> Bonucci, Leonardo Bonucci

Fillipo Simone
post Mar 3 2019, 05:13 PM
Post #46

Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,564

One season cannot make him a pretender for the Azzuri spot. We've seen countless times that good or even great individuals simply do not work in a CB pairing. And there's that injury that's been dragging for months. So there are more then a few question marks regarding Caldara. Maybe he'll turn into a good purchase, but so far this cannot be said.

And the hype was specifically boosted by ex-Juventini players who immensely rated Caldara as a big defender just because he played one season good at Atalanta. That's also fishy for me...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

han2503
post Mar 3 2019, 06:07 PM
Post #47

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,109

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Mar 3 2019, 05:13 PM) *
One season cannot make him a pretender for the Azzuri spot. We've seen countless times that good or even great individuals simply do not work in a CB pairing. And there's that injury that's been dragging for months. So there are more then a few question marks regarding Caldara. Maybe he'll turn into a good purchase, but so far this cannot be said.

And the hype was specifically boosted by ex-Juventini players who immensely rated Caldara as a big defender just because he played one season good at Atalanta. That's also fishy for me...

I think it's telling that Juve were desperate to keep him last summer, but their desperation to offload Higuain and his wages was bigger so they relented.

I think he's a very talented CB from what I've seen of him. Could it be that due to circumstance he doesn't fulfill his promise? Of course, but for me he's someone I'm excited to see playing next to Romagnoli in the coming months

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Mar 3 2019, 08:17 PM
Post #48

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 2,008

Rugani was hyped as the next big thing like Caldara yet he's just a sub at Juve. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Han. Thus far Caldara has been a failed investment, there's no other way of looking at it.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Mar 3 2019, 08:18 PM
Post #49

Primavera
Group Icon

Agreed.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Mar 3 2019, 08:44 PM
Post #50

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

I'll hold my judgement for now, I'm still excited about him. If he comes back next season, stays fit and forms a partnership with Romgnoli then this season would just be a bump in the road.

It's not like he's played for us and messed up each time. He's had bad luck with injuries

Rugani never looked the part imo, even at the peak of the hype train. He's just too lightweight and shows little ambition. He seem perfectly happy sitting on the Juve bench and collecting the medals his team mates win

+Quote Post

Danny
post Mar 4 2019, 02:38 AM
Post #51

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 6,730

QUOTE (han2503 @ Mar 3 2019, 08:44 PM) *
I'll hold my judgement for now, I'm still excited about him.

Pretty sure you said the same about Silva (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

han2503
post Mar 9 2019, 11:08 AM
Post #52

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (Danny @ Mar 4 2019, 02:38 AM) *
Pretty sure you said the same about Silva (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Yeah, but the 2 are entirely different quantities. Caldara has already had a terrific season in Serie A. Silva was coming from the Portuguese league with a lot of hype behind him but nothing else.

Also, this is not about performance (or lack-thereof in Silva's case), Caldara has just been injured, we haven't even seen him play for us. So that's why you can't make judgement, unlike with Silva who was underwhelming most of the time he played

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Mar 9 2019, 11:28 AM
Post #53

Primavera
Group Icon

With Silva we knew it all along. His fantastic score for Portugal masked the fact that he scored mostly against the likes of Andorra and Hungary.

We'll see about Caldara. Sure, one nice season with Atalanta. But now with this long injury and with the pressure at Milan and much higher stakes, we'll see what he can manage... I don't have high hopes, but maybe he'll surprise.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Mar 9 2019, 04:53 PM
Post #54

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (han2503 @ Mar 9 2019, 11:08 AM) *
Yeah, but

Love it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

the 2 are entirely different quantities. Caldara has already had a terrific season in Serie A. Silva was coming from the Portuguese league with a lot of hype behind him but nothing else.

Also, this is not about performance (or lack-thereof in Silva's case), Caldara has just been injured, we haven't even seen him play for us. So that's why you can't make judgement, unlike with Silva who was underwhelming most of the time he played

No argument about Caldera here, your stance is fair. But nevertheless you reckoned, against my repeated assurances to the contrary, that Silva was a great signing and you kept giving him more chances.

In fairness, you weren't alone.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Mar 9 2019, 04:55 PM
Post #55

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (Fillipo Simone @ Mar 9 2019, 11:28 AM) *
With Silva we knew it all along.

Maybe you did (I don't recall now!), but aside me no one else seemed wary of that acquisition!

His fantastic score for Portugal masked the fact that he scored mostly against the likes of Andorra and Hungary.

We'll see about Caldara. Sure, one nice season with Atalanta. But now with this long injury and with the pressure at Milan and much higher stakes, we'll see what he can manage... I don't have high hopes, but maybe he'll surprise.

Atalanta have a habit of making really good players tbh. Jack and Kessie to name just two. They're the new Genoa, kind of, albeit we've finally managed to find a genuinely good player from them at last. Only took a conveyer belt of fail to average to get there.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Mar 9 2019, 11:37 PM
Post #56

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (Danny @ Mar 9 2019, 04:53 PM) *
Love it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

No argument about Caldera here, your stance is fair. But nevertheless you reckoned, against my repeated assurances to the contrary, that Silva was a great signing and you kept giving him more chances.

In fairness, you weren't alone.

Well that's part of the hype train, plus he cost us a lot, no one wants to see that kind of investment going down the drain. Plus, in fairness to him, Montella generally preferred the even worse Kalinic over him which I though was unfair

QUOTE (Danny @ Mar 9 2019, 04:55 PM) *
Maybe you did (I don't recall now!), but aside me no one else seemed wary of that acquisition!

Atalanta have a habit of making really good players tbh. Jack and Kessie to name just two. They're the new Genoa, kind of, albeit we've finally managed to find a genuinely good player from them at last. Only took a conveyer belt of fail to average to get there.

That's the Gasperini effect (barring Bona who came before him). All his players generally tend to have a drop off when they're out of his system, this is the case with Kessie, Gagliardini etc. All the players playing in his system generally looks fantastic, but tend to struggle outside of it

I know this view contradicts my outlook on Caldara, but I just have a good feeling about him. He's always impressed me when I watched him. And the fact that Juve were completely against the idea of selling him but would only do it on the Higuain condition our of desperation also adds to my confidence in him

We'll see, of course I could be completely wrong and he could flop big time, but I don't think that will be the case

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Mar 9 2019, 11:40 PM
Post #57

Primavera
Group Icon

What makes you so sure Juve were "completely" against selling him? Because of some old Juventini geezers like Di Livio who said Caldara is a top talent and Juve future? I think they were just playing hardball and wanted to raise Caldara's prize.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Mar 9 2019, 11:52 PM
Post #58

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Member No.: 2,008

Honestly, I know nothing of Caldara. But a friend of mine told me when we signed him that he's a fantastic defender. And my friend is a big Inter fan, so there's no bias there either.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Mar 10 2019, 03:42 PM
Post #59

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (han2503 @ Mar 9 2019, 11:37 PM) *
Well that's part of the hype train, plus he cost us a lot, no one wants to see that kind of investment going down the drain. Plus, in fairness to him, Montella generally preferred the even worse Kalinic over him which I though was unfair

Nothing sums up the banter years better than Kalinic or Silva (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

han2503
post Mar 10 2019, 09:48 PM
Post #60

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (Danny @ Mar 10 2019, 03:42 PM) *
Nothing sums up the banter years better than Kalinic or Silva (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Nah. There were far worse

(IMG:http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jhRr_MKB6lo/UoSGnVRtWSI/AAAAAAAAJ9k/j0lhQXhDokc/s1600/Acerbi%20Traore%20Constant.jpg)

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:37 AM