> Serie A - Week 14 - Empoli - Milan, Date: 26/11/16 Time: 20:45 CET

han2503
post Nov 24 2016, 08:45 PM
Post #1

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,109

Time to bounce back and not let the disappointment against Inter ruin whatever momentum we have.

A must win, especially after that result which for me has mostly felt like we've suffered a loss rather than a draw which we barely deserved to get

Montella needs to show stronger character when we're leading in these bigger matches. He's so far allowed the team to retreat so much into themselves once we score that conceding would become an inevitability.

It was clear that we were struggling a lot against Inter on the set-plays, I don't think I remember us winning a single aerial dual against them, and yet we retreated so far back that we kept allowing them corssing and set-piece opportunities.

The changes he made were also baffling. Mati Fernandez looks finished from what I've seen, completely physically burned out, doesn't look like a pro athlete.

I really want to see better from him mostly. The players have shown that they do have fighting spirit this season, I don't want to see that being backpedalled by the coach himself who has so far been unable to instil the importance of closing a game out professionally
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

d'Arc.LP
post Nov 24 2016, 09:20 PM
Post #2

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6,786

We shouldn't be much comfortable knowing that we are just 2 points ahead of 6th place. We have done some good things in this season, but in order for us to collect some things in the end we have to be more consistent. I don't think January will see us with any mentionable improvement in the squad, so we have to get used to what we have and continue getting results. I would rather loose to Juventus and beat both Genoa and Inter than do like we did, so we have to be more careful and with feet on the ground. A loss and we can say goodbye to Euro Cup too not to mention Champions leauge.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Nov 24 2016, 11:53 PM
Post #3

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 6,730

QUOTE (han2503 @ Nov 24 2016, 08:45 PM) *
Time to bounce back and not let the disappointment against Inter ruin whatever momentum we have.

A must win, especially after that result which for me has mostly felt like we've suffered a loss rather than a draw which we barely deserved to get

Montella needs to show stronger character when we're leading in these bigger matches. He's so far allowed the team to retreat so much into themselves once we score that conceding would become an inevitability.

It was clear that we were struggling a lot against Inter on the set-plays, I don't think I remember us winning a single aerial dual against them, and yet we retreated so far back that we kept allowing them corssing and set-piece opportunities.

The changes he made were also baffling. Mati Fernandez looks finished from what I've seen, completely physically burned out, doesn't look like a pro athlete.

I really want to see better from him mostly. The players have shown that they do have fighting spirit this season, I don't want to see that being backpedalled by the coach himself who has so far been unable to instil the importance of closing a game out professionally

Don't totally disagree with this.

I feel most of the lost points this season have been down to fundamental errors from Montella. And I have praised him from the hilltops over the positive impact he's made since the summer - Milan look so much more together and cohesive, and it's been inspiring. But there have been some bewildering tactics and selections (Poli & Honda v Genoa REALLY?!) and it's felt at times like he undid his own good work now and then.

That said, Montella (and the players) was also the reason we beat Juve. Sure, Donna had a miracle save at the end, and who cares if 'it was onside' - the organisation in that match was terrific. Look at this in the 48th minute:

(IMG:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvjTARfWEAAJMl5.jpg)

That's players working to a well-adhered system. And Montella takes major plaudits for that.

He just needs to iron out the silly mistakes. Good work in January's transfer window and this is a UCL team 100%.

+Quote Post

d'Arc.LP
post Nov 25 2016, 07:25 AM
Post #4

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Bertolacci has recovered and could be called up for the game against Empoli. Romagnoli however will likely miss the game. #GdS

I wouldnt mind to see him in the pitch for 15-20 minutes.

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Nov 25 2016, 09:46 AM
Post #5

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,865

Let's keep Romagnoli safe. But I'd also like us to keep the second position safe. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

+Quote Post

d'Arc.LP
post Nov 25 2016, 04:12 PM
Post #6

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Montella: "Romagnoli has recovered. Bertolacci was out for many months, we find him back with great pleasure."

Montella: "I saw many games of Empoli, they are an organized team defensively, and able to play well."

Montella: "We must change our attitude in the final minutes, we concede too many chances to our opponents, we must work on it."

Montella: "Romagnoli is fit to play. Bertolacci is important for us."

Montella for Mati Fernandez: "He is a very skilled player one against one, when match is in progress, he might be useful. Now is good, he can have a significant timing.

