Fillipo Simone
post Feb 17 2009, 09:56 PM
Post #31

Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,564

Maldini: „No one can say I’ve stopped to early“

Incredible, but true: Paolo Maldini’s career last’s longer then the Champions League, he played 20 years ago (while the 5 month old Mesut Özil still didn’t even know there is a thing called football) against Werder, and will be there on Wednesday as an active player to mess his skills with the green-white shirts. A stainless career lies in the middle. (…)

Mr. Maldini, exactly 20 years ago you played with your present coach Carlo Ancelotti against Werder in the European Cup. Do you still have any memories from back then?

Oh, it’s been a long while, and my memories are meanwhile foggy, But it sure was a game in the competition of (land) champions. We were champions in Italy back then. Yep, and if I’m correct, I scored a header in the home game for our 1-0 lead, after a cross by Donadoni, right?

Home game – correct, 1:0 – correct, but it was a dubious penalty by Marco van Basten. You scored sure had the 1:0 against Werder in the 1994 Champions League edition in mind.

Oh! You see!...but the first duel was also in a competition of (land) champions, while we meet this time unfortunately just in the UEFA-Cup, even though it’s a competition near to the Champions League.

In Bremen people are glad to see especially you play once more, even though your team is of big names. How do you explain your unbelievable successful career in sucha long time period?

I think, it’s very easy. My motivation is very natural. I love my work, I have fun even after all these years. Maybe people do sense that. But I also have luck, that my body still permits all that. That must be of course right, if you want to play that long on the highest level.

Werder Bremen also have a veteran, captain Frank Baumann. He reconsiders ending his career 10 years after he joined the green-whites, with 33 years. You’ll be soon 41, do you grin about the “a strayed” thoughts of you captain-college?

No, that’s a decision everyone makes for himself alone. I think, it’s very personal matter. In that decision many different factors play a role. It depends on your will and physic state to carry proving yourself. I won’t interfere.

But can you provide the Baumann-fans with some Tips, how they can talk the Werder captain into a contract extension? That happened with you also – 2 years ago you announced for the first time your retirement, but changed your mind later.

That’s right. But I’m glad I changed my mind last year. This season I had only small problems, trained every day with the team, and when I played on the field I played from the beginning. I’m satisfied with that. Countless players ended their professional career and regret that decision later on. That can’t be my case any more! I’m really 40 years old! (laughs)

When your contract expires this summer, you’ll be 41 already. Is it really the end?

Absolutely. There’s no return. But I think, that’s alright with everyone, even if I feel myself physically better then the last two seasons.

Like your Bremer captain-college, in your career you’ve reach all top’s and low’s with one club. Such loyalty is uncommon under the modern-football circumstances. Why did you stay always at Milan?

Very easy, at home I found always everything what I thought was important. It’s difficult for someone like me, who was born here, who has a family here, who is connected in such a way with AC Milan, to find a reason to move somewhere else.

Do usually many young players come to you and ask for advices? Nevertheless you played on international stages even before some of them were born.

Well, what should I say. The situation today is different. The young players don’t have it easier exactly. In contrary. The team-rosters are much bigger then the ones years back. So they have less opportunities to show themselves. They need, beside quality and personality, also a good and bold coach. It’s hard to fulfill the expectations a club like AC Milan bears for a young player.

Yesterday night the 270th Derby della Madonnina was on. It was personally your 55th duel with your city rival. Does the 1:2 defeat mean AC must back down from their season objectives?

No question, the derby against Inter was an important match, but it does not go that far that we can say the outcome labels our season as good or bad. Our objective is, every year, to win either the home or European title. That cannot be done in one match. There’s much more in it.

You team college Ronaldinho found his form back at season start, but couldn’t repeat the same in the last few weeks. He was left out before the Inter game for 4 times from the starting eleven. Did you have to encourage him a team captain?

I did notice that he wasn’t satisfied, also because he sits in the locker room next to me. But it wasn’t necessary to say something special to him. The joy he takes every day with him on training, says everything about him. It proves his personality. I also think it was good for him he played with the Brazilian NT in midweek against such a strong side like Italy. As you already said, one should never forget that he was our most crucial player of the first part of our season.

How does your future look, after you stop this summer? Will you stay in the professional business?

Those plans are still difficult because I’m still fully into my active-player routine. At this moment there is no decision made. But there is enough time, to check all options and think about them and decide were to go on. It’s also an option not to do anything for the start. Fact stays, I’ll only start something that corresponds with my thoughts.

