Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cissokho joins Milan

Darunia
post Jun 15 2009, 07:03 PM
Post #46

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 2,240

“Our market is actually as follows,” Galliani told Telelombardia. “We followed Cissokho for a year, and we already have Thiago Silva with us.

Why didn't they sign Cissokho earlier then (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

dst
post Jun 15 2009, 07:12 PM
Post #47

Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 911

QUOTE (Darunia @ Jun 15 2009, 09:03 PM) *
Why didn't they sign Cissokho earlier then (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif)

Why only spend 400k when you can spend 15m? It's not like we experience financial difficulties...

+Quote Post

Habitant
post Jun 15 2009, 07:15 PM
Post #48

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 3,763

QUOTE (dst @ Jun 15 2009, 06:12 PM) *
Why only spend 400k when you can spend 15m? It's not like we experience financial difficulties...

cuz they dont know what they're doing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) like i and many others have said, the main reason why we cant compete with other teams finanacially is cuz we find new ways to blow our money.

+Quote Post

nuh
post Jun 15 2009, 08:02 PM
Post #49

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 1,284

Calcio Debate: Aly Cissokho - The Perfect Signing To Start AC Milan's Life After Kaka
Milan couldn't have asked for a better left-back to go about rebuilding their squad, writes Goal.com's Sulmaan Ahmad...

Yesterday morning, I got a call from none other than Carlo Garganese. He tells me, "Milan have signed Cissokho," and I respond with a kind of bewilderment that most Milan fans have been experiencing over the past few weeks.

Losing Ancelotti, though probably for the best and encouraged by a sizeable contingent of Rossoneri fans, still felt like being jilted, with the club having gone out of their way to stand by the coach as he sunk into insignificance, only for him to jump on the first train out of town.

Or maybe that was planned. Maybe the season-long vote of confidence from vice-president Adriano Galliani was a smokescreen while the directors readied a revolution behind the scenes. What can't have been put down to pre-planning, you'd hope, was the sale of Kaka to Real Madrid.

It wasn't enough to see the bench growing mould at San Siro, to see Giuseppe Favalli move so slowly that cobwebs started forming between his one leg and the other and to see Milan fail to perform with any kind of conviction on a consistent basis. Now, they were selling their best player, one of only two in the entire squad who can still manage a sprint without keeling over and coughing up semi-digested food last seen in 1974 afterwards, and one who had designs on seeing out his whole career with the club.

With Calcio on a continuing slide of financial deterioration, it was as though Milan had no choice. All the fans could hope for was that, like when Juventus sold Zidane to Madrid in 2001 for a world record €73m, the money was spent on the best players money could buy to restrengthen all over. The fans, having long lost faith in the higher-ups at Via Turati, were not optimistic.

It is as fitting an evaluation as you could get of the manner in which Milan have been run in the past few years, then, that when I got the call from Carlo, I heard not Cissokho, but Sissoko.

To me, this seemed much more Milan. A middle-of-the-road signing in a position they already have stocked and over-stocked that would solve about as many problems for them as a new suit would for Raymond Domenech. Being a scruff is the least of his problems.

Imagine my horror and stunned surprise, then, when I came to realise the signing was not Mohammed Sissoko from Juventus, but Aly Cissokho, from Porto. Make no mistake about it, unknown though he may be, this move will prove ingenious.

I would be loathe to credit Adriano Galliani with this signing - it's so far from his usual mark that it would honestly have been less surprising to see Roberto Carlos, at 36, donning the Rossoneri jersey next season - Cissokho, surely, was a signing inspired by Leonardo.

Whoever it was, Milan need to keep going back to them for advice for the remainder of the summer. Cissokho, still only 21, made something of a name for himself against Manchester United in the Champions League quarter-final, completely dominating the left-flank in both a defensive and offensive capacity, but he's a lot more than a one-tie wonder.

He is another in a long line of golden French-African talent, of Malian descent, and he has risen through the ranks at such speed that he provides living proof that talent - real talent - stands out at any level, in any league, in any country.

Having started his career with Guegnon, in France, he was in a side that, believe it or not, faced relegation to the third tier of French football in 2007-08 - right about the time Milan were failing to get into the Champions League. He was snapped up by Vitoria Setubal immediately after and adapted seamlessly, setting alight the Portuguese Liga in just half a season.

Porto swooped in January, and the story was set to repeat itself. His star performances attracted the attention of a handful of clubs in Europe, with Tottenham thought to have been closest to signing him before, out of nowhere, he found himself at San Siro to the tune of €15m, with Porto having only paid €300,000 six months previously. His rise has been so meteoric that you're almost expecting him to sign for Real Madrid in a €30m deal in January.

This is not a No. 9 or No. 10; Cissokho plays in a position that, in most orthodox formations, is about the least significant position there is on a pitch. From full-back, he has been able to make such a compelling case for his own brilliance in such a short space of time and command a fee as high as €15m with very little top level experience - it is testament to pure athleticism, work rate and natural ability, as well as Porto's incredible scouting network and outstanding ability to get sky-high profits on their every sale.

A player like Cissokho is a real bonus in the Italian game, where wingers are scarcely utilised and there is so much more potential for full-backs to impose themselves on games. Cissokho's ability to single-handedly dominate his flank with powerful defending and roving attacks, topped with a tremendous and underrated cross, could soon put him in the same bracket as Maicon at Inter - he has far more many years ahead of him. An ordinary and reliable full-back will usually suffice, but an explosive one can win matches.

