8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How sad are we?, A quick analysis of the season ahead.

KillerMax
post Aug 6 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #1

Allievi Nazionali

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 1,388

You know, I'm really not that excited about all this hype around Pato. He is getting too much praise for so little he has done. And we have allegedly paid 22m Euros form him. That's a lot of money for someone who could well turn out to be just an average player at Milan. Just the way our official website is hyping this signing like it's the greatest thing that has ever happened in the World of football gets me all bored. We bought a 17 year old kid with braces and we call our summer signings over?

First of all that's too much unnecessary pressure on the kid.

Second of all, look at Barca's squad for god sake. They have the best young player in the World in Messi. And then they have Krkic and Dos Santos. I haven't seen much from Santos, but Krkic is easily a bigger talent than Pato. Pato is getting all this hype because he is Brazilian. Krkic on the other hand looks twice as promising as this guy. And Barca haven't paid a dime for any of these kids...

I'm not saying Pato is crap, but he is just another talented kid who is being dangerously hyped. And it's not like we have the jewel of young talents. IMO Barca have better ones. Looking at our team and its lack of pace and all those old players, we really needed some quality signings this season. And I keep hearing this thing about the team that just won the Champions League. You know, technically, saving your energy and players to only play good in the latter stages of CL and playing like crap with no energy and desire in other games doesn't count as success to me. We need a deep and healthy squad with determination and desire to win every single game. Whether it's Serie A or Champions League.

Now Pato is not even available to us until January and he is too young to really make a big difference. Because it's really not about how much technique you have. Look at Gourcuff, he is technically superior to most of our players but he is finding it hard to establish himself in the first team.

All in all, with the squad we have, it's only a matter of time until we run into serious problems and midway through the season we will find it hard to keep up and eventually will have to sacrifice competition after competition to help us recharge.

Please share your two cents.

This post has been edited by pKillerMax: Aug 6 2007, 10:46 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Tennie
post Aug 6 2007, 11:06 PM
Post #2

Token Girl
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,800

It's a brief two cents, but I agree with your basic argument, Max: the squad is lacking in depth. We need to be able to rotate players more to avoid overtiredness or injury and much as I love some of the bench players, they're just not up to playing high-tension games. We can't play the first team starters for every game - though I hope I'm wrong, I fear that something is going to give somewhere.

+Quote Post

kurtsimonw
post Aug 6 2007, 11:14 PM
Post #3

Prima Squadra

Member No.: 3,660

In my opinion the sole reason they're hyping Pato up the way they are is because this transfer window has been, and will continue to be, a complete failure. We have not made one single worthwhile transfer.

People get the wrong idea about young kids, they hear they have all this talent and automatically think they're really World great players. Messi, who is a whole lot better than Pato, only really played his first full season this past year and he's now 21. Pato still has many years before he should even play a meaningful game in my opinion. He's been hyped up so much so the fans don't feel as disappointed in what we've done this season.

As I said, Pato is for the future, not for now, so this transfer window has been unproductive and a waste of time, we've not improved our team at all. We're the same old team that finished 4th, while the other mega-powers in Europe have been adding to their already great squads to tae our European title away from us.

Prediction for next season: 2 trophies. European Super Cup & World Club Championship. 4th in the league, QF in the Champions League.

+Quote Post

Portman
post Aug 6 2007, 11:42 PM
Post #4

Berretti

Member No.: 347

Well, I'm not that sad TBH.

I was expecting a Summer like this. Or a big-name or nobody (Pato is for the future). Silvio Berlusconi is confident on the team and would only splash a huge sum in Ronaldinho. We all know that.

But I totally agree we would need 3-4 top signings: FW, CB, CM and possibly a LB to compete for the 5 trophies.

We've a top-class 11 and some good subs:

---------------Dida--------------
Oddo--Nesta--Kaladze--Janku.
---------------Pirlo--------------
-------Gattuso---Seedorf------
---------------Kaka'------------
------Gilardino-----Ronaldo---

+ Favalli, Bonera, Serginho, Gourcuff, Ambrosini, Inzaghi. Until December.

Sorry but I did not put Maldini up there because after what I saw in the Inter-Milan... I hope he only plays the CWC in Tokyo and then retires. It's just too much for Il Capitano to play vs. world-class fowards nowadays. It's hard but it's the truth.

But as you can see, our first 11 is as good as any other top-team.

About squad-depth, we're nowhere near Inter, Chelsea, Barcelona, Liverpool or Madrid.

Predictions for the new season? I'll tell you on the 1st of September.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Talking about Krkic and Dos Santos? Well, Krkic is 1 year younger than Pato and Dos Santos and I can say that those 2 are probably the best born 89 (both hyped by their Nike-contrats). At least at the moment.

