Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 04/3/08 - CL - Ac Milan Vs. Arsenal

m1ke
post Mar 3 2008, 10:27 AM
Post #46

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

The reigning champions will not be unhappy if the tie provides an exact replica of their encounter at this stage 12 months ago when Milan earned a 0-0 draw on British soil in the first game, away to Celtic FC, before edging through in the return courtesy of Kaká's extra-time goal.

That secured Carlo Ancelotti's team a fifth successive quarter-final berth in the competition and they will be reasonably confident of making it six in a stadium where they have never been beaten by visitors from England. In eleven competitive contests Milan have won seven and drawn four with that sequence including a 2-0 win against Arsenal in the 1994 UEFA Super Cup, lifting the trophy by the same aggregate score.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post Mar 3 2008, 11:20 AM
Post #47

Primavera

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (m1ke @ Mar 3 2008, 12:50 PM)
The bookies have made us strong favourites for this game, but I'm not so sure. I know we can beat Arsenal, but our current form isn't showing that and we'll need to match the performance against Utd last season to progress.

Unfortunately that is true... we might go through, but I'm somehow sure it will not be as convincing as last year against Manchester Utd. I think it's gonna be either a slight victory for us or penalty kicks in the end.

This post has been edited by zdrossoneri: Mar 3 2008, 11:21 AM

+Quote Post

Tennie
post Mar 3 2008, 03:27 PM
Post #48

Token Girl
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,800

Controcampo is saying that Seedorf's condition has improved enough for him to possibly be available tomorrow, but that he'll start on the bench. Here's their projected lineup:

Kalac
Oddo Nesta Kaladze Maldini
Gattuso Pirlo Ambrosini
Kaka
Inzaghi Pato

They're also saying that the game is sold out. I hope there's a good coreo tomorrow, and a very loud San Siro. (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/devilsmiley.gif) (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/devilsmiley.gif) (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/devilsmiley.gif)

(link)

Acmilan.com's breaking news in italian tossed up an interesting tidbit: Arsenal are flying into Milan late this afternoon and will go straight to the hotel. They will NOT do any training/practice at the San Siro before the game. This...surprises me a bit.

+Quote Post

Tennie
post Mar 3 2008, 03:33 PM
Post #49

Token Girl
Group Icon

Arsène Wenger has named the following 18-man squad for the UEFA Champions League clash with AC Milan.

The most notable absentee is Kolo Toure but Robin van Persie returns to the squad.

Jens LEHMANN (GK)
Abou DIABY
Bacary SAGNA
Cesc FABREGAS
Philippe SENDEROS
William GALLAS
Robin VAN PERSIE
Alexander HLEB
DENILSON
Mathieu FLAMINI
GILBERTO
Gael CLICHY
Manuel ALMUNIA (GK)
Emmanuel ADEBAYOR
Nicklas BENDTNER
Emmanuel EBOUE
Justin HOYTE
Theo WALCOTT

link

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post Mar 3 2008, 03:55 PM
Post #50

Primavera

QUOTE (Tennie @ Mar 3 2008, 05:57 PM)
Acmilan.com's breaking news in italian tossed up an interesting tidbit: Arsenal are flying into Milan late this afternoon and will go straight to the hotel. They will NOT do any training/practice at the San Siro before the game. This...surprises me a bit.

It surprises me a lot!

+Quote Post

Tennie
post Mar 3 2008, 04:08 PM
Post #51

Token Girl
Group Icon

QUOTE (Tennie @ Mar 3 2008, 10:27 AM)

I went back and took a look at the newsbit again and need to qualify the above just a touch. They won't do any training TODAY at the San Siro. The article doesn't say a word about what they'll do tomorrow.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Mar 3 2008, 04:11 PM
Post #52

Berretti

Member No.: 3,736

QUOTE (Tennie @ Mar 3 2008, 07:27 PM)

Charming. I myself am a tad surprised. Wegner is a very wise man, he's not doing this without a reason. This could be a good strategy, or turn out to be a very bad one. The last thing the Arsenal players want is to be in awe of the San Siro at the time of the game. (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/alien.gif)

+Quote Post

Locke Lamora
post Mar 3 2008, 05:31 PM
Post #53

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 3,499

Here's some info from Arsenal.com:

Pace and patience will be the key qualities for Arsenal in Milan, according to Arsène Wenger.

The Frenchman flew out to Italy on Monday afternoon for a crucial Champions League Knockout Round second leg. The first game was billed as Italian guile and experience against English youth and pace.

The Anglo-Saxons had the edge at Emirates Stadium and should have profited from their second-half dominance. However Wenger feels that 0-0 is psychologically a good position for his side - as long as they heed the lessons of the first game.

