence, so we can't think about the attack yet," said Ancelotti. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

At the moment Milan are missing Kaká, Marco Borriello, Filippo Inzaghi, and Alexandre Pato and Ronaldinho, who are both involved in the Olympics.

"Even though Paolo Maldini is 40 years old now and he's coming off a long-term injury, he's still reliable. Also Daniele Bonera is a guarantee," the coach continued.

Zeljko Kalac's mistakes against Chelsea probably puts Christian Abbiati in pole position, but Dida will get a chance in Saturday's friendly against Manchester City.

"We have three first choice goalkeepers. During this period we are looking at them and so far Abbiati has certainly done better than Kalac. Now we'll see how Dida performs," Ancelotti concluded.

Looking at the statements, (goal.com, but this is a news report without any conjectures so..) I would guess the following:

* Defence is certainly identified as a trouble area, and we're not sticking our heads in the sand
* Kaladze is no longer considered a 'guarantee'. Bonera and Maldini are. So is it actually going to be Maldini-Bonera-Kaladze? Just like misha and kurt wanted?
* Abbiati is indeed number 1 for now, unless Dida does something interesting against Manchester City. Reckon, we might defend shabbily to give Dida a work out? Oh wait..we don't need to 'defend shabbily'...we just need to defend, the shabby part takes care of itself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Christian Panucci's agent revealed that his client has peaked the interest of AC Milan...

Milan have had somewhat of an injury crisis during this pre-season period and may yet be forced back into the transfer market due to certain gaps remaining in the squad.

One of the positions that seems most unstable at the moment is that of the centre back role. The club is sorely missing the qualities of injury prone Alessandro Nesta and suffering to a certain degree from the lack of a true centre back, with full backs often having to deputise in the heart of defence.

This has lead to speculation that the Rossoneri may be scouting the market for a defender that can potentially fill this role. The names of Thiago Silva and Christian Panucci have done the media rounds. Now, Panucci's agent has revealed that Milan have made their interest known.

The Roma player is not naturally a centre back as he plays right-back for the Giallorossi. During Euro 2008, though, he impressed in a solid central partnership with Giorgio Chiellini.

However, this particular transfer target may be too far out of reach for Il Diavolo. Milan could be forced to look elsewhere, with the agent revealing that Panucci is keen on finishing his career in Rome.

Would have been a good choice to partner Nesta. He doesn't seem to need a lot of time to pick up vibes with a defensive partner. He did it well with Chiellini. But would Roma want to sell? He does have a history with us before he left with Madrid...so might be an option. In any case, a quick fix is what we need for the next season.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Aug 7 2008, 12:46 PM
Post #15

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

Even though would prefer Maldini, realistically we all know that he won't be able to form a consistant partnership with Nesta. So I chose Bonera. Maldini would obviously be first choice but between injuries and problems with playing a large ammount of matches in a short period of time I thought about who would play instead and since the options are either Kala and Bonera I would obviously go with Bonera.

Kaladze should have been off loaded to Chelsea when they offered Milan a good deal for him, with that said he should be 3rd choice but we all know that won't happen

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:21 AM