Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Winter Transfers 2017

Danny
post Mar 28 2017, 02:37 PM
Post #286

Allievi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6,730

There's a reason Messi's escape clause was set years ago at 250M. They not only wanted to protect their prize asset, but like Real and their similar clause for Ronaldo, knew the player could actually fetch that in the future.

Frankly players who couldn't lace Zidane's boots (and as my mates would tell you, I don't even rate him as highly as the rest of the world does) are now fetching double what he did.

It doesn't have anything to do with a few freak incidents, the reality is inflation has gone absurd.

And while I don't rate Donna as highly as you guys clearly do (I still say he hasn't developed in the past 6 months as much as I expected) by the rates of players' prices these days, players inferior to him, as Han said we're talking 200M range here.

But that said, there's one difference between us, Napoli (Higuian) and Juve (Pogba) - we're financially struggling. In both of those cases they far from needed the money. We...need it a little more.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

han2503
post Mar 29 2017, 12:00 PM
Post #287

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (Danny @ Mar 28 2017, 02:37 PM) *
There's a reason Messi's escape clause was set years ago at 250M. They not only wanted to protect their prize asset, but like Real and their similar clause for Ronaldo, knew the player could actually fetch that in the future.

Frankly players who couldn't lace Zidane's boots (and as my mates would tell you, I don't even rate him as highly as the rest of the world does) are now fetching double what he did.

It doesn't have anything to do with a few freak incidents, the reality is inflation has gone absurd.

And while I don't rate Donna as highly as you guys clearly do (I still say he hasn't developed in the past 6 months as much as I expected) by the rates of players' prices these days, players inferior to him, as Han said we're talking 200M range here.

But that said, there's one difference between us, Napoli (Higuian) and Juve (Pogba) - we're financially struggling. In both of those cases they far from needed the money. We...need it a little more.

If push came to shove, both Juve and Napoli have proven to be selling clubs

Italian teams no longer have the financial clout or name backing to be able to keep their biggest players

Juve have more financial strength than Napoli, Napoli have to sell players in order to keep their books healthy. Even so, I get what you're saying, most clubs can small the stench of desperation rolling off of Galliani when they come knocking on our doors for players, that's why we generally tend to get the short end of the stick

And it's why it is imperative that Fassone (who will most likely be the ones dealing with the financial aspect of transfers) stands firm when we're in negotiations to sell players. Look at Juve, they get good money for their duds, while Galliani can barely get them off his hands for free and then pats his back for not having to pay the ridiculous wages he initially offered these players

+Quote Post

Danny
post Mar 29 2017, 10:28 PM
Post #288

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 6,730

QUOTE (han2503 @ Mar 29 2017, 12:00 PM) *

Less selling clubs, more 'who the f*ck would turn down 70M+ for this player'. Especially in Higuain's case. Going by your stance, Man Utd are a selling club because they didn't reject 90M for Ronaldo, or we once were because we didn't turn down 60M for Kaka. Fact is every player, every club, no matter how important, has a price, even Barca and Real players - remember Barca sold Sanchez and Ibra and Real sold Ozil and Di Maria.

Italian teams no longer have the financial clout or name backing to be able to keep their biggest players

No one can keep their biggest players if an offer from stupid street comes in. Not Utd, not Real, not Barca, not PSG.

Juve have more financial strength than Napoli, Napoli have to sell players in order to keep their books healthy. Even so, I get what you're saying, most clubs can small the stench of desperation rolling off of Galliani when they come knocking on our doors for players, that's why we generally tend to get the short end of the stick

If Napoli had to sell players constantly they wouldn't still have guys like Mertens and Insigne. They sell if they get a stupid offer. But you're quite right - we are far more desperate, and that's not just financial. We stink of bending over backwards to sell below market rate. When was the last time Milan sold a big player for good money? Was it really Silva and Ibra for 50M in 2012? That's five years ago!