"I do not like to go away from home thinking my team just has to defend," he said. "With a 0-0 result, we know that we have to attack as well as defend.

"From the first game, we have the belief we can beat them because we dominated the game - that always has an impact on the second game.

"We will need patience against them in Milan but our pace can be a good asset as well."

However the Rossoneri are the masters of brinkmanship in Europe. In the last five years they have been to three Finals, winning the trophy twice. Wenger expects a tactical affair in which the control of the tempo will mean control of the game.

"Milan have shown in Europe that they can deal with all sorts of opposition, they can slow the game down," said the Frenchman.

"What Milan do well is put you to their pace, and when Kaka gets the ball they can have sudden acceleration which can kill you.

"We will have to adapt to that because we like to play always at a high pace. In the end we should have won the first game because we were able to keep the game at a consistent high pace. We like to play at a consistent high pace, they like to play slow-quick.

"We have to be tight defensively out there because they tore Man United apart in the first 20 minutes of the second leg at the San Siro last season.

"It is important for us to start strongly in defence, but also not to hide every time we win the ball.

"What is good from the first result is we know every time we get the ball we are incited to go for a goal. When you win 2-0 away from home sometimes subconsciously you think you only have to defend. On that basis 0-0 is not a bad result because you know defence is not good enough. You know will have to attack as well."

+Quote Post

Locke Lamora
post Mar 3 2008, 05:33 PM
Post #54

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 3,499

Arsène Wenger will not send his side out to kick Kaka on Tuesday night. The Arsenal manager considers the Brazilian playmaker to be one of football's artists.

Wenger takes his side to Milan on Monday for a crucial Champions League Knockout Round second leg. The tie is locked at 0-0 and so goals will be at a premium. Kaka has all the attributes to unlock the Arsenal defence but Wenger, who has recently been critical of over-zealous tackles against his players, would never send out his side with malice a forethought.

"No chance, no chance," he said before the weekend game with Villa. "If you kick the great players out of games then why should people watch football? Great players make football a bit special - an art. If you kick them it is not acceptable.

"In Italy, what do the teams when they play against Milan? Take Kaka, get him out of the game. And you know how they will deal with that.

"But we will be faithful to what we do, we will try to deal with him by cutting the connections to him. We will play zonal and will not mark him man-to-man."

+Quote Post

Tennie
post Mar 3 2008, 06:06 PM
Post #55

Token Girl
Group Icon

from acmilan.com (link)

Call ups:

PORTIERI: Kalac, Fiori, Offredi
DIFENSORI: Bonera, Favalli, Kaladze, Maldini, Nesta, Oddo, Simic
CENTROCAMPISTI: Ambrosini, Gattuso, Emerson, Gourcuff, Pirlo, Seedorf
ATTACCANTI: Gilardino, Inzaghi, Paloschi, Pato, Kakà.

Seedorf had individual training, so even though he's called up I don't think he'll start.

This week Kaka is a striker. Yay for Paloschi being named to the squad!

+Quote Post

dst
post Mar 3 2008, 06:21 PM
Post #56

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 911

I hope to see Maldini in the center. Kaladze or Bonera at the flank.

+Quote Post

Darunia
post Mar 3 2008, 06:44 PM
Post #57

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 2,240

You know Maldini will start at LB like he did last time. It's too bad, Kaladze would work better there. Maybe Carlo will get some sense?

+Quote Post

Darunia
post Mar 3 2008, 06:47 PM
Post #58

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 2,240

Wish they would translate the press conference, some help Tennie? (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) EDIT: Nvm it's up there finally

Plus what do you guys think Arsenal will start with?

4-4-2 or 4-5-1.

Almunia
Sagna Gallas Senderos Clichy
Eboue Fabregas Flamini Hleb
Walcott Adebayor

or

Almunia
Gilberto
Walcott Fabregas Flamini Hleb
Adebayor

This post has been edited by Darunia: Mar 3 2008, 07:31 PM

+Quote Post

mkenya
post Mar 3 2008, 07:27 PM
Post #59

Pulcini 97

Member No.: 2,324

4-4-2 or 4-5-1.

I dont care how they start, I just want to see a hungry Milan devour the young gunners!!! so that Wenger never dares to say again "i think we can win there, we dominated at home":devil: (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/devilsmiley.gif)
FORZA MILAN!

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post Mar 3 2008, 08:06 PM
Post #60

Primavera

QUOTE (Darunia @ Mar 3 2008, 09:17 PM)

4-4-2 or 4-5-1.

Almunia
Eboue Fabregas Flamini Hleb
Walcott Adebayor

or

Almunia
Gilberto
Walcott Fabregas Flamini Hleb
Adebayor

I think 4-5-1 would make more sense. they just can't come to San Siro and mindlessly attack. I hope they do, but they probably won't.

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:33 PM