> Changes in football

dst
post Apr 23 2011, 11:33 PM
Post #1

Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 911

I think they're necessary. Personally, I feel football is held back by staying the same. I think changes are needed to make the game better and more entertaining. I don't know what those are and drastic ones cannot happen overnight but there are some simpler things that could be done. I expect most of you to disagree with this as you probably want things to remain as they are. I expect so because I believe the football world is very conservative.

I'd like to read your thoughts about this and what you think should change.

My first thought concerns the field. As players have become more athletic the field has been made to look narrower because they're able to cover big areas more quickly than they did before. So I believe if fields were wider the extra space would really help the game in speed and rhythm.

Another one is about substitutions. I don't see why they have to be limited to three... what's the point? give more freedom to the coaches and make it so that even players that have come off the field can be brought on again.

I don't think these are big changes. They would not change the nature of the game and I believe they'd make it better... what do you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Apr 24 2011, 01:42 AM
Post #2

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 2,008

Computer chip to detect whether the ball has crossed the line of goal or not.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Apr 24 2011, 01:59 AM
Post #3

Prima Squadra

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,660

QUOTE (dst @ Apr 23 2011, 11:33 PM) *
My first thought concerns the field. As players have become more athletic the field has been made to look narrower because they're able to cover big areas more quickly than they did before. So I believe if fields were wider the extra space would really help the game in speed and rhythm.

I can't agree. This isn't America where we have to try and make it more exciting, more goals, whatever. The pitch limitations are fine as they are, in my opinion.

Another one is about substitutions. I don't see why they have to be limited to three... what's the point? give more freedom to the coaches and make it so that even players that have come off the field can be brought on again.

There's nothing more boring than the end of games when substitutions keep being made. Imagine if you could make as many as you want. There would just be far too much time-wasting. The point of having 3 is to make the game more tactical and such. It's a bit stupid if you can essentially just bring on a group of attackers whenevr you get a free kick, then when you take the lead bring on 7 defenders or something. It'd turn into the NFL.

what do you think?

No referees. Prison rules football. At least you don't have mistakes ruining every game.

I think chips in the balls is a good idea from X-Off. That saves the time wasting aspect of having to go to video reviews and stuff.

+Quote Post

Locke Lamora
post Apr 24 2011, 02:10 AM
Post #4

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 3,499

1. Abolish the ridiculous rule of yellow-carding a player for removing his shirt after scoring.

2. Video monitor at the side of the pitch, each manager gets to challenge the referee's decision thrice during each game.

3. Failing to do implement the above, use video evidence to ban divers and other cheats after matches.

4. Scrap the away goals rule in European competitions.

5. Change the CL format. Every champion from every league should qualify for the group stages automatically, wether they're from Spain or San Marino. And a maximum of three entrants per country.

6. Effective playing time, ie. instead of added time, simply stop the clock whenever a team is preparing to take a free kick, a corner etc. In other words, as long as the ball is stationary, you stop the clock. As soon as it's kicked into play, the time resumes.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Apr 24 2011, 03:07 AM
Post #5

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Apr 24 2011, 02:10 AM) *
6. Effective playing time, ie. instead of added time, simply stop the clock whenever a team is preparing to take a free kick, a corner etc. In other words, as long as the ball is stationary, you stop the clock. As soon as it's kicked into play, the time resumes.

I agree with the others but the problem with this is that games would last forever. I imagine the ball is only in play about 60% of the time maximum.

Oh, one thing I'd like to take from rugby is how they do the injuries. If somene is injured on the field, so what? The trainer comes on and treats him and the game continues. If you run into him, that's your own fault. It cuts out time-wasting on injuries so there's no point in diving around, you're just leaving your team a man down.

+Quote Post

Dracoris
post Apr 24 2011, 05:35 AM
Post #6

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 6,716

I'd say you can only have one challenge. If you get it right, you keep it, wrong you lose it.

