> UEFA to consider cup winners for CL

Warchant
post Mar 29 2007, 04:02 PM
Post #1

Giovanissimi Nazionali
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 703

BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) - The winners of Europe's major domestic cup competitions could gain berths into the Champions League.

UEFA said Thursday it was considering the option as part of the planned reform of its premier club competition. Cup winners currently gain entry into the lower-level UEFA Cup.

"Perhaps we can move certain cup winners into the Champions League," said William Gaillard, the special adviser to UEFA president Michel Platini.

Germany, England, Spain and Italy get four spots in the Champions League, but Platini has said he wants to reduce that to three to increase parity in the competition.

As a compromise it could be reduced to three plus the cup winner.

"We will have to look at this in the strategic council," Gaillard said of the body set up to assess competition changes.

The move would also improve the standing of cup competitions, which have been the victim of lack of interest over the past few years.

"It would restore some of the value," Gaillard said.

Germany, Spain and Scotland have already backed the principle, while it had not yet been discussed with the Premier League and English FA, Gaillard said.

UEFA is also looking at plans to have a qualifying round where the third- and fourth-place teams in Europe's elite leagues would play each other instead of clubs from smaller nations, increasing the chances for more countries to have representatives into the first round.

Platini has insisted that Europe's top club competition would have more appeal by allowing the clubs from more nations into the first round.

England had four representatives this season, with Chelsea, Manchester United and Liverpool making it into the quarterfinals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

LaPalma
post Mar 29 2007, 04:19 PM
Post #2

Insert cool title here<--
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,792

Germany, England, Spain and Italy get four spots in the Champions League

That's not true. germany only has 3 spots.
Anyway, I think it's a good idea.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Mar 29 2007, 09:42 PM
Post #3

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

UEFA will have problems with the big teams from the big 3 if they do this.

I personally would like to see things remain as they are. For me I would rather have 3 teams that are of world class quality then to have those 3 teams be from really weak leagues. It would just decrease the quality of the competition

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Mar 30 2007, 10:20 PM
Post #4

Prima Squadra

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,660

Personally I think it's stupid.

Liverpool won the CL in 2005 and finished 5th in their domestic league. I thought it was the CHAMPIONS league?

In England the 5th place team will be getting it every year. Can you imagine someone like Bolton or Reading in the CL It's a joke!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:36 PM