And I don't see Krkic a bigger talent than Pato or Giovani dos Santos.

Messi as the best young player? Young = Until 20? If so I agree.

But that's because Barcelona have the best youth system in the world. Milan, Juventus, ManUtd, Liverpool, etc are nowhere near that or even the Arsenal one.

This post has been edited by Porty: Aug 6 2007, 11:52 PM

+Quote Post

redbabies
post Aug 7 2007, 12:11 AM
Post #5

'the Duck'

Member No.: 144

There has never been a young player that conviced me more than Pato.

I dont wanna overrate him. But he has everything. Look at his goals for Internacionale and Brazil he has an incredible powerfull shot, great ball control, and is very fast.

I dunno why some people dont like him as much as the others.

About the transfer campaing in general I'm not very upset. Milan has that kind of strategy; they dont buy a lot of great players in 1 season coz they know they'll find it difficult to adapt. They try to introduce 1 or 2 players at a time.

And that has worked these last years.

+Quote Post

Portman
post Aug 7 2007, 12:33 AM
Post #6

Berretti

Member No.: 347

QUOTE (redbabies @ Aug 7 2007, 12:11 AM)
I dunno why some people dont like him as much as the others.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

+Quote Post

Warchant
post Aug 7 2007, 12:44 AM
Post #7

Giovanissimi Nazionali
Group Icon

Member No.: 703

oh how quickly people forget where we were this time last year

imo, we are much better off than we were this time last year...so no, i'm not sad one bit

+Quote Post

Rossoneri7
post Aug 7 2007, 03:55 AM
Post #8

Smoking Bianco

Member No.: 191

I do agree with Maxs points about ppl hyping up Pato to be another one of Milan's stars, and he is too young to handle such pressures.

When Gilardino came, ppl were expecting 30+ goals/ season ... Especially with players like Rui, Kaka', Shevchenko, Pirlo, and Seedorf supporting him. In the end, it is football, it is the difference in the type of football that you play at a high level club like Milan or a mediocre club like Parma.

I hope Pato gets off on the right foot and that he doesn't have to carry so much pressure with him when he wears the Milan shirt (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/devilsmiley.gif) I hope he sets the CL and Serie A on fire with his quality. Still, technically he has to adapt .. Which is not so easy .. Gila and Gourcuff are suffering from this. They don't have the tactical ability of players like Ronaldo, Shevchenko, etc .. Again experience comes into play here ... Thus, Pato needs time to adapt.

Next season, I truly believe we have a good team set to challenge for the Scudetto and CL. Not forgetting the CWC and ESC .. Milan is a big club, mere transfers don't influence Milan's season, it never has and never will. If Milan is to invest it is for top players like Zambrotta, Buffon, Ronaldinho, etc .. But mediocre players rarely get a chance to take part, even though we lack depth. We have a coach who knows exactly what he needs to reach his targets and has set his course along time ago, .. With that said, Ancelotti is confident of his team and I am all for the coach.

Sure we as fans might have preferences and reservations about who we want and who should play where etc ... But at the end of the day, this is AC Milan the reigning European Champions. What more do you want from a team that demolished United at the San Siro in the semis .. Milan really proved it's pedigree on that night (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

I hope Silvio does get his man in the end, which will be enough to win a double this season, IMO (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/king.gif)

+Quote Post

bigmacmtl
post Aug 7 2007, 04:26 AM
Post #9

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 2,592

QUOTE (Warchant @ Aug 6 2007, 06:44 PM)
oh how quickly people forget where we were this time last year

imo, we are much better off than we were this time last year...so no, i'm not sad one bit

last year was considered a failure but there was a reason behind it yet we did sign bonera, gourcuff, oli (which seemed good at the time) and brocchi came back. but so far they've managed to sign no one who can actually play for us.

this time around we are a in a much better situation financially with the ticket sales and no calciopoli yet they've managed to sign no one, so no i dont see how it's the same situation as last year. this year is worse.

so please example to me how we are in a much better situation?

This post has been edited by bigmacmtl: Aug 7 2007, 04:28 AM

+Quote Post

Warchant
post Aug 7 2007, 05:22 AM
Post #10

Giovanissimi Nazionali
Group Icon

Member No.: 703

QUOTE (bigmacmtl @ Aug 6 2007, 10:26 PM)
last year was considered a failure but there was a reason behind it yet we did sign bonera, gourcuff, oli (which seemed good at the time) and brocchi came back. but so far they've managed to sign no one who can actually play for us.

this time around we are a in a much better situation financially with the ticket sales and no calciopoli yet they've managed to sign no one, so no i dont see how it's the same situation as last year. this year is worse.

so please example to me how we are in a much better situation?

i believe calciopli will hurt our team for a few more years. i think there were 3-4 players, who went to other teams, who would've come to our team last year if we hadn't gone through that scandal...i also believe that sheva would still be here.

we also have oddo and ronaldo in our squad this year as well...which i believe will greatly increase our chances domestically and internationally.