+Quote Post

Forza Milan!
post Mar 30 2017, 03:27 AM
Post #289

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 12,353

Unfortunately, R7 is right. If Raiola talks Donna into leaving, we *will* lose him. And if we do not get a contract renewal before he decides to leave, we may not see even close to 100M. And frankly, I do not trust Raiola (he will look after his interest first, the player's second, the club not being a consideration).

Bottom line, keeping Donna is not entirely up to our club's management, and if we are not careful we are not going to see the kind of money that (apparently) is being offered right now.

Not sure what this all means, as our management (old and maybe-new) is a mess, and I would not count on having lots of money (transfer budget or player salary), sale or no sale. If anything, I am seriously concerned that if the sale closes, the new owners will have no money and a high interest loan to deal with.

+Quote Post

Forza Milan!
post Mar 30 2017, 03:43 AM
Post #290

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 12,353

QUOTE (Danny @ Mar 29 2017, 11:28 PM) *
Less selling clubs, more 'who the f*ck would turn down 70M+ for this player'. Especially in Higuain's case. Going by your stance, Man Utd are a selling club because they didn't reject 90M for Ronaldo, or we once were because we didn't turn down 60M for Kaka. Fact is every player, every club, no matter how important, has a price, even Barca and Real players - remember Barca sold Sanchez and Ibra and Real sold Ozil and Di Maria.

Yup. Napoli did the right thing (not sure about the other examples). The point is that most clubs sell players when they believe it makes sense. Even the big clubs, the ones with lotsa money.

No one can keep their biggest players if an offer from stupid street comes in. Not Utd, not Real, not Barca, not PSG.

... or if the player decides to leave.

If Napoli had to sell players constantly they wouldn't still have guys like Mertens and Insigne. They sell if they get a stupid offer. But you're quite right - we are far more desperate, and that's not just financial. We stink of bending over backwards to sell below market rate. When was the last time Milan sold a big player for good money? Was it really Silva and Ibra for 50M in 2012? That's five years ago!

The problem is, if everyone knows you have to sell, it is real hard to get a decent deal, no matter how good you are. That has been the problem with Galliani. In some cases this was self-inflicted (paying players too much), in others he was set up for failure (I believe Fininvest forced him to sell Ibra and probably Silva).

Juve gets better deals because they have their financial house in order, so they are not forced to sell anyone.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Apr 1 2017, 01:16 PM
Post #291

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Member No.: 2,008

QUOTE (han2503 @ Mar 29 2017, 12:00 PM) *

Huh? Juve is not a selling club. They sold Pogba for a crazy amount but purchased Higuan for another crazy amount. Likewise, when Napoli sold Cavani they signed Higuain right away. I can't see how you'd call them selling clubs.

It's as Danny said. Every player has a price, regardless for which club they play.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Apr 1 2017, 03:47 PM
Post #292

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Apr 1 2017, 01:16 PM) *
Huh? Juve is not a selling club. They sold Pogba for a crazy amount but purchased Higuan for another crazy amount. Likewise, when Napoli sold Cavani they signed Higuain right away. I can't see how you'd call them selling clubs.

It's as Danny said. Every player has a price, regardless for which club they play.

It's not just a monetary issue for clubs in Italy though, Juve had to sell Pogba not just because of the money, but because the player wanted to leave, same thing with Vidal.

Napoli are run amazingly well, especially considering where they've come from. But let's not kid ourselves, they can't afford to keep players like Cavani long term. They can't afford to meet certain wage demands, and especially not for a large number of players, they've managed to hold onto Hamsik, but all the other top players they've had have been sold.

Also, I disagree with that saying, that all clubs are selling clubs, you don't see Real and Barca selling their best players. Danny mentioned Di Maria and Ozil, let's not kid ourselves, Real only sold them because they wanted to make way for the more marketable "It" players of the moment (James and Bale)

+Quote Post

20 Pages V  « < 18 19 20
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:25 PM