> Romario hits 1000, Congratulations!

kurtsimonw
post May 21 2007, 04:15 PM
Post #1

Prima Squadra

Group: Helpers
Member No.: 3,660

Romario claims landmark

Romario registered what he believes is the 1,000th goal of his distinguished career at the weekend.

The former Brazilian international, now 41, fired home from the penalty spot for current club Vasco da Gama as they beat Sport Recife 3-1.

It is claimed that it is Romario's 1,000 goal - although over 200 of those attributed to him have come in youth games, friendlies and testimonials, which are not normally counted towards official records.

However, the former Barcelona and PSV Eindhoven ace was delighted to have claimed his own personal landmark.

"It has been very difficult to score this goal," said Romario.

"Many things went through my mind in a few seconds. It was normal to be very nervous. I have been waiting for this since the year started, it has been easier to score the first 12 goals of this year than this last one.

"I'd like to thank all the people who have always been by my side - my parents, my children, everybody. I'm really shocked."

Despite his age - Romario is not yet ready to retire.

"I have been saying since I am 28 years old that I am going to stop playing but it is something really difficult to decide," he said.

"From now on I have to get used to that. I think that my retirement will happen naturally, it's no use to keep on talking about that all the time.

"In fact if I continue playing depends on the coach Celso Roth. I have been speaking a lot with him and the president Eurico Miranda and many of my team-mates about this.

"If we all agree that I can still keep on helping the team I will continue playing but if they say that I am not really helpful then I will ask to stop."

Sky Sports

Whether or not he actually has scored 1000, I think it's irrelevant.

In my personal opinion, he's possibly the greatest Brazillian player in their history. Pele? He played his trade in the Americas his whole career, which in my mind proves nothing. He played his International football at a time when anybody outside the top 10 in the World rankings could be easily beaten 5 or 6-0.

Congratulations Romario! (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

dst
post May 21 2007, 10:21 PM
Post #2

Primavera
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 911

Congratulations!! (IMG:http://cyrus.medialayer.net/~m1ke/milanfan.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Pele who?? I've only watched highlights but to me (and to most Brazilians) Garrincha is the true legend...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:30 PM