+Quote Post

LaPalma
post Aug 7 2007, 02:05 PM
Post #11

Insert cool title here<--
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,792

I have to agree with Max, that it'll be another Scudettoless season for us, as Inters squad (not their first 11) is way ahead of us. As Galliani said we're obciously stronger than last season, as we now have Oddo and Ronaldo. Of course I'm not as confident as R7 is (who can be (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) ?), but I think qualfying for the Cl should be achieved without big problems this season. I can't see Juve anwhere near us, they lack the quality they had in 2005/2006. Nedved, Del Pierro an Trez...they're all over their prime.

For the transfer window...of course I'm dissapointed, but as Porty said: This wasn't unexpected. On the other hand: Other Top Clubs such as Real haven't finished spectacular transfers as well, and Barcas offensive may be impressive but they still don't have a good DM, and the Messi, Ronaldinho,Henry, Eto'o attack won't work for long I believe. As for us, I just just can't see us winning the CL again. Last year ways impressive, especially the victory over ManU in the SS but we can't expect Kaká to score another 10 goals in this seasons CL. And I won't even think of Ricky being injured for longer than a weak. Without him we don't stand a chance against the "big" teams.

+Quote Post

KillerMax
post Aug 7 2007, 08:23 PM
Post #12

Allievi Nazionali

Member No.: 1,388

QUOTE (LaPalma @ Aug 7 2007, 07:05 AM)
And I won't even think of Ricky being injured for longer than a weak. Without him we don't stand a chance against the "big" teams.

That's what bothers me. If Ronaldinho gets injured, there is Messi and Henry to take his place. But if Kaka gets injured, we are forced to play with 3 defensive midfielders and Seedorf as AM since giving Gourcuff a chance to play is beyond Ancelotti. So without Kaka, it looks like this:

Gattuso Ambrosini Brocchi
---------Seedorf------------

And we all know that line up is as bad as it looks.

+Quote Post

Jack Sparrow
post Aug 8 2007, 04:37 AM
Post #13

Loves Greek Women esp Fay
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,865

I dunno Max. As I heard, the primary reason, why we dumped Cassano(besides the Real spat) was coz Carlo said, he wanted to give Yoann more space on the field. And Seedorf is really good as a trquartista.

FWIW I think our first team and our first line of subs are really good. On paper our subs are not heavy weights but they know their job, they've been doing it for a long time and they can do it well. The ONLY way the sh!t would hit the fan would be to have a 'atypical' injury ravaged season. You know the sort. 2 frontline strikers injured,2 frontline defenders injured, 2 midfielders out all AT the same time.

Nope we've spent more cash than any other club on medical and training facilities. I don't see this happening.

+Quote Post

MizNelson
post Aug 8 2007, 05:54 AM
Post #14

Dida per sempre

Member No.: 3,563

I am in agreement of the assessment that Milan are hyping the bejesus out of Pato as if he's the LeBron James of world football in hopes that it'll take our minds off of yet another lousy transfer season, the highlight of which was paying some peachfuzzed kid the moon and putting the world on his shoulders, while we continue our ridiculous Brazilian love affair. And we can't even play the guy until next year!

So, in the meantime, we've got another Scudetto-less and almost certainly injury-ravaged season to look forward to. We'll suck in the first few months and forget how to score again (Galliani might want to start looking in the Yellow Pages under "strikers"), and during the January transfer market we'll consequently make some panic buy that won't contribute a dime in a bucket. And Pato sure as hell isn't going to make an impact right away, because it takes time to learn the team system. I think only the Hiroshima bomb crashed with a louder thud. The management is going to cause a revolt among the Milan fans if this nonsense keeps up.

It's BS like this that are going to make our CL success look more like an act of God than the fruit of our hard work.

+Quote Post

bigmacmtl
post Aug 8 2007, 06:01 AM
Post #15

Giovanissimi Nazionali

Member No.: 2,592

QUOTE (Warchant @ Aug 6 2007, 11:22 PM)
i believe calciopli will hurt our team for a few more years. i think there were 3-4 players, who went to other teams, who would've come to our team last year if we hadn't gone through that scandal...i also believe that sheva would still be here.

we also have oddo and ronaldo in our squad this year as well...which i believe will greatly increase our chances domestically and internationally.

ya i know those 2 will help alot but i think theres just too many factors against us. to do anything great this season we will need all the luck we can get and NO major injuries

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:39 PM