Does a coach-job correspond with your thoughts?

(laughs) You clearly don’t wish me good. If it is something I won’t do, then it’s probably a coach-job. No, it won’t go in that direction.

Here's my translation. Note - I made it in short time since I have to work, so parts of it can be phrased unprofessional or poorly.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Il Capitano
post Feb 17 2009, 11:53 PM
Post #32

PatoMania

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 142

^^
Thanks for translating.

They need, beside quality and personality, also a good and bold coach.
I like that part.

+Quote Post

woody
post Feb 18 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #33

Pulcini 99

Member No.: 4,089

Sorry to hijack, but does anybody know if I am able to watch this game in Australia? It doesn't seem to be on ESPN or SBS which usually have the games.

This post has been edited by woody: Feb 18 2009, 11:58 AM

+Quote Post

acid911
post Feb 18 2009, 12:05 PM
Post #34

Berretti

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,736

QUOTE (woody @ Feb 18 2009, 03:58 PM) *
Sorry to hijack, but does anybody know if I am able to watch this game in Australia? It doesn't seem to be on ESPN or SBS which usually have the games.

Internet steaming is you new friend, mate. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) If it's not on TV or cable, start downloading some bits!

+Quote Post

Tennie
post Feb 18 2009, 12:05 PM
Post #35

Token Girl
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,800

Not sure if this is any help in Australia, woody, but Setanta is broadcasting the game.

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Feb 18 2009, 12:43 PM
Post #36

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,865

QUOTE (woody @ Feb 18 2009, 04:28 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Dude....seriously! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I would have been banned 14 months ago, if it was a crime. We're an anarchy here, despite what all the mods with scary stories of shark infested fish tanks and sociopathic assassin alter-egos would have you believe.

+Quote Post

acid911
post Feb 18 2009, 01:14 PM
Post #37

Berretti

Member No.: 3,736

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Feb 18 2009, 04:43 PM) *
Dude....seriously! I would have been banned 14 months ago, if it was a crime. We're an anarchy here, despite what all the mods with scary stories of shark infested fish tanks and sociopathic assassin alter-egos would have you believe.

The pirate speaketh the truth! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) He's a professional at this thread hijacking thingy too, just so you know.

+Quote Post

Rivaldo
post Feb 18 2009, 02:04 PM
Post #38

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 1,063

channel4.com - Dinho may miss tonights game and as Carletto said 'Pippo is only our forward now'.

So No Dinho and No Pato??

------Becks-------------Pirlo------------Flamini---------Ambro------------
---------------------------------Seedorf-------------------------------------
----------------------------------Pippo---------------------------------------

??

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Feb 18 2009, 02:05 PM
Post #39

Group Icon

I think he might play Janku as a pure MF. With Antonini and Zambrotta as fullbacks. (Can't say we have wingbacks any more can we... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) )

+Quote Post

Rivaldo
post Feb 18 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #40

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 1,063

I heard some suggest Ambro may play with Pippo as forward.....huh....where frome people take sucj ideas??

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Feb 18 2009, 02:14 PM
Post #41

Group Icon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) We've done it before you know....(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) When a team clammed up, and we had to play long balls. We didn't win though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post

dst
post Feb 18 2009, 02:25 PM
Post #42

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 911

Pippo like Germany. Pippo score tonight.

This post has been edited by dst: Feb 18 2009, 02:25 PM

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Feb 18 2009, 02:36 PM
Post #43

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

Technically speaking, we lost, but Ambro scored the winner for the next round...

+Quote Post

kizo
post Feb 18 2009, 03:30 PM
Post #44

Pulcini Provinciali 98

Member No.: 778

Milannews.it probable formation

MILAN (4-3-2-1): Dida; Zambrotta, Bonera, Kaladze, Jankulovski; Beckham, Pirlo, Ambrosini; Seedorf, Ronaldinho; F.Inzaghi.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Feb 18 2009, 04:07 PM
Post #45

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (kizo @ Feb 18 2009, 03:30 PM) *
Milannews.it probable formation

MILAN (4-3-2-1): Dida; Zambrotta, Bonera, Kaladze, Jankulovski; Beckham, Pirlo, Ambrosini; Seedorf, Ronaldinho; F.Inzaghi.

Glad to see Dinho there

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:27 AM