> Former Coaches

Tennie
post Apr 1 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #1

Token Girl
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,800

We didn't have a thread for former coaches, so here's one. And with a reason: today, two of them have birthdays.

AUGURI AD ARRIGO SACCHI E ALBERTO ZACCHERONI!
01/04/2009
MILANO - Giornata di festa anche per due grandi tecnici rossoneri: Arrigo Sacchi e Alberto Zaccheroni. I due allenatori scudettati del Milan festeggiano oggi il loro compleanno. Tanti auguri da parte di tutto l' A.C. Milan e da tutti i tifosi rossoneri.

Happy birthday to Arrigo Sacchi and Alberto Zaccheroni! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/96.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/96.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/96.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)

Zed.D
post Apr 1 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #2

Primavera

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 1,265

Lots of birthdays today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Happy birthday to Arrigo and Zaccheroni

This post has been edited by Zed.D: Apr 1 2009, 12:39 PM

+Quote Post

Ry4n
post Apr 1 2009, 03:22 PM
Post #3

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 932

Happy birthday !!!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Jun 5 2009, 10:52 AM
Post #4

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,865

Sam Wallace: Ancelotti goes by the book in standing up for stricken Rossoneri team-mate

Talking Football: He has made life a touch uncomfortable for Abramovich but you have to admire Ancelotti's nerve

It would have been very simple for Carlo Ancelotti to give last Tuesday's press conference a miss. Easy for him to cite any one of a number of spurious reasons for not attending the launch of his autobiography. Or even not to cite a reason at all. That is the prerogative many famous footballers and managers claim.

Instead, with his future unresolved because his wretched Milan team had lost at home to Roma the previous weekend and were therefore still not assured of a Champions League place, Ancelotti turned up in Rome. He turned up knowing that his book included more than a few indiscreet revelations about Roman Abramovich and that he would be interrogated over his move to Chelsea.

The release of the book had been timed to come one day after what he had hoped would be the announcement of his appointment at Chelsea. But football being such a reluctant adherent to anyone's agenda, results left Ancelotti stranded until yesterday when Milan's season was finally resolved and he could at last quit for Chelsea.

Doubtless, last Tuesday Ancelotti's heart fell a little further when he walked in and saw a group of English journalists in the front row – your correspondent among them – who were scribbling down a translation of his Abramovich revelations with growing incredulity. It detailed his secret meetings in Geneva and Paris and Abramovich's own damning verdict in the summer of 2008 that the Chelsea team had "no personality".

Still, Ancelotti sat down, and amused the assembled Italian journalists by reading a passage from his book, first putting on a pair of a spectacles that made him look like a well-tailored Rome businessman perusing the lunch menu in Trastevere. He went through all this, including a few uncomfortable questions on Abramovich for one reason above all.

Ancelotti's book was written to raise money for a charitable foundation set up in the name of his former team-mate and former Italy international Stefano Borgonovo. In fact, as his ghostwriter Alessandro Alciato pointed out at the press conference, these were the only circumstances under which Ancelotti would do the book.

Borgonovo is suffering from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and at 45 years old is dying. He is not the only former footballer in Italy to suffer the condition and there are dark rumours indeed as to why this particular generation of players has been afflicted. He also happens to be a former team-mate of Ancelotti from their days together at Milan. So, faced with attending his book launch, Ancelotti decided, not for the first time it seems, that he could not let Borgonovo down.

Ancelotti may turn out to be a tricky character at Chelsea. He admitted in his book that he had fibbed before to get out of tricky situations. He may be less quotable than Jose Mourinho; less open than Luiz Felipe Scolari; less successful than Guus Hiddink; but by way of an introduction to English football, we know that Ancelotti has an impressive set of principles when it comes to old friends.

By writing the book he has made life a touch uncomfortable for Abramovich but you have to admire Ancelotti's nerve. After all, even a Russian billionaire with a reputation for ruthlessness could hardly get angry about a book that was written to help a dying man.

Borgonovo was never the player that Ancelotti was. He won three caps for Italy compared to Ancelotti's 26. He was Marco van Basten's understudy at Milan and found himself loaned out a couple of times in his four years there. His coaching career had barely started before his illness struck. The kind of struggling ex-pro whom Ancelotti, with his two Champions League victories as coach of Milan, might have chosen conveniently to drift away from.

Instead he has given Borgonovo one of the most precious gifts a famous footballer or manager can give: his story. These are lucrative nest eggs for football people and few give them away for nothing. Ancelotti has a good one too: elsewhere in the book he recalls the occasion Ruud Gullit pinned Fabio Capello up against a wall or when Sven Goran Eriksson got diarrhoea at Roma's Stadio Olimpico (another crap performance at a big game).

I tried to track down someone from the Borgonovo foundation last week but it is a very small organisation, the only full-time employee is Borgonovo's wife. The man at the Italian amyotrophic lateral sclerosis foundation said he only had an email address, no phone number. The website is modest. Imagine what a difference Ancelotti's royalties will make, along with the serialisation rights which have already been bought by an English newspaper.

