> Serie A - Week 20 - Torino - Milan, Date: 16/01/2016 Time: 20:45 CET

han2503
post Jan 15 2017, 09:42 PM
Post #1

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,109

Hugely important fixture. Every one of our direct opponents won today so dropped points here will put us in a really bad spot
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Danny
post Jan 15 2017, 11:46 PM
Post #2

Allievi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6,730

Our advantage is two games in hand over all of them. But yes, if we don't win this one I'd probably say goodbye to European football already.

I'm worried about us teetering on the edge of a huge form dip.

+Quote Post

Forza Milan!
post Jan 16 2017, 03:29 AM
Post #3

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 12,353

QUOTE (Danny @ Jan 16 2017, 12:46 AM) *
Our advantage is two games in hand over all of them. But yes, if we don't win this one I'd probably say goodbye to European football already.

I'm worried about us teetering on the edge of a huge form dip.

Not sure about that. If anything, I have seen improvements in key players, like Bertolacci (whom I had written off) actually performing quite well, Locatelli getting better and better, and so on. In fact, in what little market we have, mids or central defenders are no longer a priority AFAIAC. Not sure if we can credit Montella for players stepping up. However, he has been able to instill a team spirit that had been missing for quite some time, and the players seem much more willing to fight back when we are down or in trouble.

Now, I grant you that the team remains inherently weak, and all it takes is a bad day and/or some bad luck and we will drop points. So EL is going to be challenging, and CL rather unlikely. But I don't see a reason to be pessimistic at this stage, at least not yet.

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Jan 16 2017, 06:17 AM
Post #4

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,865

I think what's happened from a mentality perspective is that players are feeling a sense of accountability. They no longer look at individuals to save them - everyone is putting in a shift. In effect, Montella has sold a project.

Bear with my controversial opinion for a moment - I wonder if this new Italian-ness of the team is unifying us a lot. And if so, will Mirabelli and co. completely derail it. None of the names they're talking of are Italian and I'm a bit concerned.

I agree with F.Milan that midfielders are not a priority. We have Bertolacci, Locatelli, Kucka, Mati, Sosa, Jack - all for three spots in the midfield.

It's on the wings we're thin - Montella has no faith in Honda and Jack is seriously overworked.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Jan 16 2017, 09:41 AM
Post #5

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

Are any wingers in sight?

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Jan 16 2017, 10:51 AM
Post #6

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,865

Deulofeu is the only name linked especially now that Juventus have landed Orsolini, someone who we were very interested in.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Jan 16 2017, 11:53 AM
Post #7

Primavera
Group Icon

I hear Mirabelli has contacts with Insigne.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Jan 16 2017, 01:35 PM
Post #8

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 16 2017, 09:41 AM) *
Are any wingers in sight?

Depay has been linked. Still is.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Jan 16 2017, 01:38 PM
Post #9

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jan 16 2017, 06:17 AM) *
I think what's happened from a mentality perspective is that players are feeling a sense of accountability. They no longer look at individuals to save them - everyone is putting in a shift. In effect, Montella has sold a project.

Bear with my controversial opinion for a moment - I wonder if this new Italian-ness of the team is unifying us a lot. And if so, will Mirabelli and co. completely derail it. None of the names they're talking of are Italian and I'm a bit concerned.

I agree with F.Milan that midfielders are not a priority. We have Bertolacci, Locatelli, Kucka, Mati, Sosa, Jack - all for three spots in the midfield.

It's on the wings we're thin - Montella has no faith in Honda and Jack is seriously overworked.

Midfield isn't a priority? You've named 6 players, only one of whom is convincingly good enough (Jack). Locatelli has struggled for me in the past couple of months (I do rate him though), Berto is mediocre, Kucka seems injured on and off and patchy with form, Mati is tripe, Sosa is rumoured to be on his way out already! Indeed the only one player you didn't mention who seems kind of OK is Pasalic.

It's an area where we're well stocked, yes, but with squad quality players. On no level are those options good enough for Europe.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Jan 16 2017, 01:40 PM
Post #10

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (Forza Milan! @ Jan 16 2017, 03:29 AM) *
Not sure about that. If anything, I have seen improvements in key players, like Bertolacci (whom I had written off) actually performing quite well, Locatelli getting better and better, and so on. In fact, in what little market we have, mids or central defenders are no longer a priority AFAIAC. Not sure if we can credit Montella for players stepping up. However, he has been able to instill a team spirit that had been missing for quite some time, and the players seem much more willing to fight back when we are down or in trouble.

Now, I grant you that the team remains inherently weak, and all it takes is a bad day and/or some bad luck and we will drop points. So EL is going to be challenging, and CL rather unlikely. But I don't see a reason to be pessimistic at this stage, at least not yet.

It's not the team that's inherently weak, it's the depth. There's no scope for Montella to try something else when his tactics don't work. He doesn't have the options. We're running on fumes - the break didn't help that much. And you'll need to name more than two (neither of whom I currently agree with)- feel free to elaborate on the 'so on' bit ;)

Defence is still a priority. One injury to either Paletta or Romag and we're f*cked.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Jan 16 2017, 01:55 PM
Post #11

Primavera
Group Icon

QUOTE (Danny @ Jan 16 2017, 03:40 PM) *
Defence is still a priority. One injury to either Paletta or Romag and we're f*cked.

By that logic were thin in almost every department. One injury to Donna and we have Storari; an injury for Jack or Suso and we have Honda, Sosa or whoever.

I think we have to take the risk when it comes to our defense. You're right, Zapata and Gomez are not starting material, but there's no time for finding the right 3rd defensive ingredient in January. We should concentrate on the creative department - a winger or a midfielder IMO.

+Quote Post

Forza Milan!
post Jan 16 2017, 05:08 PM
Post #12

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 12,353

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Jan 16 2017, 02:55 PM) *
By that logic were thin in almost every department. One injury to Donna and we have Storari; an injury for Jack or Suso and we have Honda, Sosa or whoever.

I think we have to take the risk when it comes to our defense. You're right, Zapata and Gomez are not starting material, but there's no time for finding the right 3rd defensive ingredient in January. We should concentrate on the creative department - a winger or a midfielder IMO.

Indeed. Reality is that in what's left of the transfer season we will get at best one player, and not a superstar either (and that's if we are lucky, we may get nothing). With that in mind, a winger is the priority right now IMHO. Yes, we are "thin" all over, I get that, but we are not gonna be able to fix it, at least not until the Summer.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Jan 16 2017, 09:14 PM
Post #13

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

We're falling apart!! FFS wtf are they doing??

+Quote Post

Nova
post Jan 16 2017, 09:15 PM
Post #14

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 34

Back To reality.

+Quote Post

maldini03
post Jan 16 2017, 09:18 PM
Post #15

Esordienti A 95

Member No.: 2,029

Pasalic on that first one was in an awful position keeping Belotti on and guarding nothing. The second one was just a mess. This Torino team is definitely tough. but there are cracks in their defense which we are not exploiting. Bacca is the better finisher between he and Lapa but he is awful with buildup. The guy can't hold up the ball or make good passes.

Thats a bad penalty call....... but the ball doesn't lie.

This post has been edited by maldini03: Jan 16 2017, 09:18 PM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:52 AM