> Serie A - Week 28 - Juventus - Milan, Date: 10/03/17 Time: 20:45 CET

Danny
post Mar 15 2017, 12:52 PM
Post #136

Allievi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6,730

QUOTE (Jack Sparrow @ Mar 14 2017, 05:19 AM) *
He's (Niang) actually doing well in England. Either like Danny says he can't bear the burden of consistency that is required to play in a top club OR he's a slacker who lazes off once he thinks he's 'made it'.

I did note you positing that theory - about young players who think they've hit the zenith at a club like Milan and slacking off purely on the grounds of thinking they've already done everything. Could be real merit in that idea. But there is also a lot to say for the pressure at Milan compared with Watford. Milan is MUST WIN EVERY MATCH and it's a club with unrivalled history and grandeur. So it takes mental strength to cope with that pressure and perform to the best of your ability. Niang is probably unrecognised in London/Watford when he hits the streets, whereas in Milan he'd be getting people in his face (negatively and positively) all the time. That's a whole different world.

@Danny - I like Bertolacci man. I think he's a clever little passer and dribbler, but what we're missing is that midfield engine to make everything tick. Hence why I'm a huge fan of Milan Badelj. I thought Locatelli would do it, but the boy can't absorb pressure single-handedly.

Yeah Berto is definitely dividing us. We do need a new Muntari, I guess Berto is the man! I agree totally on the dribbling part of his game, he is surprisingly composed doing that, but it's not what you need in his position. Dribbling is for the wing, or the attack - not deep in midfield. I think his passing is hit and miss. Can be totally off the boil while then 5 minutes later he radars in a microbe in the penalty box. I think the problem is the debate over him sums up Milan - he can do it, sometimes, but mostly he doesn't stand out, and he's way below the level needed for a club like Milan. But he's where we seem to be at right now. I just don't want to see him in our midfield more than I have to.

An interesting note, is how Montella mentioned that he thinks Locatelli could actually play at CB eventually.

Considering how our midfielders are pretty much a bunch of square pegs and we're full of round holes - I'd be okay with your midfield. I'm still hugely in favour of seeing Honda deployed in that midfield three. He has a healthy workrate and pass accuracy - I must be missing something obvious, in case he hasn't been tried before.

Honda's problem is he doesn't suit Serie A. He has been a good trequartista for his other teams, be it Japan or CSKA, but the game in Italy is very different and he doesn't read it at all well. We've seen him play him that slot quite a few times for us and he looks lethargic, impaired, and has no vision. Unless you're meaning deeper?

Pasalic is average to me, except in the way he makes runs to the box. None of our other midfielders do that as lethally as him - probably thanks to the English influence in his coaching. I however wouldn't play both Pasalic and Kucka together, since defensively I don't trust their positioning (esp Kucka who is out of position and forced to make rash tackles). I would play a confident Locatelli failing which I'd go with Bertolacci in place of either Pasalic or Kucka. Sosa at the moment is untouchable. Having played so little over the season - he's not too fatigued either which is a huge help.

So depressing to be debating between Pasalic, Kucka and Honda when it used to be Pirlo, Gattuso, Seedorf (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Danny
post Mar 15 2017, 12:54 PM
Post #137

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Mar 14 2017, 05:30 PM) *
I also prefer Bertolacci to Pasalic. As of right now I think our best midfield is Kucka-Sosa-Bertolacci. That being said, they're all very average-to-mediocre players that could very well be starting for teams like Genoa, Sampdoria and other mid-tier clubs.

TEAM PASALIC! I'm going to be his sole defender on here with pride!

Unfortunately, Bona's injury was a huge blow. I think with Deulofeu he'd have formed a nice pairing on the left. And now that Suso is injured as well, we're left to cope with scraps.

It was a blow but we've been unbeaten in his absence, Juve aside.

Guess time will tell over the next few weeks how we normalise without these guys.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Mar 15 2017, 12:55 PM
Post #138

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (milanbuf88 @ Mar 14 2017, 06:34 PM) *
I'd love to see Locatelli tried as a side mid with Sosa and Kucka. Bertolacci just doesn't impress me at all. He's slow, weak, gets knocked off the ball too easily, and his offensive contributions aren't enough to make up for his liabilities.

Locatelli is one I believe who struggles with the pressure. I think the lad has talent, but he tailed off in December quite dramatically, as if he realised 'oh sh*t I'm playing for Milan' and suddenly bottomed out.

I like him but I think he's another of the old 'Watford Genoa' syndrome - would look great at a small club but struggles at one like Milan.

+Quote Post

milanbuf88
post Mar 15 2017, 02:49 PM
Post #139

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 7,674

QUOTE (Danny @ Mar 15 2017, 08:55 AM) *
Locatelli is one I believe who struggles with the pressure. I think the lad has talent, but he tailed off in December quite dramatically, as if he realised 'oh sh*t I'm playing for Milan' and suddenly bottomed out.

I like him but I think he's another of the old 'Watford Genoa' syndrome - would look great at a small club but struggles at one like Milan.

I don't buy that at all. I don't think he really tailed off. It was mostly the rest of the midfield that failed. He's not able to be both the defensive shield and sole provider in the midfield. I don't think he should be asked to be that player. I think he'd be much better with a proficient ball mover next to him (if he plays in the middle) or as a side mid with increased license to move forward, make runs into the box, and press.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Mar 15 2017, 04:04 PM
Post #140

Allievi Nazionali

QUOTE (milanbuf88 @ Mar 15 2017, 02:49 PM) *
I don't buy that at all. I don't think he really tailed off. It was mostly the rest of the midfield that failed. He's not able to be both the defensive shield and sole provider in the midfield. I don't think he should be asked to be that player. I think he'd be much better with a proficient ball mover next to him (if he plays in the middle) or as a side mid with increased license to move forward, make runs into the box, and press.

I don't see that player in him at all. I will say this; we're struggling to actually place his best position, and that is a big problem in itself.

But he WAS extremely good at defensive duties and regista tasks up till December - I find it a bit odd that rather than questioning his disappearance from form, you instead decide all other 8 (?) midfield players are to blame?

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:26 AM