Montella: "Plizzari? He is born in 2000, made his debut in a friendly. If any team want him we can sell with the same price as Donnarumma (laughs)."

Montella: "There's no tactics that can assure you the 3 points. To win you need quality players, a good manager and capable management."

Montella for Lapadula: "He is good, has an incredible desire to be a protagonist. But for the characteristics of Empoli, Luiz Adriano can be better."

Montella: "Romagnoli will play from the first minute.

Montella: "Suso is having continuity, but I think he can be more in the game. All the players are participating in the wins of the team. Suso is today, at the beginning was Bacca and then Locatelli. In a group, each player must put his qualities."

Montella: "Gomez? It is clear that he still needs to improve a lot. He is a player on which you can work."

Montella: "Berlusconi's words? The words of the president should never be commented as Galliani always says. There is no formation that makes you win. However, I always listen to what he says."

Montella: "Kucka? On the nervous level he is perhaps a little down. While physically he is fine. I will evaluate."

Montella: "Playing with trequartista? More or less, we already play in this way with Suso playmaker and Niang who often acts as a striker."

Montella: "Bacca's possible departure? It's premature to talk about the market, often in January the transfers come in the last few days. Bacca is doing his part in this Milan."

Montella: "Honda and Adriano? Also for them it's too early to talk about the market."

Montella: "The sale of the club? I don't think about it, I have to think only about tomorrow's game. Objectives? We must not make calculations, we must thing about winning a game. I haven't seen the calendars of other clubs."

Montella: "4-3-1-2 of Berlusconi? It's not a system you can win games with."

+Quote Post

han2503
post Nov 25 2016, 08:35 PM
Post #7

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (Danny @ Nov 24 2016, 11:53 PM) *
Don't totally disagree with this.

I feel most of the lost points this season have been down to fundamental errors from Montella. And I have praised him from the hilltops over the positive impact he's made since the summer - Milan look so much more together and cohesive, and it's been inspiring. But there have been some bewildering tactics and selections (Poli & Honda v Genoa REALLY?!) and it's felt at times like he undid his own good work now and then.

That said, Montella (and the players) was also the reason we beat Juve. Sure, Donna had a miracle save at the end, and who cares if 'it was onside' - the organisation in that match was terrific. Look at this in the 48th minute:

That's players working to a well-adhered system. And Montella takes major plaudits for that.

He just needs to iron out the silly mistakes. Good work in January's transfer window and this is a UCL team 100%.

Well, I doo agree that Montella has also done some really great things for this side, he's built on what Miha left us with last season and turned it into something that's working.

But like you so correctly said, he has made mistakes that have undone his good work. I think we've lost needless points this season, the draw against Inter has left me with the most bitter taste in my mouth because of the way it happened and to see them lose against a team called Beer Sheva yesterday continued to cement that bitter taste. But on paper, what could really end up hurting us are losses like the ones against Udine and Genoa. I just feel like there were games where we should have done a lot better in terms of closing them out and not inviting opposition onto us when we're defending a slender lead

That being said, the fact that we're playing with the youngest side in the league also plays into this. We don't have anyone who can really calm things down and set the tempo of our play. I think we need this type of player more than anything else in January.

+Quote Post

Danny
post Nov 25 2016, 10:58 PM
Post #8

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 6,730

QUOTE (han2503 @ Nov 25 2016, 08:35 PM) *
Well, I doo agree that Montella has also done some really great things for this side, he's built on what Miha left us with last season and turned it into something that's working.

Yes, in truth this is essentially Miha's team, Locatelli and Paletta aside.

But like you so correctly said, he has made mistakes that have undone his good work. I think we've lost needless points this season, the draw against Inter has left me with the most bitter taste in my mouth because of the way it happened and to see them lose against a team called Beer Sheva yesterday continued to cement that bitter taste. But on paper, what could really end up hurting us are losses like the ones against Udine and Genoa. I just feel like there were games where we should have done a lot better in terms of closing them out and not inviting opposition onto us when we're defending a slender lead

Can't disagree with any of that.

That being said, the fact that we're playing with the youngest side in the league also plays into this. We don't have anyone who can really calm things down and set the tempo of our play. I think we need this type of player more than anything else in January.