In the pictures of Borgonovo, he looks like the archetypal Italian striker from the 1980s, coiffured black hair, crucifix tucked inside the collar of his jersey. A far cry from the man who can barely raise his head from his pillow to smile at the camera, in a picture taken with David Beckham that is included in the picture section of Ancelotti's autobiography.

No prizes for guessing who took Beckham along to the hospital to visit Borgonovo. At Chelsea, Ancelotti has one hell of an act to follow in Guus Hiddink. He is also now manager of a club that has not always succeeded in making the right decisions on questions of conduct on the pitch or how it pursues its transfer policy. But on what we know about Ancelotti thus far we can safely say that, on the big issues, he has his priorities right.

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Oct 6 2009, 12:43 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

From goal.com:

Carlo Ancelotti: Chelsea Can Complete A Clean Sweep; Milan Will Struggle Without Kaka

Carlo Ancelotti has enjoyed a flying start to his managerial career in England, and buoyed by Chelsea's excellent start to the campaign, he has declared the Blues can win everything this season.

“The lads have been very motivated from the off,” ‘Carletto’ said to Tuttosport.

“I often hear from the owner [Roman Abramovich]. He is satisfied with what we are doing and he told me our football entertains him.

"I have no preferences: my Chelsea want to win everything this season, including the FA Cup.”

But things at former team Milan are not as rosy, and Ancelotti thinks he knows why.

“I did not expect to see them so far down the table,” he mused. “I think there are the conditions to climb back up, but without Kaka…”

The Brazilian ace was sold to Real Madrid this summer, and without their orchestrator Milan have slumped to nine points from their opening seven games, piling pressure on Ancelotti's successor, Leonardo.

Damn it. Don't tell me the problem, tell me the solution!! Or perhaps he didn't have any either. In fact none of the coaches seem to be able to come up with a solution. Everyone just says they shoulda, coulda done that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif)

+Quote Post

Bluesummers
post Oct 6 2009, 06:30 PM
Post #6

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 1,660

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Oct 6 2009, 05:43 AM) *
From goal.com:

Damn it. Don't tell me the problem, tell me the solution!! Or perhaps he didn't have any either. In fact none of the coaches seem to be able to come up with a solution. Everyone just says they shoulda, coulda done that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif)

the solution is simple, but given our circumstance its not possible. We have to spend money and go into debt.

At this point, we have no other option. Maybe during the summer had we sold a player or two and replaced them with younger players and perhaps not let go of gourcuff, we would be in a better position.

But we have one solution left and that is to buy players, if we do not; We will stay where we are with a new coach or not.

+Quote Post

vnata001
post Sep 21 2010, 07:53 PM
Post #7

Esordienti A 95

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 2,681

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21xUTZcmU1s...=1&index=34

carlo has become a rockstar.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Sep 21 2010, 09:19 PM
Post #8

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Member No.: 2,008

That's cause he's special. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/king.gif)

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Sep 22 2010, 06:16 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

^^

I posted that in the comedy thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Haha.. more than special - King Carlo. This was a poster I saw.

It's amazing man....the true Chelsea fans have really taken to him. The glory hunters still harp on about Mourinho and how he's better...but they don't realise the huge change in image Chelsea is bringing about. Just think of Rooney's infidelity and how it's ripped into Man U with every player having to give an opinion..while Cole and JT get off being royal pr!cks just fine..show up kick butt and go home. The team's totally chilled...just like Carlo..and it's made them really lethal.

And this one will really get your goat.....he's playing youth. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) Actually playing them..and giving them time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

To the point he's said he doesn't want transfers coz he's happy with the youth in the squad. I believe he pulled out a kid from the youth squad and insisted he play in the reserves for a match.

I'm not saying this is proof Carlo was perfect and our youngsters were cr@p...but if you notice his career...there's been a steady improvement as he's gone from club to club.

I'd love for him to win the CL this year, especially if he could beat those Spanish teams while doing so.

</end hero worship>

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Sep 25 2010, 10:15 PM
Post #10

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

Guys, did you know Zaccheroni became Japans new NT coach? I only just found out and well...I'm surprised.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Sep 25 2010, 11:41 PM
Post #11

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Sep 25 2010, 09:15 PM) *
Guys, did you know Zaccheroni became Japans new NT coach? I only just found out and well...I'm surprised.

I found out a while ago, I know he won his first 3 matches in charge, but haven't looked any further into it

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Sep 26 2010, 07:29 PM
Post #12

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Sep 22 2010, 06:16 AM) *
It's amazing man....the true Chelsea fans have really taken to him. The glory hunters still harp on about Mourinho and how he's better..

Yeah, and you know this how?

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Sep 27 2010, 06:22 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

I have both types of fans among my friends. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Oct 4 2010, 08:17 PM
Post #14

Smoking Bianco

Member No.: 191

Carlo's father passed away last Wednesday (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) RIP

This post has been edited by Rossoneri7: Oct 4 2010, 08:17 PM

+Quote Post

CHU-LIP
post Oct 4 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #15

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 7,230

Already did it few days ago (somewhere else) but: RIP G.Ancelotti

This post has been edited by CHU-LIP: Oct 4 2010, 08:18 PM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:42 PM