You can use it to challenge ghost goals and penalties only (Falsely given or not given i.e. Maicon's handball in the derby or Englands misfortune in the WC). No free kick challenges and certainly no throw in challenges.

Stricter punishment for diving and time-wasting post game is a must.

This post has been edited by Dracoris: Apr 24 2011, 05:36 AM

+Quote Post

Milan Are Brilli...
post Apr 24 2011, 07:50 AM
Post #7

Berretti
Group Icon

Member No.: 90

I've said it for a while now, the game is nowhere near as entertaining as it used to be. The WC was a clear example of that, hence the reason I've got into other sports in the past few years.

I sit through so many dross games from all over the globe that its rare to see a decent game on TV, the North London Derby the other night was a welcome change.

The only way I can see putting emphasis back into attack is rewarding teams with an extra point, or something like that if they were to beat a team by 3 goals or more (obviously this would only really be for league formats), similar to what they have in rugby now. All I hear nowadays is "at the end of the day what matters is the result, not the performance"... Ok, great, real entertaining.

Sure going to the stadium I still love the game but watching it on TV, it's losing its appeal very, very fast in all honesty.

+Quote Post

dst
post Apr 24 2011, 10:59 AM
Post #8

Primavera
Group Icon

I'd love video challenges. I think it would help the game sooooo much... I mean, you don't only get more decisions right but you get to shut up the players and coaches who protest all the time like idiots!!! You don't think it's right, f_cker? Then challenge it and shut the f_ck up!!! Ahh... I'd love it!

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Apr 24 2011, 03:59 AM) *
I can't agree. This isn't America where we have to try and make it more exciting, more goals, whatever. The pitch limitations are fine as they are, in my opinion.

That's what I was expecting from more people actually. Yeah this isn't the US... unfortunately! What they're doing over there is right... why shouldn't the game become more exciting? You say it like it's a bad thing. I'm not asking to add a 3-point line in football, pitch expansion would not even be noticeable.

There's nothing more boring than the end of games when substitutions keep being made. Imagine if you could make as many as you want. There would just be far too much time-wasting. The point of having 3 is to make the game more tactical and such. It's a bit stupid if you can essentially just bring on a group of attackers whenevr you get a free kick, then when you take the lead bring on 7 defenders or something. It'd turn into the NFL.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I did not mean it like that... but it would be funny. I meant why only 3 and not 6? And of course something should be done to limit time wasting like not allowing changes too close to each other with time limitations or something.

No referees. Prison rules football. At least you don't have mistakes ruining every game.

That would be just perfect.

+Quote Post

Locke Lamora
post Apr 24 2011, 11:52 PM
Post #9

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 3,499

QUOTE (kurtsimonw @ Apr 24 2011, 04:07 AM) *
I agree with the others but the problem with this is that games would last forever. I imagine the ball is only in play about 60% of the time maximum.

Oh, one thing I'd like to take from rugby is how they do the injuries. If somene is injured on the field, so what? The trainer comes on and treats him and the game continues. If you run into him, that's your own fault. It cuts out time-wasting on injuries so there's no point in diving around, you're just leaving your team a man down.

Hmm, well, maybe not during throw-ins and free-kicks, but for injuries, straight after goals etc (ie, when the ball is out of play for at least a minute) I think it would be a vast improvement.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Apr 25 2011, 01:05 AM
Post #10

Prima Squadra

QUOTE (Locke Lamora @ Apr 24 2011, 11:52 PM) *
Hmm, well, maybe not during throw-ins and free-kicks, but for injuries, straight after goals etc (ie, when the ball is out of play for at least a minute) I think it would be a vast improvement.

Yeah that wouldn't be so bad.

+Quote Post

LaPalma
post Apr 27 2011, 11:12 AM
Post #11

Insert cool title here<--
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,792

QUOTE (dst @ Apr 24 2011, 11:59 AM) *
I'd love video challenges. I think it would help the game sooooo much... I mean, you don't only get more decisions right but you get to shut up the players and coaches who protest all the time like idiots!!! You don't think it's right, f_cker? Then challenge it and shut the f_ck up!!! Ahh... I'd love it!

