> Maldini: Milan can't win Champs League without Kaka

Warchant
post Jun 11 2009, 04:53 AM
Post #1

Giovanissimi Nazionali
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 703

MILAN (AP) - Former AC Milan captain Paolo Maldini said Wednesday the club has no chance of winning the Champions League next season after selling Kaka to Real Madrid.

The Brazilian confirmed his move to Madrid for a reported €65 million ($92 million) on Monday, saying he hoped his sale would help ease Milan's financial woes.

Maldini said that while the move may have made financial sense, it had undoubtedly weakened the side's chances of adding to it's seven European Cups.

"Milan winning the Champions League without Kaka is a dream," Maldini said on Milan's Web site on Wednesday. "Looking at the bank account is logical, but at the start of the season you need to set obtainable objectives and without Kaka the Champions League is a dream.

"He is one of the five best players in the world along with (Lionel) Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. The other four aren't moving and Milan can't buy them. Selling Kaka was a big blow to his teammates and the fans."

In his 24-year career with Milan, the former Italy captain was in the vanguard of Italian dominance in Europe. He won the Champions League five times and helped the club to a further three finals.

However, he now feels that Italy has slipped behind other leagues in Europe.

"Kaka is the first player of that level to be sold. In the past such an idea would never have been taken into consideration," Maldini said.

Maldini does feel that new coach Leonardo will not have to look too far to find a replacement for the 2007 World Player of the Year.

"Ronaldinho will have a lot of responsibility next season. Last year he didn't surpass himself, but I think this responsibility will do him good."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jun 11 2009, 06:51 AM
Post #2

Prima Squadra

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,660

QUOTE (Warchant @ Jun 11 2009, 04:53 AM) *
"Kaka is the first player of that level to be sold. In the past such an idea would never have been taken into consideration," Maldini said.

Maybe I'm misreading it or not getting something.. but didn't Zidane leave Italy in the not too distant past? Unless he just means sold by Milan, but then there's Shevchenko, so..?

+Quote Post

TriniKing_CE
post Jun 11 2009, 07:28 AM
Post #3

CrAzY EyeS

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,723

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 11 2009, 01:51 AM) *
Maybe I'm misreading it or not getting something.. but didn't Zidane leave Italy in the not too distant past? Unless he just means sold by Milan, but then there's Shevchenko, so..?

I think he means Milan, and by 'the first player of that level to be sold. In the past such an idea would never have been taken into consideration' I believe he means by the choice of the club. Sheva incident was more Sheva wanting to go than us wanting to sell while Kaka was supposedly the opposite.

...Thats my take on it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

But the Title of this article is misleading, isn't it?!
' Or maybe I'm misreading it or not getting something... ' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

+Quote Post

A.X
post Jun 11 2009, 07:59 AM
Post #4

Pulcini 97

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6,105

i think champions league isn't a dream to milan next season ... because milan is a big team ... maybe the challenge would be between barcelona ; milan and real madrid .... but milan will do good next season i think ( and i hope (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) )...and the responsibility that ronaldinho have next season is the responsibility that kaka had ... that means they all have faith in dinho to lead milan to tropies next season ... and i hope so and i have the same feeling ... all of milan fans hope that too no ???

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:34 AM