With Thiago Silva and Cissokho in the bag, with maybe Edin Dzeko to come - certainly, Milan look like they've finally got the action to back up all that talk, and not a day too soon. The names might not be as big as Vidic, Lahm and Benzema, but we could talk about unavailable, overrated and overpriced options all day, Milan are so far making the best moves they can, and no fan could ask for any more than that.

We have to hold up our hands in recognition now and acknowledge Milan are finally getting it right. They may not quite be Pirlos, Rui Costas, Seedorfs and Shevchenkos - certainly not yet - but Leonardo might just have some of his own legends in the making, and won't they just be ready to prove it when they're inevitably drawn against Real Madrid in the Champions League next season.

+Quote Post

dst
post Jun 15 2009, 08:22 PM
Post #50

Primavera
Group Icon

QUOTE (Portikins @ Jun 15 2009, 08:49 PM) *
Arbeloa is possibly better than him.

Cissokho was average for Porto and Portugal. An average defender for the Portuguese league. For a team like Milan? No way.

There are only 3 players from Porto that I'd welcome in Milan: Bruno Alves, Lucho and Lisandro. Cissokho wasn't even one of their best players.

No 21 year old defender is good enough for a team like Milan. What about the future though, don't you see any signs of greatness in him?

+Quote Post

Zed.D
post Jun 15 2009, 09:50 PM
Post #51

Primavera

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jun 15 2009, 07:45 AM) *
Let's see. Leo thinks he's good...and they got him. What pleases me the most is finally the management buy the coach the player he demanded.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to follow football world much these past few days, where/when did Leo say he wanted Cissokho?

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Jun 16 2009, 05:47 AM
Post #52

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,865

QUOTE (Zed.D @ Jun 16 2009, 03:20 AM) *
I'm sorry I haven't been able to follow football world much these past few days, where/when did Leo say he wanted Cissokho?

It's not my fault you've been a lazy bum. Otherwise you'd have known that Leo recently hired Bluesummers as his Public Relations Officer on net forums.

2 days ago, Bluey released a statement saying Leonardo had specifically demanded Cissokho's transfer and it had been done. He was not available for further comment.

+Quote Post

Bluesummers
post Jun 17 2009, 08:13 AM
Post #53

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 1,660

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Jun 15 2009, 10:47 PM) *
It's not my fault you've been a lazy bum. Otherwise you'd have known that Leo recently hired Bluesummers as his Public Relations Officer on net forums.

2 days ago, Bluey released a statement saying Leonardo had specifically demanded Cissokho's transfer and it had been done. He was not available for further comment.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) <3 you jack (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jun 17 2009, 08:21 AM
Post #54

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

QUOTE (dst @ Jun 15 2009, 08:22 PM) *
No 21 year old defender is good enough for a team like Milan.

Why?

+Quote Post

Bluesummers
post Jun 17 2009, 08:33 AM
Post #55

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 1,660

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 17 2009, 01:21 AM) *
Why?

because no player can play in milan unless they are 30. Lower than that they should be put in the primavera (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post

dst
post Jun 17 2009, 09:00 AM
Post #56

Primavera
Group Icon

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 17 2009, 10:21 AM) *
Why?

There are only a few defenders in the history of football that have been good enough at 21 to compete at the highest level. Rookie mistakes are not forgiven when you play in defense.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jun 17 2009, 09:01 AM
Post #57

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (dst @ Jun 17 2009, 09:00 AM) *
There are only a few defenders in the history of football that have been good enough at 21 to compete at the highest level. Rookie mistakes are not forgiven when you play in defense.

Ramos was 21 3 months ago. He was good enough.. are you saying he's one of the best in history? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

dst
post Jun 17 2009, 09:34 AM
Post #58

Primavera
Group Icon

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 17 2009, 11:01 AM) *
Ramos was 21 3 months ago. He was good enough.. are you saying he's one of the best in history? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I did not say best. What I mean is at 21 there are a few defenders that can make it, they need to have a certain level. That level is not of the best in history. Ramos surely had the requirements at 21. It's like a bar, the bar needs to be high enough for a young defender to play at this level but the bar then needs to raise. Player A might be able to play at this level when he is 21 and player B might not but when they both are 23 player B can be better.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Jun 17 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #59

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (dst @ Jun 17 2009, 09:34 AM) *
I did not say best. What I mean is at 21 there are a few defenders that can make it, they need to have a certain level. That level is not of the best in history. Ramos surely had the requirements at 21. It's like a bar, the bar needs to be high enough for a young defender to play at this level but the bar then needs to raise. Player A might be able to play at this level when he is 21 and player B might not but when they both are 23 player B can be better.

If I were one of these players, surely it would be easier to lower this bar and therefore make it easier to make it. Then both player A and player B can be happy and live together and be friend with their low bar standards of making it.

+Quote Post

dst
post Jun 17 2009, 09:50 AM
Post #60

Primavera
Group Icon

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Jun 17 2009, 11:41 AM) *
If I were one of these players, surely it would be easier to lower this bar and therefore make it easier to make it. Then both player A and player B can be happy and live together and be friend with their low bar standards of making it.

The bar is set!!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:19 AM