Reply to this topicStart new topic
> General Football Talk, For random debates and articles

kurtsimonw
post Sep 16 2009, 10:22 AM
Post #1

Prima Squadra

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,660

There's been a few things coming out of UEFA lately, like the spending caps, 6+5 rule, etc and I didn't kno where to put them without going OT in another thread in Football Discussion. Lock if you don't feel it'll be used enough.

Anyways, something else from UEFA.

Uefa gives green light for Platini's spending restrictions on clubs

The plan devised by Uefa's president, Michel Platini, to make clubs live within their means was approved by an executive committee meeting of European football's governing body today.

Dubbed "financial fair play", the new rules will in principle ban clubs from spending more than they make from their revenues, and aim to curtail the trend of rich owners buying into the game and transforming the fortunes of a club.

"We don't want to kill or hurt the clubs, on the contrary we want to help them in the market," Platini told reporters, adding he had the support of the clubs. "The teams who play in our tournaments have unanimously agreed to our principles," he claimed.

Platini said the new rules would be implemented in the 2012-13 season and clubs who failed to abide by them could ultimately be thrown out of European competition. The new rules would not cover domestic competitions, but only clubs who were competing in the Champions League or Europa League.

In my opinion, this will single handedly destroy the competition in football, it's sickening to read, at least when applied to the EPL anyway.

The way I see it is this. Being in the top 4 gives you so much more money, this is what helps turn a team into a super power, consistant CL qualification. Who are the biggest threats to the CL teams? Using comon sense that would be the teams in 5th and 6th, the places just outside the CL positions. With this new proposal, it pretty much guarentees that the teams in 5th and 6th have no chance of breaking the top 4. The new proposal wants teams in Europe to be capped, with the restriction in spending being based on their income. So the teams that had the best chance of breaking the top 4 are now being restricted in what they can spend, not only this, but they will be able to spend LESS than the teams in the CL as it's based on income! So this will make the gap between 4th and 5th even bigger. Generally, teams outside of Europe are 1. so far away from 4th place that they aren't a worry to the CL teams and 2. don't have the spending power to bridge the gap. It seems that finishing in a Europa League places makes you the most disadvantaged team in the league, you hardly get any revenue from the competition and then you are restricted by how much you can spend.

Thank God for Man City right now, otherwise there would be no hope of anyone breaking the top 4 in this country. Ridiculous, poorly thought out idea from Platini and the money greedy UEFA.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Sep 16 2009, 01:04 PM
Post #2

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,865

Are you sure this report of your has included everything in it?

For instance, I'm guessing the amount they would be allowed to spend:

Transfer fund = Total Income - Obligations (like debt payments, wages etc.)

I think this would ensure a fairly level field.

But you're right. Billionaires could technically invest x amount of money even then, since it needn't be considered a loan.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Sep 16 2009, 01:52 PM
Post #3

Prima Squadra

I think the plan would be fair had it been something more strict, but when you're using income it goes some teams such a big advantage over others. I think teams need to be given an eact limit on how much they can spend for that year. Something like:

CL Teams: £25m net
EL Teams: £40m net
The rest: £50m net

I'd wish for something like this, but UEFA don't have the balls to oppose Europes biggest clubs.

I also think in regard to the HG quota that will be introduced next season, they need to have requirements for the 11 onfield players, rather than just squad requirements.

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Sep 16 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #4

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,865

I agree. 8 HG in a squad of 25 is pathetic. At least half that number ought to be HG. What's the point in it being a football club, if it isn't the least bit local.

+Quote Post

Tennie
post Sep 16 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #5

Token Girl
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,800

$$$

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Sep 16 2009, 07:15 PM
Post #6

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Sep 16 2009, 06:33 PM) *
I agree. 8 HG in a squad of 25 is pathetic. At least half that number ought to be HG. What's the point in it being a football club, if it isn't the least bit local.

I completely agree.