But do we? You're basically on about a Pirlo, old-school Gerrard etc. A regista who can put his foot on the ball and pass it around, seeing gaps for wingers and dictating the pace. Thing is, I don't think Montella's system is conducive to such a player. While it would have helped Miha's system, I'm not sure Montella's requires that kind of inventiveness from midfield. We seem to succeed through hard work, togetherness, organisation and some individual skill from the likes of the improving Suso. Would a regista style player not actually violate the system rather than assist it?

+Quote Post

han2503
post Nov 26 2016, 10:21 AM
Post #9

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (Danny @ Nov 25 2016, 10:58 PM) *
But do we? You're basically on about a Pirlo, old-school Gerrard etc. A regista who can put his foot on the ball and pass it around, seeing gaps for wingers and dictating the pace. Thing is, I don't think Montella's system is conducive to such a player. While it would have helped Miha's system, I'm not sure Montella's requires that kind of inventiveness from midfield. We seem to succeed through hard work, togetherness, organisation and some individual skill from the likes of the improving Suso. Would a regista style player not actually violate the system rather than assist it?

Well if you look at his Fiorentina side he had a great mix in his midfield of talented players capable of doing this. He had Pizzarro, Aquilani and Valero, sure they're not exactly Pirlo, but they're all very capable players on the ball. Imo we don't have any of that right now, and it's pointless to expect it from Locatelli at this point who imo is looking more like a dynamic mid capable of player on both sides of the ball rather than a regista.

I'm not saying we specifically need a Pirlo, but a Fabregas imo would be perfect for Montella's system. I wouldn't call him a regista either, but he's someone who's experienced and technically capable enough to accomplish this and this is exactly what we're lacking

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Nov 26 2016, 02:21 PM
Post #10

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Member No.: 2,008

Mediaset: Donnarumma; Abate, Paletta, Romagnoli, De Sciglio; Pasalic, Locatelli, M. Fernandez; Suso, Lapadula, Bonaventura.

Wow, is such an overhaul in midfield really necessary?

+Quote Post

d'Arc.LP
post Nov 26 2016, 03:00 PM
Post #11

Giovanissimi Nazionali

QUOTE (X-Offender @ Nov 26 2016, 04:21 PM) *
Mediaset: Donnarumma; Abate, Paletta, Romagnoli, De Sciglio; Pasalic, Locatelli, M. Fernandez; Suso, Lapadula, Bonaventura.

Wow, is such an overhaul in midfield really necessary?

I like it actually, except for Pasalic. I would rather see Kucka or Bertolacci there.

+Quote Post

d'Arc.LP
post Nov 26 2016, 08:28 PM
Post #12

Giovanissimi Nazionali

OFFICIAL XI vs Empoli (4-3-3): Donnarumma; Abate, G.Gomez, Romagnoli, De Sciglio; Mati, Locatelli, Pasalic; Suso, Lapadula, Bonaventura.

+Quote Post

han2503
post Nov 26 2016, 08:39 PM
Post #13

Prima Squadra
Group Icon

QUOTE (d'Arc.LP @ Nov 26 2016, 08:28 PM) *
OFFICIAL XI vs Empoli (4-3-3): Donnarumma; Abate, G.Gomez, Romagnoli, De Sciglio; Mati, Locatelli, Pasalic; Suso, Lapadula, Bonaventura.

Hmm, last time Montella made so many changes we lost against Genoa...

Let's hope this works out better for us. Can't afford to drop points against Empoli

+Quote Post

milanbuf88
post Nov 26 2016, 08:40 PM
Post #14

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 7,674

QUOTE (d'Arc.LP @ Nov 26 2016, 04:28 PM) *

Interesting choices for the line up. A few things I'm curious to see in action today. 1. Romagnoli and Gomez together. I hope they are disciplined enough. Both can be aggressive tacklers at times. 2. Mati and Passaic from the start. Mati needs to show more today than he did against Inter and Pasalic hasn't convinced me yet. 3. The front line. I'm hoping Bonaventura can have a big impact from the wing and the midfield doesn't suffer with him there. I really want Lapadula to score today. He has worked hard every time he's gotten game time so far. I hope Suso keeps his red hot form. I imagine we'all need any magic he can muster against a team sitting back defending.

+Quote Post

Fillipo Simone
post Nov 26 2016, 08:47 PM
Post #15

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

Here you go again Han (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

Anyway, seems like Mati is turning into the new Brocchi, Emerson or Emanuelson.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:18 AM