> Torres Is Staying With Atletico

dst
post Jul 25 2006, 01:36 PM
Post #1

Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 911

Fernando Torres has pledged his immediate future to Atletico Madrid.

The 22-year-old Spanish international striker, who enhanced his growing reputation at the World Cup this summer, had been coveted by Manchester United as a possible £20 millon-plus replacement for Ruud van Nistelrooy.

But Torres held a press conference in Madrid today and announced: "I want to stay. If I had wanted to leave Atletico Madrid I would have done it years ago.

"I feel fine here. There has been a lot of discussion about my possible exit but I am here for another year."

His representative, Antonio Sanz, had earlier hinted that Torres would stay, saying: "The player's intention is to remain at Atletico Madrid.

"Neither us, nor the club, has received an offer from Manchester United, or any other clubs for that matter."

Torres has been Atletico's top scorer in each of the last four seasons, and has become an automatic choice for the Spanish national side.

Sanz added: "Torres has two years left on his contract with Atletico and then we will see what happens.

"After the World Cup, there has been interest from Italian clubs but not from English clubs, and there hasn't been anything concrete."

Speculation about the striker's future intensified after Atletico coach Javier Aguirre told Spanish newspaper Marca that Torres' destiny at the Madrid club looked uncertain.

He said: "I've spoken to Fernando and he hasn't been able to guarantee his presence in the team in the forthcoming season.

"The market is still open and a lot of things can happen, but it is clear that every day that passes is one day less for something to occur.

"What I want to make clear, though, is that Fernando has a great commitment to the club."

That commitment has been underlined by the player's decision not to pursue a possible move to Serie A or the Premiership.

Goal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

dst
post Jul 25 2006, 01:36 PM
Post #2

Primavera
Group Icon

Member No.: 911

you think Milan have made a move??

This post has been edited by dst: Jul 25 2006, 01:36 PM

+Quote Post

Nova
post Jul 25 2006, 02:44 PM
Post #3

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 34

QUOTE (dst @ Jul 25 2006, 01:36 PM)
you think Milan have made a move??

God knows ... I'm still curious who milan will sign as sheva's substitute. If it's crespo , i'll be dissapointed. Not that i dont like crespo , he'll be more then welcome. But i really liked to see torres & gilardino up front . Young , talented & everything to play for.

+Quote Post

X-Offender
post Jul 25 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #4

The brightest sun is the purest gun

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 2,008

----------Kakà------------
---Torres----Gilardino---

That would be just the maximum. I'm disappointed that Milan couldn't manage to buy him. After Zambrotta, yet another great player slips away.

+Quote Post

kidnicky
post Jul 25 2006, 04:00 PM
Post #5

Pulcini Provinciali 98

Member No.: 2,165

yeah I agree with Nova, it'd be better to see in front to Gilardino and Torres but I doubt that Torres would be going to Milan since I'm sure that Aguirre would like a lot to still count with him in Atletico ... anyway we'll see .... and for me Crespo can stay where he is right now (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

btw Hi to all! I'm new here (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

Rey85
post Jul 25 2006, 04:08 PM
Post #6

Pulcini 99

Member No.: 73

dunno what milan is thinking, i just feel they just wanna save money only

+Quote Post

YoungGun
post Jul 25 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #7

Giovanissimi Regionali B

Member No.: 154

I believe that till now Milan won't buy any equal name with Sheva

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Jul 25 2006, 07:59 PM
Post #8

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,865

I don't think Milan are in any hurry to get a replacement for their striker position. They look more intent on beefing my mid and defence. And there's a good discussion going on...I think in the general football discussion boad about the merits and de merits of a lone striker.

In any case...Hernan is also a poacher kind of player....not our long shot marksman.

I think we can wait till winter season for our much talked about Sheva replacement. We're not playing in anything other than UEFA anyway and the race for the Scudetto is a lot less stiff thanks to Moggi

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:27 PM