Obviously everybody feels there club does things the right way, but I really feel Villa do. We have 24 HG players according to the new rules, we have 5 or 6 in the current squad that were born in Birmingham or it's surrounding areas. We have arguably got the best academy in the country, certainly in the top 3 as we regularly do well and we regularly bring players through to the first team. We have also spent more money on English players than any other club since MON took over and have produced more England internationals than any other club in the country.

We're an English club from Birmingham and I want our squad to show that. It gives the club an identity and the fan/player interaction takes a boost as a result. We love the players and they love us. Despite only 1 being born in Birmingham, the way the lads celebrated on Sunday you'd have thought al XI were Birmingham born and bred, its fantastic.

It might mean nothing to some people and it means nothing in terms of success. But it's certainly something I'm proud of.

+Quote Post

Tennie
post Sep 16 2009, 07:24 PM
Post #7

Token Girl
Group Icon

You SHOULD be proud of it, Kurt.

Villa are a good club built in what I think of as the right way (emphasis on local, attention to the academy, etc). You have a sane owner who doesn't mind some (but never insane crazy money) spending and who, unlike some other owners, has NO DEBT on the books. You've got a coach who's good and who's wildly entertaining to watch on the sidelines.

I think most everyone knows I don't particularly like a lot to do with the sport in England, but I do definitely appreciate and admire Villa (and it's NOT just because of the flashing antlers).

+Quote Post

Danny
post Sep 17 2009, 01:54 PM
Post #8

Allievi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6,730

Platini has some good ideas, but many misguided ones. He's a very left wing PC-minded liberal whose ideas are wishy washy hippy-esque equality nonsense.

You'll never have parity in football - if you did, the standard would dip dramatically. Yeah, it might be more competitive, but it's hardly entertaining to watch Bognor Juniors V Averstein Rovers - they are equal though...

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Sep 17 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #9

Prima Squadra

I agree with every word of that.

+Quote Post

Bluesummers
post Sep 20 2009, 10:31 AM
Post #10

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 1,660

UEFA president Michel Platini has warned big-spending clubs like Real Madrid and Manchester City that lavish spending policies will be ousted by 2012.

"From 2012, clubs will spend what they earn," Platini told La Gazzetta Dello Sport.

"I want to help clubs, not kill them. I think €93 million is excessive for a player. Will there be opposition? Maybe from liberal presidents who want to continue their business."

The Frenchman has also ruled out using video technology on the pitch to help match officials with uncertain decisions.

"You might as well be playing on the PlayStation," exclaimed the former Juventus man.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Sep 20 2009, 03:36 PM
Post #11

Prima Squadra

Platini is so naive. Like I said before, Man Citys owners will just sponsor Man City for *enter however much they want to spend on transfers* and it will be considered income. It'll basically help City more as their rivals won't be able to spend as much as they do now.

Idiot.

+Quote Post

dst
post Sep 20 2009, 04:05 PM
Post #12

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 911

He must have looked into that. We should check the whole thing.

+Quote Post

LaPalma
post Sep 20 2009, 04:45 PM
Post #13

Insert cool title here<--
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,792

The guys at UEFA can't be that stupid. Even a smart 10 yo could come up with that solution. I'm sure they think of some arrangements to prevent this.

+Quote Post

Bluesummers
post Sep 20 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #14

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 1,660

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Sep 20 2009, 08:36 AM) *
Platini is so naive. Like I said before, Man Citys owners will just sponsor Man City for *enter however much they want to spend on transfers* and it will be considered income. It'll basically help City more as their rivals won't be able to spend as much as they do now.

Idiot.

obviously they will audit and keep a close eyes on club. They probably will want a statement proving how much they earn and where the money comes from etc and i'm sure they will rule out such donations that the owners could provide.

However, I wonder whats going to happen to clubs with big debt? Do they get penalised and have to pay it off first before spending or what?

+Quote Post

Tennie
post Sep 20 2009, 08:24 PM
Post #15

Token Girl
Group Icon

I think I've read that it depends on the kind of debt they have. Capital debt (ie, owing money to the banks because they're building new stadiums) won't count. Debt for buying expensive players (like the 100+ million Real owe to Spanish banks) will.

+Quote Post

60 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:53 PM