Video challenges of what? Fouls? Yellow cards? Red cards? Penalties? Even if you have a video of the incident it's not always crystal clear what to decide. I'm all for Goal-Line technology though.

That's what I was expecting from more people actually. Yeah this isn't the US... unfortunately! What they're doing over there is right... why shouldn't the game become more exciting? You say it like it's a bad thing. I'm not asking to add a 3-point line in football, pitch expansion would not even be noticeable.

Oh yeah, and we call out a "Hammer time" after every goal and try to kill the fans with stupid techno beats after every nice pass or so. Yeah, great entertainment.
Pitch expansion? No, thanks. The small pitch is the very reason for the great football we're seeing these days. It would be much slower had the expansed the pitch some time ago.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I did not mean it like that... but it would be funny. I meant why only 3 and not 6? And of course something should be done to limit time wasting like not allowing changes too close to each other with time limitations or something.

Why is one half half 45 minutes long and not 30, why do teams get to take 5 penalties in a PK-shootoout? Because you gotta name some number...

+Quote Post

Milan Are Brilli...
post Apr 27 2011, 09:39 PM
Post #12

Berretti
Group Icon

There couldn't ever be a more prominent time for this thread!

+Quote Post

dst
post Apr 27 2011, 09:55 PM
Post #13

Primavera
Group Icon

QUOTE (LaPalma @ Apr 27 2011, 01:12 PM) *
Video challenges of what? Fouls? Yellow cards? Red cards? Penalties? Even if you have a video of the incident it's not always crystal clear what to decide. I'm all for Goal-Line technology though.

I don't know but video replays are absolutely needed... I don't need a better example than the one in the biggest game in football with the refs missing Zidane's headbutt on Materazzi and get saved by the replay...

Oh yeah, and we call out a "Hammer time" after every goal and try to kill the fans with stupid techno beats after every nice pass or so. Yeah, great entertainment.

What's with the sarcasm? And where have you seen anything close to that in US sports?

Pitch expansion? No, thanks. The small pitch is the very reason for the great football we're seeing these days. It would be much slower had the expansed the pitch some time ago.

Well if you think what we're watching is great football then we're never going to agree on anything regarding this issue... I obviously think football nowadays is far from great.

Why is one half half 45 minutes long and not 30, why do teams get to take 5 penalties in a PK-shootoout? Because you gotta name some number...

OK then name another... a player was awarded only two free throws if he was fouled taking a shot beyond the three point line 30 years ago in basketball... now that is considered stupid... why are you so against changes, what do you fear so much?

QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Apr 27 2011, 11:39 PM) *
There couldn't ever be a more prominent time for this thread!

Indeed a video replay would have resulted in Marcelo seeing another red for stepping on whoever it was that was lying in front of him. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post

Milan Are Brilli...
post Apr 27 2011, 10:00 PM
Post #14

Berretti
Group Icon

QUOTE (dst @ Apr 27 2011, 09:55 PM) *
Indeed a video replay would have resulted in Marcelo seeing another red for stepping on whoever it was that was lying in front of him. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Yeah, I think the game would be better if we start Madrid with 10 men and Barca with 11, we all know that's how it's going to end, and it's far more entertaining when it's like it.

+Quote Post

dst
post Apr 27 2011, 10:16 PM
Post #15

Primavera
Group Icon

QUOTE (Milan Are Brilliant @ Apr 28 2011, 12:00 AM) *
Yeah, I think the game would be better if we start Madrid with 10 men and Barca with 11, we all know that's how it's going to end, and it's far more entertaining when it's like it.

No they should start with 11 it's fair. They should see the red for going in a challenge with their studs on an opponent's leg without even looking at what they're doing... that's fair too.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:43 PM